Where are you? (TaengSic)

Bag of Candies

The woman stirred in her sleep. Her eyes slowly opened and her arm reflexively reached out towards the space next to her, only to have her hand land on the cold, empty spot on the other side of the bed.

 

Her eyes opened fully and took in the vacant spot she clearly remembered had been occupied the night before. Her eyes brows furrowed and she began looking around the bedroom.

 

No one except her was there. She was alone.

 

A frown appeared on her pink lips and she rolled around in the bed until she could sit up and let her legs dangle over the edge of it. She stretched her arms above her head and let out a loud yawn, hoping that if there was anyone else beside her in the apartment the person would realize she was awake.

 

No one seemed to catch that she was awake and the woman got up from the bed with a frown on her lips. She didn’t like waking up alone, especially when the person she had expected to wake up next to had left without notice.

 

She went to the living room, quickly noticed how empty and quiet it was.  Her frown deepened and she crossed her arms over her chest and continued her venture to the kitchen.

 

Just like the living room and bedroom it was empty. And she knew she didn’t need to check the bathroom because she couldn’t hear any water running which meant no one was there.

 

A disappointed sigh left her lips and she walked around the kitchen, hoping to see at least a note or something to indicate where the missing person had gone. But to fuel her disappointment she found nothing.

 

Disappointed and lonely the woman made her way back to the bedroom. Her eyes landed on the cellphone she had put on the drawer last night, and with little hope she picked it up and checked if she had gotten any messages.

 

She had gotten nothing. The frown stayed on her lips and she brought the phone with her as she made her way towards the bed with heavy steps.

 

She felt her feet leave the floor as she let her body fall limply down on the bed. A sigh left her lips and she rolled to lie on her back, placing the device on her stomach while her eyes stared up at the white ceiling. Her mind arguing about all the places the person who stayed under the same roof as her could have went to this Sunday morning.

 

 

---

 

 

“Have you tried calling her then?”

 

“No…”

 

“Why not?”

 

“What if she’s busy and I bother her?”

 

Taeyeon watched as the woman in front of her rolled her eyes at her. The reaction made her frown and she looked down at the coffee cup that was cupped between her hands.

 

“Text her then!”

 

She continued to stare at her coffee cup. Not feeling like picking up her phone and text a certain someone to find out about her whereabouts. She didn’t want to appear clingy. But she would like to know where the woman went if she went out. Otherwise she would worry. And start overthinking.

 

“Taeyeon”

 

She looked up at the woman opposite her. The woman shook her head at her, making Taeyeon raise her eyebrow.

 

"Don't over think. I'm sure she's just out doing some errands." The woman assured her.

 

Taeyeon frowned. Not convinced by the assuring words. If she had just been out doing some errands she could have said something. And doing some errands didn't take hours to do.

 

A sigh left Taeyeon's lips and she looked outside the window of the café. She was feeling lonely, and she really wanted to know where the woman that she hadn't seen since last night was.

 

 

---

 

 

The door to the apartment closed after the woman had entered. She waited in the hall, trying to listen to see if anyone else where home. But the apartment was just as quiet as she had left it.

 

Taeyeon sighed and with slumped shoulders she took off her shoes and made her way into her awfully empty home. Her eyes went to the phone she had in her hand, checking for any missing calls or text messages she could have missed noticing even though she had been holding the device in her hand since she had left the café.

 

No text messages and no missed calls. She felt disappointed even though it had been expected.

 

Another sigh left her lips and she made her way towards the kitchen. Her eyes landed on the pile of dishes in the sink that had been there since last night. She and the woman who was absent had said they would wash the dishes together today. But looking at it now it seemed like Taeyeon would have to wash them by herself.

 

Taeyeon frowned on the realization. She wasn’t going to wash the dishes. She wasn’t going to do any chores at all today. Not when she didn’t know where the woman that usually kept her company while she did them was.

 

She made her way out of the kitchen and into the living room. She plopped down on the couch, brought her knees closer to her chest and hugged them while she stared at the black screen of the TV that hung on the wall opposite her.

 

Her eyes left the screen, her gaze falling on the blue-ray case to the movie she had watched last night, while she had company. A frown appeared on her lips and she released her legs to bend forward to grab the remote control next to the blue-ray case.

 

She the TV. The first thing that appeared was some drama show she had no idea what it was about, and she didn’t feel like finding out either. She shifted channel, again, and again until she finally found a movie she had already watched two times before, but felt like a third time wouldn’t hurt.

