Prologue

Strange and a Stranger

27 April 2004, 7.30pm in the Seoul Hospital.

"The patient in ward 91 just passed away from the Demon's disease few hours ago," Dr. Kim Junmyeon mentioned as the features on his face wried and a sigh escaped his lips.

"Her husband met with the same mishap few years ago, now, it's her turn and they have a son! How can a ten-year-old boy receive such a huge blow of losing both parents at a young age? Why is it so unfair? What has he done?" Dr. Park Chanyeol complained.

The heavy footsteps of the duo rang off the walls around them along the corrider and led them to ward 91. On the bed laid a female corpse with a thin white cloth covering her from head to toe. Few strands of black hair could be seen.

Beside the bed sat Luhan curling himself into a ball, arms wrapping around the thin legs and burying his face between his knees. Silence except heavy sobs engulfed the room as Dr. Park made his way towards the tiny figure, bent down beside him and patted his fingers on Luhan's shoulder. The latter raised his head to see Dr. Park whose lips curved up to form a soft smile in encouragement. 

"From today on, let me take care of you. I will take on the responsiblity of a father although it is clear that your father is irreplaceable, alright?" Dr. Park whispered as Luhan nodded his head slowly. 

It is an undesirable sight to see the ten-year-old Luhan tear up for the mishap his parents met with. His eyebrows knit tightly and his lips press against each other to form a straight line. His eyes are red and swollen and occasionally, a tear will find its way down the cheeks. The tears that have fallen until they have dried. The tiny heart of his has been mercilessly torn up into thousands of pieces. Dr. Park thought as he let his hand run through Luhan's wiry black hair.

Meanwhile, Dr. Kim woke out of his thoughts from watching the two as his phone started to vibrate in his pocket. He fished it out and pressed the answering button.

"Appa, are you coming home soon? Umma, unnie and I are preparing dinner now," the sweet melodious voice of the nine-year-old daughter was just too enlightening to the ears as Dr. Kim curved his lips into a smile.

"Ya, I'll be back soon," Dr. Kim hung up his call and let out a soft chuckle.

"I shall make a move," Dr. Kim reassured Luhan by patting his head twice before heading towards the exit.