Chapter Two

Two of them.

Chapter Two:

How long had the silence been going on? Eric tried to come up with splendid ice breakers but the faces of s weren’t anything compared to the look Hyesung had plastered upon his. The leader now regretted everything that had something to do with Jung Hyuk. Eric reached his hand to his best friend Andy but the maknae treaded back, the frown between his eyebrows as deep as a canyon. How long was the silence indeed?

“I can see you are all very shocked of what you see.” Jung Hyuk spoke honoured. “But let me introduce myself,” he stepped closer, nudging Eric’s shoulder, and bowed. “I am Mun Jung Hyuk. And like my five minutes later born twin brother said, we are twins.”

Junjin and Minwoo scanned the look-alike up and down. They didn’t see any difference between him and Eric, except the hair colour was slightly lighter brown, and if they really pierced their eyes at the man, they could notice the eye colour was almost black. Dongwan was quieter than ever. Eric was worried. He didn’t know it would shock the five enormously. He thought they would understand.

“Eric,” Minwoo whispered. “Why…didn’t you tell us?”

The leader shook his head, sighed and shrugged.

“Because he is a scary cat.” Hyesung replied, crossed his arms onto his chest and stormed out of the office.

Eric looked at the others sadly, hoping that they would stay as Minwoo glanced at the maknaes and Dongwan and closed his eyes when Dongwan and Andy silently walked off. Junjin and Minwoo stayed but not for long as they too left after minutes of excruciating silence.

Then there was just Jung Hyuk and Eric.

“This is what you wanted right? This is why you came, huh?” Eric bombed him. “You were jealous of how greatly everything went for me so you wanted to come back and take it away from me, right?”

Jung Hyuk shrugged and flashed a smirk. “You were always the smart one…like everyone said.” He commented lowly. “I enjoyed the show brother…I enjoyed to see how the feeling of betrayal emitted in their eyes. I enjoy how you slowly get alone and no one cares about you anymore.”  He added.

“Have you done your research of Shinhwa?” Eric asked.

“No. Why?” Jung Hyuk muttered.

“If you had,” The leader of the mentioned group leaned down and glared at his twin. “You would know that those five are the best thing that has ever happened to me and they are my real brothers…not you.”

Eric nodded quickly and walked out of the room.

Jung Hyuk fisted his hand. “I didn’t come back to be humiliated. I came back to revenge, Eric.” He spoke ominously and exited the room after his brother, but didn’t see Junjin, who just came out of the toilet and had heard what Jung Hyuk had said.   

 

“Please.” Eric begged. “Please, listen to me.” He tried again in front of Dongwan. But the humorous guy from Shinhwa stared at him sternly, arms laced on his chest and he didn’t move. Eric was frustrated as he tried to get past him. “Please, Wannie. Please. I am extremely sorry okay!? If you listen to me now, I will tell you what happened…just…please…let me in.”

Eric closed his eyes and covered his eyes with his palms as he heard a sigh and the guy moved away from the door. “Get in.” Dongwan prompted.

The leader entered the apartment and waited for Dongwan to gesture him to get into the living room. The younger lad asked him to sit down and take a glass of water as he anticipated whatever the leader was to tell to him. It took a while until Eric knew how to start.

“Jung Hyuk…” he spoke. “…almost killed me when I was a child.”

“He…” Dongwan gulped. “…what?”

A silence descended between them as Eric swallowed and set his eyes to the man in front of him. He was staring at him, knowing that Eric wasn’t joking, as he cleared his throat and signed that maybe he should go on. The leader nodded.

“We had chemistry together.” He explained. “And we were supposed to mix liquids together and burn them, and something happened and all I remember was the explosion that came from my matter.”

Dongwan nodded understanding. “Well, how did you know it was Jung Hyuk?” he questioned.

“I didn’t…until I woke up in the school nursery and he was holding a pillow on my face.” Eric answered, his eyes glittering from fear. “He claimed to be at fault, and I let it go, because…he is my brother…and thought that he wouldn’t do it again if I was nice to him…until…”

“Until?” Dongwan blinked his eyes.

