Chapter 4: Think Back

Strange and a Stranger

"Lying beside you here in the dark

Feeling your heart beat with mine

Softly you whisper, you're so sincere

How could our love be so blind?

We sailed on together

We drifted apart

And here you are by my side

 

So now I come to you with open arms

Nothing to hide, believe what I say

So here I am with open arms

Hoping you'll see what your love means to me, open arms-"

 

Luhan coughed.     

 

"Living without you, living alone

This empty house seems-"

 

He coughed again.

 

"-so cold"

 

He planted his hand on his chest as he exhaled and swallowed the phlegm that was rising up his throat.

 

"Wanting to hold you, wanting you near

How much I wanted you home-"

 

He could not stop coughing as he hand gestured to Mr. Kwon, his vocal instructor, who paused the music.  

 

Mr. Kwon was an impatient young man who hated students delaying his time. He had his eyebrows knitted together tightly, lips pressed against each other and arms folded as he watched his student strolling to his bag, squatting beside it, digging his hand into the contents and eventually fishing out a green plastic water bottle. He turned open the bottle cap and gulped down the sea of water down his throat. He put on the cap again and turned it in the opposite direction and slowly placed it above the contents in his ped bag. He forcefully lifted himself up and headed back to his position. Mr. Kwon was extremely ruffled by his slow actions.

"Okay, let's start again, I do not want to delay the time any further," Mr. Kwon snorted.

Just as he was about to click on the button on the radio that was sitting firmly on the table without a fidget, the bell went off.

Mr. Kwon scowled at Luhan as he hefted his radio and stormed off for the exit. Luhan who kept his head down continued to cough profusely.

 

"Seohyun-ah, are you free tonight?" Kris turned his head to Seohyun who grimaced and spoke.

"I'm scared that I couldn't make it. The dates of my piano exams are approaching and I've tons of music pieces to practise on."

"It's okay then," Kris turned away in disappointment.

He suppressed the sadness that was built up in him and turned his head back to her attention again.

 

The magnificent long hair that is as fine as spun gold, the pair of eyes that contains resemblance with black pearls, the pink lips that slowly curve itself into a sweet smile and the tiny arms that embrace the books against her chest. She fits into my ideal type in proportion; beautiful features and most importantly, she has great personality. She is just as perfect as an angel.

I shall admit, yes, I am fond of everything about her, putting it in other words, I like her. 

 

He often pictured her and himself locking their arms together as he pulled the girl into a hug. He pecked her forehead while the latter looked up at him with cute puppy eyes craving for more. Imagination ran wild in his mind and a smile tugged at his lips as he admired the soft features of her face fondly.

He snapped out of his thoughts when she shouted Luhan's name.He watched as she dashed across the corridor and pulled Luhan into a cuddle.She wrapped her hands across his waist while he rested his head on her head and caressed her hair slowly.

In a mere second, all the hopes and desires vanished into the thin crisp air. Anger shot mercilessly in his dark eyes. He stared 

daggers at the intimate couple when the male turned out to be someone else.

"See you tomorrow!" She waved gleefully at Kris who just froze his body and stared at the duo.

 

The couple went strolling in the park near their school. Every time they went there, they would approach the same tree and get their bottoms on the tender grass under the shade of the tree. Seohyun inhaled deeply at the strong fresh scent that rose up to her and harassed her nose. 

"Do you remember the first time we met? It was this place where we had our paths crossed," She whispered and laid a soft gaze at Luhan who was closing his eyes, resting his head on the trunk of the tree. She watched as he nodded his head and fluttered his eyelids open.

 

Seohyun had never believe in fate. However, after that incident, they did.

She was wandering around the park hastily in search of the music page that had fallen off from her music book earlier that day when she accidentally bumped into Luhan. The aeroplane model fell from his hand and hit the grassland with a loud shattering thud, leaving a cluster of shattered pieces of the aeroplane parts. His eyes was full of desperate and sad as he squatted beside the shattered pieces with tears streaming down his cheeks profusely. The sense of guilt was devouring her and for the next few days, she spent most of her time with him, fixing back the bits and pieces of the model. This was when they fell for each other. Fate had made their paths crossed.

 

The duo gazed at the family of three in the playground in front of them. The father was chasing after his son while the mother was sitting at a wooden bench, watching her two loved ones having fun under the scorching sun. The father caught his son by his waist, pulled him backward and let him fall into his embrace. He tickled his son and a heartfelt laughter was emanated. The mother went up to the father and son and wiped off the droplets of perspiration on their faces. 

Seohyun pictured the father as Luhan, the mother as herself and the son as their child. She blushed shyly with her head down and her hand stratching the back of her head. In contrary, Luhan pictured the father as his father, the mother as his mother and the son as himself. The numbness of losing his parents was going to devour him once again as he curled himself up into a ball, hided his head in between his knees and muffled soft sobs under his breath. 

 

In the restaurant the two always hanged out in the past, Junmyeon and Chanyeol sat facing each other around a round wooden table. They kept silent for awhile before Junmyeon opened his mouth and spoke. 

"Why do you ask me out today?" 

Chanyeol inhaled and exhaled to get himself on the right track.

"I heard from Luhan that the two of you met last night," Chanyeol looked up at the former who twitched his lips severely to his right.

"So does it concern you?" His voice exuded annoyance.

"I know it may sound selfish but-" Chanyeol paused, took a deep breath and added, "-can you keep his illness from him. I know he is dating your daughter and if they marry and stuffs like that-" His words were cut off by Junmyeon's words that pierced through his heart like a sharp knife.

"I can keep his illness from him but I will separate the both of them."

Chanyeol went silent as tears welled up in his eyes. Junmyeon shot him a thunderous glare and he spoke.

"Don't show me that pathetic look."

"But-" Chanyeol blinked hard to hold back his tears that were threatening to fall, "-you can't just destroy their happiness."

"It's better than revealing everything about his illness and how his father die and he have an emotional breakdown, am I right?"

The words 'how his father die' replayed itself in Chanyeol's head. Chanyeol hardly fidgeted except for his hands that went trembling.

"What do you mean by 'how his father die'?" Chanyeol mumbled his breath and earned a reply from Junmyeon.

"Don't you remember?"

Junmyeon stood up from his seat, swung his brown bag off the table before heading towards the exit.