Chapter 6: A Promise

Strange and a Stranger

Luhan's POV:

The painful memories of the incident rang vividly in the back of my mind. When I was four, I'd went on a vacation with my family to Busan where I'd fell off halfway climbing the Dalmaji Hill and was saved. I had suffered a serioushead concussion and it had took me weeks to regain consciousness. When I woke up, the unrelenting headache kicked in and I was bawling my eyes out the entire afternoon. The pain I felt now was exactly the same, except for it felt more painful as my parents weren't here to comfort me.

I squinted and saw the teary Seohyun and the wried Jongin by my bed. Jongin was my best friend since middle school. He was the one who noticed my lone figure and started a chatter between us and so, thereafter, we became close friends. Alongside with Seohyun, they were the only ones I could trust as I lost my trust in Uncle Chanyeol.

"Where am I?" I studied the surroundings.

"You were in the hospital. Hyung, what happened to you? We were all worried sick, especially Seohyun." Jongin instinctively reached for my hand and clutched it between his warm hands.

"Yes. What happened to you?" Seohyun sniffled through her sobs.

What happened to me? I rummaged through my sea of thoughts and was able to fish out what happened earlier.

 

"Luhan, there's something I have to tell you. You may feel lost and helpless after hearing this, but you have to hear this."

The moment I'd stepped into the restaurant, Uncle Junmyeon had been wearing the identical expression: forehead creased, eyebrows forced to touch each other in the middle and eyes kept shut. These wried features were giving me a bad instinct and telling me that it was nothing good to hear.

Is it about Seohyun? I thought.

"Your parents and I were friends since before you were bornt. We would share gossips together, have tea together, play and fool around each other and many more things we would do. They got married and gave birth to you and I was happy for them."

He paused and opened his eyes. His eyes were red and b with tears.

"Uncle Junmyeon, are you okay?" I asked frantically and he shook his head no.

"When you're five, we discovered that your father were diagnosed with a strange disease, the "Demon's Disease"."

"Yes I know."

"You dont know anything so just shut up and let me finish!" 

I was taken aback by the sudden change in his attitude, but if I were to take his attitude when I was in Seohyun's apartment that day into account, I would consider his attitude towards me had never changed. He doesn't like me.

"This disease is hereditary."

His voice was barely audible but I still heard it. My father had this disease before he'd left, this disease is hereditary and I'm his son. What does he mean? He means I-

"Yes, I am telling you that you are contracted with the "Demon's Disease". This disease is hereditary and you gets it from your parents."

My hand went numb and released the glass cup from my grip. I watched as the cup hit the ground with a loud clash and shattered into thousands of pieces, revealing its rich brown contents. What have I just heard?

"The reason I'm telling you this is because, the doctors should never keep the truth from the patients. And, I feel indignant for you because you have the right to know and-"

"Enough. Enough of it!" I hollered at the top of my voices. Many turned their heads in our way and were staring a hole at us in annoyance but I couldn't care. If they were to judge, let them be. I was already been judged before, judged as a poor thing who lost their parents at a very young age. In this world of reality, who wasn't been judged?

'Don't be ashamed to weep, 'tis right to grieve. Tears are only water, and flowers, trees and fruit cannot grow without water. but there must be sunlight also. A wounded heart will heal in time and when it does, the memory and love of our lost ones is sealed inside to comfort us.' -Brian Jacques

A quote which Seohyun had quoted for me. Tears were threatening to fall, no, they were falling. They rolled down my cheeks one by one and I was supposed to feel relieved bit by bit, but it turned otherwise. I felt sadder and angrier. Why is Heaven making a fool out of us? Why us?

'Move on. Create new memories and leave ours behind. I just want to bring them with me to afterlife and let it be hidden till we meet again.'

The last words my mother had said. It's sounded like a promise I'd with her: to move on and to not shed another tear again, and I broke the promise. In fact, I had broken it years ago as I was depressed.

I went aimlessly in the middle of the road, without any specific direction to head. Cars swerved to avoid being a victim in the killing-someone-with-a-car misfortune which might put them behind the bars. Drivers chided that if I were to court death, do it in a quiet place and never drag them down.

And there was just one unlucky fellow.

This accounted for why I was lying in a hospital.

 

I watched the door screech open and the person who I didn't want to see was standing by the door. Uncle Chanyeol strode towards me, bent forward and sandwiched my hand between his which I felt uncomfortable and shook my hand off his.The man who brought me up for ten years, who lent his head through my harshest times was actually a liar.

"Seohyun, Jongin, can I excuse the two of you for awhile? I need a word withncle Chanyeol privately." After they left, I bored my eyes into his, seemingly searched for the answer; the cluelessness if he was ignorant about it or the guilt if he wasn't.

"You know?"

"Huh-"

"My illness."

There was silence. And I found the answer. He knows, yeah, he knows.

"How do you know about-" 

"That's the least important thing." I interrupted him. "Why do I have to get informed of my illness from an outsider?" I scowled and realised that I used the word 'outsider' on Uncle Junmyeon and I was also meaning that I was treating Uncle Chanyeol as an insider. I'd long treated Uncle Chanyeol like my biological father who took care of me dearly and now, he let me down.

"I'm afraid-"

"Afraid that I'll kill myself?" I completed his sentence.

Tears were streaming down his face but I don't give a damn. Everything I thought of him seemed to be fake. I couldn't believe I would live with him for ten years. "Afraid that your old self will return. It's undesirable to see you muffle sobs under your blankets everyday, lead a life which you don't deserve and you've finally moved on and I don't want to see you-"

At the mention of my vulnerable past, an unrelenting pain kicked in as I gripped onto my skull, gritted my teeth and let out groans of pain.

"Luhan-"

"Leave. I'll never want to see you again."

And he'd left without another word.

 

Many things happened today: from fainting in the school to knowing about my disease which I wished it didn't exist to losing my trust in the man whom I'd lived with for ten years. I gazed over my shoulders at the female who dozed off while staying up overnight to take care of me. I looked at the clock, it was 11.35pm, no wonder she was tired.

Will she forsake me if I tell her?

The sound of my arms rubbing against the bed sheet, in an attempt to prop myself up, woke her up. She smiled and whispered, "You're awake."

She stretched her arms and gently gripped mine to help me sit on my bed. 

"Seohyun-ah, can I ask you a question?" I mumbled under my breath while she nodded. "Will you leave me if I'm no longer able of taking care of you?" To much of my delight, she did not hesitate to answer my question.

"Luhan, as I've said before, I'll mever forsake you. Even in your hardest times, I'll never leave you to face them on your own."

My memory was dated back to the day of my parents' death anniversary when she told me:

"Bear in mind, no matter what rocks and stones you are going to face with, I will always be with you."

This answer was enough and I was just as contented. I felt tensed and a blush appeared across my face as she leant forward and pressed her lips onto mine, a soft kiss that I'd not easily forget. She pulled away from the kiss and said this:

A promise is a promise and forever, it will be.

 

 

Author's Note:

I'M REALLY REALLY SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING MY FANFIC FOR ABOUT TWO MONTHS >< 

I was busy with exams and stuffs ya as this year is an important year for me, my major exams. 

I wanna know what u guys find the chapter, and any comments you will like to say abt the story... It will soon moved on to the sad part of the story and the . Yeah, it's gonna be sad. Please look forward to my fanfic and if you like my story, upvote :D and leave comments! Thanks you so much for your support!!! :>

Oh ya, if you guys have questions, feel free to ask me at ask.fm: http://ask.fm/JulietQY