“Until I was almost driven over.” The older man replied. “That wasn’t proven…but I know it was him.”

Dongwan gasped quietly. “How?” He interrogated.

“He knew the driver.” Eric shrugged. “The reason I am telling this is—“

“—because he is a lunatic and you had to leave him and pretend you have no brother so no one would put him into jail?”

Eric was wide-eyed, mouth open, and then he nodded.

“Wow.” Dongwan exhaled. “I didn’t know…and maybe, just maybe…It’s my turn to apologise.”

“Please don—“

“I am sorry Eric.”

 

Eric hung his head low when the door wasn’t opened. He knew Minwoo was home as he had texted and asked where he was. After checking the practice room, recording room and couple other places Minwoo loved, Eric decided to search him from the apartment. Tens of times of ringing the doorbell, but Minwoo was too persistent and infuriated to open the door.

Fine, Eric thought as he slammed his hands against the doorframes and heaved a sigh. “Minwoo ya…I love you.” He said. “It hurts me that you act like this. What happened to the ‘brothers no matter what’ -deal?” he questioned.

The door was still. Eric bit his lips.

“Minwoo ya,” he crooned. “The reason I didn’t tell was because I already have a brother…a twin brother.”

“Who?” Eric startled when the voice whispered behind the door. “Who, Eric?”

“You Minwoo.” The leader smiled. “You are my twin brother from another mother.”

The hinges on the door squeaked and the surface rammed against the large nose and Eric jumped back, hands rubbing the aching spot. Minwoo had tears in his eyes as he leered at the leader and claimed him to a bear hug. Older man gasped and the hug tightened, the lungs in his stomach screaming and bursting. But he hugged back. Then Minwoo pulled off and hit him slightly, not painfully but a little hard.

“Yah!” he said. “You could have told before!” he reprimanded.

Eric blushed from embarrassment.

“I wouldn’t have killed you anyways.” Minwoo laughed the tears still under his eyes. “I just was kinda shocked...you know, finding out that we aren’t the only brothers you have.”

The leader exhaled. “Believe me when I say,” he prompted. “I really hope he wouldn’t be my brother.”

 

Eric decided that it was enough of apologising on that day as he slumped down to his couch and loosened the tie on his neck. He threw his head back and rubbed his lethargic face when his doorbell rang and the bleeping against the device on his door speeded up. He frowned and advanced the foyer slowly, grabbing the golf bat from the wall, when the door flew open and Junjin entered.

“YAH! What the hell!?” Eric screamed, his heartbeat rising to 180.

“Sorry.” Junjin closed the door after him and set his eyes to the leader. “…for everything.”

The leader cringed and watched how Junjin played with his fingers up-tightly as if being in the most stressing situation ever. The second youngest member of Shinhwa harrumphed and looked around the room as if trying to see whether there was someone who could eavesdrop to them. The first thought that occurred in Junjin’s mind was Jung Hyuk. Eric lowered the bat down and swallowed the dry lump in his throat.

“What do you want?” The leader interrogated. “If you came here to scold me and stuff, I know. I am unfa—“

“I said sorry, didn’t I?” Junjin retorted.

The older man nodded slightly and moved out of the way when Junjin marched past him to the living room. Eric put the bat down onto a chair and followed the younger guy expectantly. Junjin collapsed onto his couch and watched him doing the same.

“What do I have to do to earn a drink around here?” Junjin muttered. “I practically ran.”

Eric rushed up and scurried towards his kitchen. Soon he came back, holding a bottle of ice-cold water and a glass in his hands. Junjin took it and poured the glass full, letting the water gutter from the edges. He gulped it down in one go and then fixed his eyes to the leader who stared at the glass.

“He wants to revenge.” The fair-skinned man explained. “Your brother that is.”

Eric blinked his eyes.

“I overheard him speaking alone.” Junjin told nonchalantly. “And I felt sorry towards you…and wasn’t angry. You know hyung…” He adjusted his pose, his brown jacket creasing. “…I love you enormously lot and I get sad if we say rude stuff to each other.”

