Chapter 3: The Beginning

Strange and a Stranger

Seohyun gave Luhan's hand a reassuring squeeze so that the nervous spasms would stop embarking on him. Luhan felt as if he was going to seek consent to marry their daughter like what he had always seen in dramas. However, in contrary, he had never considered marriage and lived a blissful family with the girl he loved. The words; blissful family, felt like strangers to him who never experienced before. Not long after he came to the earth, his father passed away and lost his memories of his father. The only memory of his dearest kin he lived with was his mother who left him when he was ten. The numbness of losing his two closest ties had long lost but he would often muffle sobs under his blanket as the pain hit him out of nowhere. Although he was under the care of his Uncle Chanyeol, he still felt lonely and wished his parents was there to cheer him up. 

Taeyeon turned the door knob and pushed the door open. She turned back to face Luhan whose eyebrows were damp in sweats and she spoke.

"So are you nervous to see your future mother-in-law?" she let a chuckle out of her lips and turned to face her sister and their eyes glued at each other's. Those pair of eyes could speak a thousand words.

I know you did that on purpose. Seohyun pouted.

Who asks when i ask you about Luhan, you refuses to speak a word. Taeyeon's eyebrows frowned.

There's really nothing much. Seohyun's lips slightly twitched.

You liar. I saw the tight embrace and the forehead kiss at the doorstep just now. The eyebrows that knitted at her forehead slowly pulled away from each other as she laid an unrelenting gaze on the former, having won the victory over the eyes' conflict. She curled her lips into a glee smile, revealing her white healthy teeth.

Seohyun, on the other hand, folded her arms and shot the latter a glare.

 

The couple was later greeted by a smile hanging on the face of Seohyun's mother. She sank in the soft cushions of the sofa while the two following suit. 

"Ah, this is your boyfriend? He has good looks, you have good tastes," She turned to her daughter who was blushing madly and her red cheeks were swollen.

"Yes, Auntie-" Luhan dragged his words which was cut off by the female in her fourties.

"Auntie Elsa." A warm smile tugged at her lips and she diverted her gaze towards the door as it screeched open. 

The other two turned their heads too and a weary figure dragged his feet and came to a halt at the sight of Luhan.

"I shall introduce the both of you to each other, he's my father and he's-" The words were interrupted by Luhan. 

"Uncle Junmyeon?" He tilted his head slightly to his left and locked gazes with the older man.

The two dropped their jaws in incredulity.

"The two of you know each other?" Seohyun questioned and gave a query look.

"Yes, I know Luhan, but why is he here?" Junmyeon spoke with a deep voice.

"He's my boyfriend."

 

Junmyeon remembered the day when his mother was killed in the mine accident that marked the bitterest February he could ever remember. His parents always told him not to play by the road as it was dangerous but he chose to ignore those words that brought sense. When his ball rolled and rolled and came to a halt in the middle of the road, he teared up. She returned with a box carrying in her hands and his son pleaded her to fetch the ball. His mother ensured that the road was clear as she made her way. She failed to realise that a car was speeding to her direction and her eyes squinted at the approaching light. At the next second, she dropped the box in her hands and a loud thud rang at his ears. His eyes were pooled with tears as he approached his lying mother whose blood were oozing out of her skull, beside her laid a cake that was left smashed on the road. Yes, it was his seventh birthday, the day he lost his dearest kin. 

These were what he felt at the moment: scared and dumbfounded. Uncertainties lurked at the edges of his subconscious as he fell his gaze on the interwined hands of his daughter and Luhan. He was unsure why he felt that way towards Luhan. He snapped out of his thoughts when his wife spoke.

"Have you considered marrying our daughter in future? You're a good candidate to be my son-in-law, though." 

Junmyeon's eyes widened subconsciously.

Luhan stuttered at his words as he came unprepared to deal with the question that broke abruptly out of nowhere. 

"I-I have never thought about this since the both of us dated recently," Luhan lifted his arms and scratched his head in embarassment. His cheeks reddened.

The four of them broke into laughter that rang off walls of the living room as Junmyeon stood firmly on the ground. They averted their gazes at the stony expression registered on his face.

"I'm tired, excuse me for awhile." He faced Luhan and slightly curved his lips into a smile.