 

She curled up on the couch. Her hand went to the blanket lying beside her, grabbing it and wrapping it around her small body. She caught a small scent lingering from the person who had used it last night. Her arms tightened the blanket around her body as she felt a longing to have a pair of arms wrapped around her instead.

 

Her head turned away from the TV. Looking outside the window instead and catching the darkening sky.

 

A frown appeared on her lips and she felt a sudden concern and worry fill her.

 

Where are you?

 

 

---

 

 

The woman quietly closed the apartment door behind her after she had entered. She took of her shoes and slowly made her way further inside, only slowing down to listen to the sound from the TV in the living room. A small smile appeared on her lips and she made her way to the living room, catching the nightly news report being shown on the TV, and the figure of someone lying on the couch.

 

Her smile widened and she slowly made her way to the couch. Stopping by the arm rest and letting her gaze fall on the woman sleeping curled up into a ball on it. An adoring expression appeared on her face and she made her way around the couch, crouching down in front of the sleeping woman’s face and took her time to study the woman’s features.

 

Jessica was aware she had left Taeyeon without notice this morning, and she was well aware of how she had felt throughout the day. Their friend that had met up with Taeyeon earlier that day had told her that her girlfriend had seemed uneasy about her leaving without saying anything.

 

An apologetic smile appeared on her lips and she reached her hand out towards the woman on the couch, tucked a loose hair strand behind Taeyeon’s ear before she let her thumb Taeyeon’s cheek.

 

The action caused the sleeping woman to stir in her sleep, but Jessica let her thumb remain on Taeyeon’s cheek and she watched as Taeyeon woke up from her slumber.

 

Brown, surprised eyes stared back at her when Taeyeon had opened her eyes. The woman on the couch blinked and when she finally seemed to have registered who was in front of her a frown appeared on her lips and she closed her eyes, letting out a sigh and opening them again while grabbing Jessica’s hand that was still caressing her cheek.

 

“Where have you been?” Taeyeon asked and interlocked her fingers with Jessica.

 

Jessica smiled and gave Taeyeon’s hand a small squeeze.

 

“Out and about, did you miss me?” Jessica asked and leaned in to plant a kiss on Taeyeon’s forehead. When she pulled away the frown was gone from the other woman’s lips, and an expression of shyness was on her face instead.

 

“Yeah…I did miss you.” Taeyeon admitted.

 

“I’m sorry I left without saying anything.” Jessica apologized. She stood up from her position next to the couch and dragged Taeyeon up to a sitting position. She smiled at the woman that looked up at the woman that still had hints of tiredness on her face.

 

“What were you out doing the whole day?” Taeyeon asked.

 

Jessica’s smile widened and she brought her free hand to Taeyeon’s hair, trying to fix it as it had gotten messy from the woman’s nap. She let her hand fall from the woman’s head and she looked tenderly into Taeyeon’s eyes.

 

“Are you up to go out for a while?” Jessica asked.

 

Taeyeon blinked and an uncertain expression crossed her face.

 

“It depends on where we are going…what do you have in mind?” Taeyeon asked.

 

Jessica’s smile widened and she grabbed Taeyeon’s other hand to drag the woman up to her feet. Taeyeon did and once Taeyeon was up Jessica led her to the door again.

 

“I suggest you wear your jacket.” Jessica said and grabbed the clothe item off the clothe hanger in the foyer. Taeyeon put it on but continued to look at Jessica with a confused expression. Jessica somehow managed to make her put on her shoes and soon they were outside their apartment and inside the elevator, going up.

 

“Jessica” Taeyeon let her gaze leave the doors of the elevator as she turned to the woman beside her.

 

“Yes?” Jessica turned to her with a smile on her face.

 

“What are we going to do?” Taeyeon asked.

 

Jessica smiled at her. “Do you trust me?” She asked.

 

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows by the question she thought had a very obvious answer. “Yes. You know I do.”

 

“Good, then I know I’m doing the right thing.” Jessica said and leaned in to steal a kiss from her.

 

Taeyeon began to feel slightly uneasy about what Jessica had in mind. But she put her trust in the other woman and followed her outside the elevator when they arrived at the floor highest up.

 

After walking up one more stairs Taeyeon soon found herself standing on the roof of the apartment building. It was slightly chilly and she wrapped one arm around her body while she let Jessica that still hadn’t let go of her hand lead her further out on the roof.