“So?” Eric murmured. “What’s your point?”

Junjin scratched his chin and chuckled. “Whatever that bastard is going to revenge and when and how, I am willing to help you. Even if it took my life, I will help you.” He stated.

“Yah, Jin ah,” The leader tapped the surface of the desk. “No one is going to die.”

Junjin snorted. “It’s a metaphor, hyung.” He responded. “What I am trying to say is that…I am on your side…forever.”

A smile curved onto the thick lips.

“Thanks, Jinnie…really.” The older man spoke. “I am tired of apologising.”

Junjin nodded and poured another glass.

“I need you, Jin…” Eric mumbled and looked at Junjin, who swallowed the liquid into his throat like it was the last thing to keep him alive. “I need your help.”  

 

 

When Andy arrived to his apartment, he was ready to turn around as soon as he saw the leader standing in front of the door. Eric frowned sadly when Andy shifted his body away and strolled away from him. But the leader strode behind him and managed to catch the hand. Andy reluctantly turned around and pouted, the corners of his mouth falling down.

“What do you want?” He questioned.

“To talk.” Eric responded.

“I am not willing to talk with liars, hyung.” Andy nudged the hyung’s shoulder and walked off towards the apartment door.

Eric followed him. “Andy, please!” he shouted. “Listen to me!”

“I SAID…” The maknae yelled. “I WILL NOT TALK TO LIARS!”

And he banged the door closed right in front of the leader. Eric let his tears flow freely as he kneeled down to the floor and slammed his fists against the door.

“I beg you Andy…” he said. “Open the door and at least, listen to what I got to say.”

The door opened and Eric was about to stand up when Andy shook his head and crossed his arms onto his chest, glaring at the oldest member furiously. Eric gulped and laced his fingers, looking up with his big, shimmering eyes, the tears becoming dry on his cheeks.

“He knows what you mean to me, Andy.” The leader spoke. “He knows what losing you would mean to me and to Shinhwa.”

The maknae still had the angry frown between his eyebrows.

“He would do anything to make my sweet and awesome maknae, the reason I had friends in high school, fade away.” Eric wooed. “You are the best Andy. When you left from the room, my heart broke. You are my best friend; my little brother.”

“Tsk…” The maknae commented. “…you said that to Minwoo too…”

“No, to him I said he is my twin. To you I said—YAH! You talked with him!?” Eric yelled.

Andy nodded and looked down at the begging man.

“You look pathetic, did you know that?” The younger lad suddenly snorted. “If I were you, I would get up now and show the last piece of dignity I have left.”

Eric pursed his lips pissed off and stood up, chuckling when Andy slapped him softly.

“Andy ya,” Eric pinched the chubby cheek.  “I love you. If you don’t forgive me now or never, I will leave Shinhwa and never contact you--”

“Apology accepted. Now can you leave? I am waiting for someone!” The maknae helped the leader to turn and he pushed him towards the lifts, which signed that they had arrived. “And don’t worry. I already apologised when I heard that Dongwan hyung had done it too.” Before the doors closed, Eric saw the tongue coming out of Andy’s mouth.

“You damn son of a—“

The doors closed.

 

Jung Hyuk looked at his nails when Eric came out of the maknae’s apartment building. He leaned against the car, Eric owned, and waited for him. When his twin was standing across him, they shared the long, murderous gaze.

“So? Did he accept it?” Jung Hyuk asked. “Or was he persistent till the end?”

Eric snorted. “You still think you know Shinhwa.” He stated. “Well, let me tell you something, bro. If they left me because of this misunderstanding you caused, I wouldn’t deserve to be in this group.”

Jung Hyuk gritted his teeth.

“Whatever you are using to retaliate,” Eric mumbled. “It won’t work.”

“On the contrary brother,” Jung Hyuk whispered. “I will find something to ruin your life…like you did with mine.”

With that Jung Hyuk opened the door and sat onto the passenger seat. Eric bit his inner cheeks and followed, seating down next to him. The silence was heated, full of anger. Jung Hyuk glanced at Eric through the view mirror and the other one did the same.