His voice exuded bitterness as Luhan watched Junmyeon turning the door knob which led to his room. 

 

Junmyeon closed his door with a soft thud as he dropped his suitcase on the bed. He watched as the suitcase bounced and eventually laid flat on his bed, revealing its contents. Just like the suitcase, his heavy heart was beating hard, threatening to jump out of his chest. He gripped onto the knot of his tie and shook it forcefully to loosen the tie that was strangling his neck. Dramatically, he slid down to the cold ground, leaning against the soft mattress of his bed.

 

Twelve years ago, at the research lab of the Seoul Hospital.

"I just found out that the disease is-" Chanyeol hesitated for a moment and continued, "-heridity and can be transmitted through uality."

A sigh escaped Junmyeon's lips and he dropped his gaze on the ground where he stood.

"The doctors' mission is to save lives. We must fight for our patients till the end, come what may."

He earned a reply from Chanyeol who nodded his head.

"In that case-" A second sigh escaped his lips as he added on, "-this accounts for the reason why Seol Ae gets the disease?"

"Yes."

"And you say, this disease is heridity?" 

"Yes."

The latter let out another sigh as he shifted his gaze out of the window at the eight-year-old who was playing toy aeroplane and running around in ward 91. Seol Ae who was lying on her bed was watching his son affectionately.

"Umma, in future, I want to be a pilot!" Luhan's cheerful smile made Seol Ae's day as a smile flashed across her face which was as pale as sheet.

Junmyeon blinked back to hold his tears that were streaming down his cheeks.

 

Junmyeon snapped out of his thoughts as he wiped away the tears that were finding their trails down his face. He felt apologetic to Luhan but he couldn't let the whole ugly episode to replay in his life. He didn't want Seohyun to be the second Seol Ae who got the disease from her spouse. He didn't want the deathly pale Seohyun to greet him everyday in his life. 

Soon, the door screeched open at the sight of Elsa walking towards him, wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him into an embrace. 

"Husband, is work troubling you?"

He nodded his head as he intended to hide the matter from his wife and a whisper rang beside his left ear.

"Don't push yourself too hard, just do to your limits. Sometimes, you will find yourself crossing the limits, so you have to move back."

He snuggled deeper into her embrace and the warmth emanated from his wife made him feel better.

 

Luhan, have you reached home?

Yes. Hey, it's nearly 12am. We've school tmr,  go to sleep!

Alright,  you should rest well too. Good night.:)

Soon after shutting down her phone, Seohyun felt her eyelids were getting heavy and she drifted off into her dreamland.

 

Luhan stood in front of his door leading to his apartment as he slowly turned the door knob and pushed it open, in an attempt to do it silently. He was conscious that it was very late at night and he did not want to wake Uncle Chanyeol up. However, as he opened his door, he was greeted by a figure who sat at the sofa couch, folded his arms, leant his head against the soft cushion and had fallen asleep. He clicked on the lights as Chanyeol squinted his eyes open and stood up from the comfortable position he had. 

"So how's the date?" He twisted his head as he read the time from the clock and added, "It's already so late and i thought the two of you will-"

He coughed purposely.

"No, don't you dare you spout any nonsense," The former knitted his forehead together and pouted. "Why don't you just go and sleep first."

Uncle Chanyeol treated Luhan like his own child. He couldn't bear to go to sleep comfortably on his bed with the thought of him still not home yet. He must see that Luhan was home before he could go to sleep. 

"By the way, i met Uncle Junmyeon today. He's the father of the girl who i'm in love with."

 

Junmyeon laid on his bed as he had his eyes glued at the ceiling blankly. The ringtone of his phone rang as he propped himself up on one elbow and reached for his phone. He just received a message.

The sender was Chanyeol.

Let's meet tomorrow, 12pm at the restaurant that we always hang out in.

 

Author's Note:

Finally, another chapter is done! I will like to thank those who subscribe, comment and enjoy my story!!! Hope you guys will continue enjoying my story. It seems that there are a lot of flashbacks in this story. Hope you guys will enjoy!:) My sincere thanks to you guys!!! Kris will appear in next chapter so please look forwards to my story! And, i would like to credit my friend who help me with a quote in chapter 1. She is xDreamAngel. :D