Ch. 13

Melted

Kai doesn't let go of Kyungsoo's hand even though they're on school already. Even when he drops Kyungsoo in front of his class. They catch attention from other students who pass them by.

 

"Kai?" Kyungsoo looks up.

 

"Hmm?" Kai looks down to see Kyungsoo and his heart does someraults in his chest.

 

"Hand?" Kyungsoo innocently raises their intertwined hands.

 

Kai grins sheepishly, "Alright, I'm going now?"

 

Kyungsoo nods.

 

Kai ruffles Kyungsoo's hair, "I'll pick you up on your class before lunch. Wait for me, okay?"

 

Kyungsoo nods and smiles. Kai can hear his heart skips a beat, maybe two.

 

 

-

 

 

Kyungsoo feels uneasy when he knows all eyes on him. In the class, students not discreetly stare at him. It makes him feels insecure, like he did something wrong.

 

It's a good thing that the bell rings before he hyperventilating in the class. He puts his belongings into his bag slowly, waiting for students to empty the class. When he finally has the class for himself, he lets out a relief sigh.

 

Kai peeks through the glass window on the door, Kyungsoo is staring blankly into space as he sits on his chair. Kai opens the door, instantly bringing Kyungsoo back from his mind-wandering moment.

 

"Hey" Kai smiles, instinctively kisses Kyungsoo's temple.

 

Kyungsoo blinks, acknowledges Kai immediately. He stands up as Kai holds his hand.

 

"C'mon, time for lunch" Kai gives his hand a squeeze.

 

The hallway is quiet packed up as throngs of hungry students make their way out of the school main building to the cafeteria. Kai keeps holding Kyungsoo's hand tightly. Out of the sudden, bunch of girls run towards them and one of them bumps her shoulder to Kyungsoo less gently. Kyungsoo pushed harshly towards Kai.

 

"Sorry!" Or not. The girl and her friends just keep running while giggling, not really minding that they just bumped into someone.

 

"Hey, watch out!" Kai snaps angrily. But he turns his attention to the small boy who now holds his shoulder immediately.

 

"You okay?" Kai asks worriedly.

 

Kyungsoo nods. But to him, somehow, everything feels familiar.

 

 

-

 

 

Kai literally has to beg Kyungsoo to eat his lunch because the latter keeps insisting that he's not hungry. Kai does not taking any 'no' from Kyungsoo. After a few minutes of pleading, Kyungsoo finally eats his tuna sandwich, only 2 little bites. But at least it's better than nothing. He still drinks his banana milk though, Kai thinks banana milk might be the only beverage that Kyungsoo willingly drinks without being asked.

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun sits on the same table as them. They have to put 2 tables together as soon as Luhan, Sehun, Kris and Tao come for lunch.

 

Kris' face immediately lights up as soon as he sees Kyungsoo.

 

He ruffles Kyungsoo's hair, "Hey, how's your day so far?"

 

Kyungsoo shudders to what happened earlier; the unwanted stares, the shoulder-bumping, those bring a very familiar sickening feeling on the back of his head. He blinks few times, before settles for a smile towards Kris.

 

"It's fine, thank you for asking."


Kyungsoo then plays with the milk carton, turns it around his fingers. Kris and Tao leave to line up for their lunch. Baekhyun and Chanyeol are eating their lunch while once in a while talking and laughing about random things. Luhan and Sehun are pretty much showing PDA by feeding each other. Kyungsoo turns his head to see Kai beside him, still with his big ham sandwich and cold salads. The said boy realizes that he's been watched. He looks up from his food to see Kyungsoo blankly stares at him. He smiles, nudging his half-eaten sandwich towards the pale boy but Kyungsoo shakes his head.

 

Kai shrugs then continues his lunch.

 

Kyungsoo darts his eyes around the spacious cafeteria. He sees few pairs of eyes staring at him in disgust and hatred.

 

Kyungsoo suddenly feels the urge to throw up.

 

 

-

 

 

When Kai picks up Kyungsoo on his last class of the day, he realizes the obvious red smeared on Kyungsoo's left cheek.

 

"Soo, why is your cheek red?" Kai asks, he holds his hand out to touch Kyungsoo's cheek but the latter  flinches away quickly.

 

"It's nothing." Kyungsoo says.