“I am not weak.” Eric commented. “You will see.”

 

Hyesung didn’t answer the texts. He didn’t answer the calls. He didn’t answer emails and he wasn’t answering to the doorbell and knocking. He had never seen Hyesung that angry. What was wrong with him? He never showed any feelings concerning Eric. He was always cold. Only his baby bird, maknae and Minwoo and Dongwan needed his caretaking. Not that it annoyed Eric…not at all. He comprehended when Hyesung said no.

“Come on, come on! PICK UP! THE PHONE!” Eric chanted to the gadget he was holding on his ear. “I know you see me calling. Please…answer.”

But after several slow beeps, they speeded up and the call cut off. Eric sighed and put the phone down, rolling it in his hands. After five minutes he dialled the same number and tried again, sadness parading upon his face. Hyesung didn’t want to answer. He was a tougher slice. Eric threw his phone onto the pillow next to him as he drowned his head into the sheets and exhaled exasperated.

Then his phone vibrated, and he grabbed it like he had never grabbed it before.

But the message wasn’t from Hyesung, but from Minwoo. Practice room tomorrow…need to check some things…don’t ignore!!!! M. The leader inhaled and puffed the air out as he closed his eyes and fell asleep almost immediately.

 

Eric halted his steps. He was staring at the slender figure opposite of him, damning the nervous feeling that invaded his body abruptly. He was like a statue. Hyesung glared at him, the famous cross hue in his eyes, while the hands glued onto the hips. Why was Hyesung so angry indeed? Eric couldn’t bring himself to ask that out loud, but it was clear that the main vocalist knew what he had in his mind.

“I am so…so…so, mad at you!” Hyesung spilled out all of a sudden.

“Why?” Eric interrogated. His voice was sickeningly silent and shivery. “Why are you so mad at me?”

Hyesung tsked. “Because, you lied to us, Eric. You have lied to us all these years.” He answered. “I feel like I don’t know you Eric. You…” Hyesung bit his lower lip, his face showing nothing more but upset. “I feel like, I was being deceived.”

Eric couldn’t look at the bereft eyes.

“Hyesung,” He crooned, reaching his arm to the vocalist. “I…I’m so…”

The younger guy stepped away and turned around and lifted his arms onto his chest, the palms decorating the upper arms. Eric’s chest was clenching as he advanced the thinner lad and pondered on what to say next. When he was behind Hyesung, he looked at the creature longer than he had done before.

“Hyesung…” he murmured. “I am sorry.”

Eric curled his arms over the little prince and hugged him from behind, sensing the resisting preparedness in the body against his. But the leader glomped tauter and nuzzled his nose against the neck. He repeated the apology and wished it would avail him.

“Eric.” Hyesung prompted. “Stop it.”

“There aren’t any cameras here Pil Kyo ya,” Eric told. “So no one will see.”

Hyesung sighed, looking around as he raised his hand onto the part where Eric’s arms met. Eric said he was sorry sincerely, and he heard it. He had known Eric long enough to realise when he was actually apologetic.

“You will have to let me hug you or I will do it in the broadcasts.” The older man muttered. “And I will do it.”

“Eric.” Hyesung whispered. “You don’t need to apologise. I know you hate it.”

Older man nodded and tightened his arm force. Hyesung smiled and tapped the forearms, absorbing the warmth that radiated from them. Then Eric let him go and they shared smiles and glances.

 

Dongwan entered the building, walked downstairs and was about to go to the practice room when the shadow of a tall man shocked him. The guy halted his steps and frowned, spying on Jung Hyuk who was smirking ominously, examining the room.

What on earth is he doing? Dongwan wondered sceptically.

“You aren’t weak, eh?” Jung Hyuk mumbled and began to laugh.

Dongwan swallowed.

Something was wrong.  

 

A/N: took a while. But i am trying to update not so often :P Merong! 

How does this continue?

Hmm...how indeed?! *le gasp*

Comment please. ^^

여러분 사랑해요!!