Ch. 8

Melted

The school bell rings loudly signaling the lunch break is over. Kyungsoo dazedly opens his eyes. Banana milk comes in his vision. Banana milk? He rubs his eyes, making sure his eyes were not making thing up. Surely, it’s a carton of banana milk on his table. He looks to his right and left, nobody’s around.

 

The reality suddenly hits him. He yanks his headphones off his ears and hurriedly grabs the banana milk. He runs to his last class of the day, better be hurry or else he might be late. He just changed his class so better be on time. Tardy doesn’t sound really good for him now.

 

Kyungsoo enters his new class, AP Calc.

 

“Am I late?” he asks between his pants. The teacher looks at him with an amused expression on his face. Kyungsoo looks so disheveled with his hair messily thrown in any direction and his owl eyes budge out in lost confusion. 

 

“No. I assume you’re Do Kyungsoo?” the teacher asks. Kyungsoo nods.

 

“Right. Mr. Kwon mentioned earlier that you just changed your schedule.” Nods again.

 

“I’m Lim Siwan, welcome to AP Calc. You may take a seat” Mr. Lim says.

 

Kyungsoo looks over his new class. His new classmates stare at him in confusion. Some giggle because of the state he’s in. Kyungsoo is lost, he’s not sure where he should sit.

 

“Ah, right, you can sit beside Luhan. Luhan, raise your hand”

 

Instead of raising, Luhan’s waving his hand like crazy. He’s so excited that Kyungsoo will be his deskmate.

 

As soon as Kyungsoo sits beside him, Luhan greets him, “Hey! It’s nice to see you here.”

 

Kyungsoo nods politely.

 

“You must be really smart to take AP Calc. Aren’t you a sophomore? You’re a sophomore, right? The rest of the students here are seniors. We take this class beca—“

 

Mr. Lim clears his throat loudly, “Luhan-ssi, I appreciate your attempt to be friendly with Kyungsoo. But please pay attention, we’re in the middle of the explaining this problem here. You can continue your talk later.”

 

Luhan immediately straightens his back and looks straightforward to the white board, as if like he didn’t do anything wrong.

 

Kyungsoo chuckles a little bit then pays his attention to Mr. Lim.

 

---

 

“Did you really give him banana milk earlier?” Sehun asks Kai. They are in the middle of taking a break in their dance class.

 

Kai hums while nods his head to Sehun’s question.

 

“Why?”

 

Kai’s lips turn upward a little, “He used to drink them back then”

 

Sehun frowns, “He still drinks them”

 

His best friend snaps his head to him almost immediately, “What? How did you know that?”

 

The latter laughs, “You should’ve seen your face right now!! Dang, calm down. It’s not like I did anything wrong”

 

Kai keeps narrowing his eyes to his best friend who just laughed at him.

 

“Okay, okay. I just guessed it. Luhan told me before that the new wide-eyed transfer student only drank banana milk as his lunch.” Sehun explains.

 

“And how in the world Luhan knows Kyungsoo?” Kai desperately asks, throwing his hands in the air

 

“Jeez, they sat together before on lunch. Remember? Last week the first time you saw him?” Sehun knocks Kai’s temple with his knuckle.

 

Kai tilts his head to avoid Sehun’s persistent knuckles.

 

“Oh!” Sehun suddenly gasps.

 

“What now?”

 

“Do you remember that Kris guy? The new giant of the school who is even taller than Chanyeol?”

 

The one who hugged Kyungsoo. Kai shakes his head, tries to delete the scene from his head.

 

“Yeah, I remember. Why?”

 

“I heard he has fiancé. They both go to this school. Wow, man. We’re still in high school and he already has fiancé!”

 

Kai feels like blood drains off of him. Is it Kyungsoo? They hugged before. What if Kyungsoo is really his fiancé? What if—

 

“Uhm, Kai? Hey, are you okay?” Sehun looks concerned.

 

“Do you know who his fiancé is?” Kai carefully asks, his voice wavers.

 

“I heard his name is Tao. Wait, was it Zitao? Taozi? I don’t know, something like that.” Sehun tries to think really hard.

 

Somehow, Kai feels relief. It’s not Kyungsoo.

 

But wait, then why did he hug Kyungsoo? What is Kyungsoo to him?

 

“Kai? Kai? Aish, why are you spacing out again? Let’s get change, class is almost over.” Sehun drags Kai to their bags.

 

 

---

 

“Uhm, Luhan-hyung? You’re not leaving?” Kyungsoo asks Luhan. Everyone has left the classroom already. Kyungsoo always takes his time to put his belonging to his bag that he always leaves the class as the last. But Luhan beside him just sits nicely on his seat.

 

“I’m waiting to be picked up. It’s okay, you can go home first” Luhan cheekily replies.

 

Kyungsoo thinks a bit before finally decides that he’ll wait for Luhan to be picked up. Somehow he feels bad if he has to leave Luhan alone by himself.

 

“I’ll wait with you then” he sits back.

 

“Are you sure? The bus might be leaving by now. Or are you getting picked up too?”

 

“No, my house is close to the school. It’s only like 15 minutes by foot” Kyungsoo explains.

 

“Ah, that must be nice. Do you live with your parents? Or siblings maybe?” Luhan asks out of curiosity.

 

Kyungsoo fidgets in his seat, “Uhm, I live by myself. My dad works abroad.” He doesn’t mention anything about his mother. Luhan realizes that Kyungsoo is not comfortable talking about his family so he doesn’t ask any further.

 

“Are you waiting for your friend, hyung?” Kyungsoo asks, trying to break the silence.

 

Luhan grins happily, “I’m waiting for my boyfriend actually. Ah but his friend is coming too. We—There they are! Hi Sehunnie” Luhan waves towards the door. Kyungsoo turns his back to see Luhan’s boyfriend and friend.

 

What he doesn’t expect is to see Kai walks behind the supposedly to be Sehun. He immediately looks down.

 

“Sorry, we’re late.” Sehun says.

 

“That’s okay. Meet my new friend, Kyungsoo.” Luhan happily says.

 

Kai looks taken aback a little bit to the mention of Kyungsoo’s name. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo fights back the urge to just runaway from the class. But it’d be rude so he raises his head to see Kai and Sehun.

 

“Kyungsoo, this is my boyfriend, Sehun and my friend, Kai” Luhan introduces the two tall boys in front of him. Kyungsoo awkwardly nods.

 

“Ah, we can give a ride to Kyungsoo! But can we go get bubble tea and burger first? Or maybe pizza!” Luhan chirps happily. But at the mention of food, Kyungsoo gags immediately.

 

Three pairs of eyes look at him in horror.

 

“Kyungsoo, are you ok—“

 

 

Kyungsoo covers his mouth with one hand as he gags again. He immediately runs out of the classroom to the nearest restroom.

 

Kai, Luhan and Sehun follow Kyungsoo in panic.

 

Kyungsoo throws out anything that his empty stomach can in the toilet bowl. Kai squads down to rub Kyungsoo’s back.

 

The smaller boy tries to stand up from his sitting position but he stumbles down. Fortunately, Kai catches him before he knocks the floor.

 

 

 

 

 

Everything is black.