Ch. 5

Melted

Kyungsoo doesn’t go to rooftop, for an obvious reason. He knows how Baekhyun is not really comfortable to have him around, yet. He’s not

gonna make anything worse than they already are.

 

                He decides to go to the cafeteria by himself and sits at one of the most cornered table in that big room. Students around him happily talking and joking around with their friends. Ironically, Kyungsoo feels lonely in the packed up cafeteria. He drinks his milk and plays with his phone, trying to look busy.

 

                “Hey, is this seat taken?” a voice startles him but he doesn’t look up to the owner of the voice. He mumbles a polite no to the voice.

 

                “Do you mind if I sit here, then?” the voice asks him. He shakes his head. The person who just talked to him takes a seat across from Kyungsoo’s. Kyungsoo looks up from his phone to see Luhan sits in front of him.

 

                “Hi. Do you remember me?” Luhan happily asks Kyungsoo. The latter smiles at his senior, of course he remembers Luhan who helped him yesterday.

 

                “Yes, I do remember you. How are you, sunbae?”

 

                “Just call me Luhan-hyung. I’m fine, thanks. Are you having lunch alone, Kyungsoo?”

 

                Kyungsoo is not surprised that Luhan knows his name while he’s pretty sure he never introduced himself to his senior. But it seems like the whole school knows his name already.                               

                          

                “Yes.”

 

                “Oh. Okay.” Luhan tries not to bring it any further because Kyungsoo doesn’t look like he’s in the mood to talk.

 

                Luhan fidgets in his seat. He loves to talk with people yet at the same time he doesn’t want to bother Kyungsoo. The latter doesn’t even spare him any glance, Kyungsoo keeps playing with his phone doing nobody-knows-what.

 

                “So, Kyungsoo” Screw it, he wants to talk to Kyungsoo, so then be it.

 

                “Yes, Luhan-hyung?” Kyungsoo politely responds to his senior.

 

                “I was wondering, how’s your first 2 days of school?”

 

                Luhan can see Kyungsoo flinches a little bit to his question, nevertheless, he still smiles, “All is fine, hyung”

 

                “Is that so? Alright then. Aren’t you gonna eat something for lunch?” Luhan asks again.

 

                “No, I’m good.” Kyungsoo raises his carton of banana milk.

 

                Luhan frowns. Banana milk for lunch? Really? But he lets it slips anyway.

 

                Before Luhan opens his mouth to talk again, the cafeteria suddenly becomes noisy. The sound of the students murmuring loudly or even the girls squealing is heard. Luhan shakes his head and clicks his tongue. Kyungsoo looks up to see his surrounding, sure, the cafeteria looks more crowded than a few minutes ago.

 

                “What is this about?” Kyungsoo asks Luhan, referring to the condition of the cafeteria that changed.

 

                “It’s just the dance team. It’s always like this whenever they come to the cafeteria” Luhan explains.

 

                Kyungsoo nods, “So, they are like… really popular people?”

 

                “Yeah, you can put it that way. They even have fans club or something” Luhan nonchalantly says.

 

                Kyungsoo pulls his long sleeve to his palm, his fingers grip the sleeve tightly. He doesn’t like ‘popular students’

 

                “I think I should go now.” He absurdly stands up from his seat.

 

                “To the class? Do you know your class? Do you want me to get you to your class?” Luhan gathers his lunch and ready to stand up too.

 

                “No, I’ll be fin—“

 

                “KYUNGSOO!” Chanyeol’s loud voice calls him. He holds Baekhyun’s hand while running towards Kyungsoo.

 

                “I thought you’re coming to eat lunch with us. We’ve been waiting for you on the—“

 

                “Kyungsoo? Do Kyungsoo?” A raspy voice cuts Chanyeol. Suddenly the cafeteria becomes quite.

 

                Kyungsoo looks up from his feet to see the owner of that voice. His heart is telling him that that voice is somewhat familiar. But his brain screams the otherwise.

 

 

                The person who stands in front of him is not Chanyeol anymore. Tan Skin, Blond hair. The best dancer in school. One of those ‘popular students’. It’s Kim Jongin.

 

 

                Kyungsoo’s heart beats really fast. He feels like thrown back into his past. He looks at Jongin with his wide eyes.

 

                “Kai? You know Kyungsoo? Kyung, do you know him?” Chanyeol’s voice breaks the silence. He frowns at Jongin. Or Kai.

 

                Kyungsoo shifts his vision to see Chanyeol. Kai?

 

                “…Kai?” he whispers.

 

                Before Chanyeol can answer, Kai cuts him, “No, it’s me, Jong—“

 

 

 

                “No, I don’t know him.” With that, Kyungsoo leaves the cafeteria, ignoring the stares that the rest of the whole school population gives him, ignoring Chanyeol, ignoring Kai; the person who he doesn’t want to see or remember.

 

 

---

 

 

                Kyungsoo acts like nothing happened during lunch. He keeps his focus in his class, Literature. He loves reading books, that’s what he always does in order not to feel lonely. Students in his class keep giving him the unwanted attention. The curious glances. Maybe they wonder how Kai knows him, despite he’s a new student after all.

 

                “Students, I want you to read this story and write down your own ending of this story. How would you like to end this story, it’s up to you. I expect you to finish it in 30 minutes” Mrs. Song, the literature teacher, distributes the paper.

 

                Students start paying attention to their task right away and this gives Kyungsoo the space to finally breathe freely. It’s difficult to keep calm when you know people staring at you.

 

                He reads the paper and realizes that it’s a love story. Kyungsoo hates love story, but he does this work anyway. Less than 30 minutes, he’s done with his ending.

 

                …write down your own ending of this story

 

                30 minutes’ up and students collect their paper to Mrs. Song. The teacher has this tendency to read her students’ work one by one and discuss it in the class.

 

                “Well done, I’m happy to know that you’re all done your work nicely. Most of the students write a happy ending for this story. We hope a happy ending to our love story, don’t we?”

 

                Some students chuckles when Mrs. Song says that.

 

                “But I found the most interesting one. Do Kyungsoo?” She calls. The class becomes quite. Baekhyun, who shares the same class as Kyungsoo looks at his boyfriend’s besfriend. What did Kyungsoo write? Why did Mrs. Song call him?

 

                “Yes, teacher?”

 

                “What is your concept of love?” Mrs. Song asks him. She’s holding Kyungsoo’s paper.

 

                The class is waiting for Kyungsoo to answer.

 

 

                “It’s about what’s in your mind;  you think you meet the right person, at the place that you think is right or time that you think is right.” He answers.

 

 

                Baekhyun frowns when he hears Kyungsoo’s answers, so do the rest of the students. He’s basically saying that love is in your mind, it’s about things that you think are right.

 

                Mrs. Song sighs, “Care to elaborate your ending?”

 

                Students look at Mrs. Song with a big question mark in their face. What about Kyungsoo’s ending? What did he write?

 

                “Why do you kill the main character?” Mrs. Song asks. Baekhyun gasps when he hears the question.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                Kyungsoo smiles, “That’s the best way to end a story”