 

Kai doesn't pry it further. He purses his lips in a tight line, convincing himself that Kyungsoo will tell him if he wants to, no need to force Kyungsoo to tell him everything. But the tan boy can't help but also realizes that somehow, Kyungsoo puts a good distance between them.

 

Kai is sure that he and Kyungsoo were okay earlier, at least until lunch. He tries to remember anything wrong he did but he can't point anything he did wrong that makes Kyungsoo distances himself. Even in the house, Kyungsoo doesn't say anything, the small boy keeps himself away whenever Kai tries to hold him.

 

"Kyungsoo, did something happened in the school?" Kai asks when they both finally arrive at home.

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head, "No."

 

"Are you sure?" Kai asks again. He receives a nod as an answer.

 

Kai sighs, "Then can you tell me why your left cheek is a lot redder than your right one?"

 

"I was sleeping in the class. My face was on my sleeves, that's why"

 

There comes the answer. It actually makes sense to Kai, Kyungsoo might slept on his sleeved-arms that it leaves mark on his cheek but Kai is not that tupid. You don't get a red handprint when you sleep your cheek on your sweater. Kai knows there was something happened earlier in the school but he doesn't know what.

 

That night, Kyungsoo keeps saying that he's not hungry and he doesn't want to eat anything. He doesn't even drink his banana milk. Instead, Kyungsoo chooses to skip dinner and go to the bedroom.

 

When Kai finds him in his bedroom, Kyungsoo clads in a big hoodie that practically drowns his small body, only his fingernails show. What makes Kai sad is the fact that Kyungsoo curls up in fetal position, hands tightly claps on his chest and he sleeps really close to the edge of the bed. He doesn't even bother to cover his body with the blanket.

 

Kai sighs. He thought he makes Kyungsoo opens up a little bit to him but no. He doesn't know what Kyungsoo thinks, or feels. He doesn't know what to do to see Kyungsoo like this. It's almost as if the small boy closing himself from the world.

 

Kai stares Kyungsoo. He pulls the blanket to cover the small body.

 

Kai slips under the blanket, putting a good distance between Kyungsoo and him on the bed.

 

 

-

 

 

It's a while later when he hears even breathing from the other side of the bed that Kyungsoo opens his eyes. He stares at the dark room blankly, fails to recognize things around him. He keeps looking into the dark, the scene of what happened in the school replays on his head.

 

Kyungsoo smiles. After what it feels like forever, he closes his eyes, wishing that he would never open them anymore.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Kyungsoo feels his body shoved to the wall, hands trapped him to the wall. He winces from the pain, slowly opens his eyes to see a girl in front of him, the very same girl who bumped into him on the hallway. Her friends hold him on his place.

 

The girl smiles at him, only to bring her hand to his cheek.

 

"Who do you think you are to hold Kai's hand like that, huh?!"

 

Another slap comes to his cheek. Kyungsoo shuts his eyes tightly, he has no strength to escape.

 

"You pitiful little thing does not deserve Kai! You hear me?!"

 

The girl scoffs then instructs her friends to let go of the poor boy. Kyungsoo slumps to the floor right away.

 

"Don't you dare to get near Kai in the future."

 

With that, the girl and her friends disappear, leaving Kyungsoo alone in the bathroom.

 

 

He chuckles, everything feels so familiar.

 

 

Kyungsoo smiles. He can never escape his life.

 

 

 


Author's Note : hello world, anybody missed me? I hope so lol. Sorry I haven't been updating for a long time, I'm in the middle of vacation, one whole full month, how cool is that? teehee ^^

I just wanna tell you guys that this story will come to its end, soon. Probably a few chapters left. I have a new story in mind, all thanks to my dad who keeps insisting that I need to do foresight reading for my college ( like duh, college hasn't even started  yet )

I already posted the foreword. So yeah, it's totally based on my study, and just in case you ask as ( I hope ) you read more to the story, Nope, I'm not a medical student.

I wish you guys liked it! /throws hearts/

 

Click the title to peek a boo ;)

 

All of The Stars

 

Oh, I kept listening to Ed Sheeran's song while writing the story, that's why I put his song title as the title of the story. how uncreative /sobs/

I haven't watched The Fault In Our Stars, though, have you guys? I cried while watching the trailer! and too bad I haven't finished the book OTL