 

Her eyes soon landed on a pile of pillows and blankets and two sleeping bags. Her eyebrows furrowed and she looked Jessica’s way, waiting for an explanation to what the woman had in mind for them.

 

She saw a shy smile appearing on Jessica’s lips, the same smile she had seen on the woman’s lips one year ago when she had asked her to be her girlfriend. A feeling of déjà-vu filled her at the realization and she felt her heart beat harder in anticipation to what the woman had in mind.

 

“Taeyeon, I’m sorry left you alone for the whole day. But when I woke up this morning, with my arms wrapped around you I felt like that were exactly how I wanted to wake up every day for the rest of my life. So I went out and prepared this for us.” Jessica said and nodded towards the pile of blankets, pillows and sleeping bags.

 

“But before we do what I have in mind, I have something else to ask you.” Jessica said and let her gaze leave Taeyeon’s eyes momentarily.

 

Taeyeon watched with a rapid heartbeat how Jessica took something out of her pocket, and while holding her left hand tenderly in hers Jessica went down on one knee in front of her, love and hopefulness shimmering in the woman’s eyes as she looked up at her.

 

“Kim Taeyeon, will you marry me?” Jessica asked.

 

Taeyeon felt her legs couldn’t support her by the unexpected question coming out of Jessica’s mouth. She fell down to her knees in front of the other woman, her eyes leaving Jessica’s face to look at the ring in the woman’s hand.

 

“I-I-I” Taeyeon was speechless and she couldn’t find the right words to formulate anything to say. She let her gaze go back to Jessica, the woman continued to look at her, waiting for some kind of answer from her.

 

“Is this….what you’ve been preparing the whole day?” Taeyeon asked.

 

A sheepish smile appeared on Jessica’s lips and she looked at the ring in her hand before she let her eyes go back to the woman in front of her.

 

“Yes. I had to go to your parents’ house to ask for their permission, and then I went to my parents’ house to tell them, and then I had to go to the jewelry shop to buy the ring, and then I had to prepare all this, and on top of that I had to prepare myself to do this.” Jessica said and smiled at her.

 

Taeyeon blinked and looked at the ring Jessica was still holding out towards her. She realized Jessica really had been out and about the whole day. A small smile appeared on her lips and she looked back at the other woman.

 

“Yes.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Yes what?” Jessica asked.

 

Taeyeon chuckled and shook her head at the woman.

 

“Have you forgotten what you asked me? Yes, I’d love to marry you!” Taeyeon said.

 

Jessica’s smile widened until her teeth were showing and she looked down on the ring in her hand. She felt like she was about to explode like fireworks when she put the ring on Taeyeon’s ring finger, and when she looked back at Taeyeon’s face she knew she had done the right thing. This was the woman she wanted to spend the rest of her life with, this was the woman she wanted to go through bad and good times with. This was the one. Taeyeon was the one she wanted.

 

“I love you.” Jessica said after seconds of admiring Taeyeon’s face that glowed out of happiness.

 

Taeyeon smiled and leaned closer, wrapped her arms around her neck and kissed her, tenderly and passionately, and Jessica didn’t even need to hear her say those three words back. The feeling of Taeyeon’s fast beating heart against her chest and the way her emotions seemed to flow through the way her lips kissed her told her about what Taeyeon felt for her.

 

“I love you too.” Taeyeon breathed once they had parted from the kiss. Jessica smiled and leaned in to steal a small kiss from her again.

 

“I know.” Jessica assured. Taeyeon smiled relieved and leaned her forehead against hers, trying to regain the oxygen she had lost during their kiss.

 

“Taeyeon, if you ever wonder where I am in the future, remember I’ll always be here, and because of that I’ll always find a way back to your arms.” Jessica said and placed her hand on Taeyeon’s chest, right where she could feel the woman’s heartbeat.

 

Taeyeon closed her eyes and a sigh of relief escaped her lips. She opened the again and gazed into Jessica’s.

 

“I’ll keep you safe there.” Taeyeon said.

 

Jessica smiled and leaned in, capturing Taeyeon’s lips once again. Taeyeon fell backwards and Jessica landed on top of her, completely immersed in how Taeyeon’s lips felt against hers, how Taeyeon’s body was pressed against hers, and how the woman’s fingers were tangled in her hair locks. She had completely lost herself in the other woman that she forgot she had prepared to watch the stars together.

 

But then Jessica felt she would rather watch the stars that glimmered in Taeyeon’s eyes after she had kissed her for a while.