Ch. 4

Melted

 

                Kyungsoo wakes up to the yellow sticky note on the refrigerator. Mostly saying that his dad left early in the morning to catch his flight. He stares at the card on the kitchen counter with another sticky note beside it, saying that he should use the card in case he needs to buy something. Kyungsoo smiles and makes a mental note to email his dad later to say thank you.

                He glances up at the clock to see the time. He still has a lot of time before he has to walk to school. He plays with his phone a little bit before deciding to log in to Skype. And sure, Kris is online. He immediately receives a video call request from Kris. He swipes his screen to answer.

                “Hey sleepy head” Kris greets him.

                “Hey yourself. Did you just get home?” Kyungsoo asks. Somehow it makes him happy to see Kris’ face on his screen.

                “Yes. Hold on, I’ll take my shoes off” and then the screen blurs a little bit.

                “Isn’t it kinda late?” Kyungsoo asks once the screen shows Kris’s face again.

                “Hm? Not really. It’s only like 7 pm here. Ah, good morning, Soo” Kris sheepishly smiles.

                Kyungsoo chuckles, “Good morning, and good evening to you, Kris”

                “Aren’t you supposed to get ready to school?” Kris asks.

                “I will get ready soon.”

                Silence blankets them after that.

                “Hey, I told you to tell me if anything is wrong. I’m here, you know. You don’t have to keep it to yourself.” Kris suddenly says.

                “Yeah, I know. Oh, anyway, have you met your fiancé?” Kyungsoo changes the topic.

                “I did. I went to China last week in case you forgot that I already told you about that.” Kyungsoo chuckles when he sees Kris pretends to get mad at him.

                “How was it?” He asks.

                “Well, he’s kinda scary at first, but once he warms up to me, he looks pretty cute” Kris happily explains.

                “Your fiancé is? So you do like him?” Kyungsoo asks.

                “I guess… so? I don’t know, we are still in the process of getting to know each other. I told him about you, though”

                “What did you tell him?” Kyungsoo suddenly tensed up.

                “Hey Soo, it’s okay. I just told him that I have someone I need to protect. You’re like a brother to me, Soo. I don’t want you to be alone by yourself” Kris reassures.

                But I’m already alone, Kris.

                Kyungsoo smiles, “Yeah, I got it. I better get ready for school now. Tell Uncle and Aunty I said hi”

                “Sure will. Have fun on school, Soo.” Then they say bye to each other.

               

---

 

                To be honest, Kyungsoo doesn’t want to be in school right now. He doesn’t want to see both Chanyeol and Baekhyun. But he doesn’t want to be absent from school either. It’s his second day on school and it’d be really weird if he did absent from school.

                But apparently the universe conspires against him. Chanyeol and Baekhyun have been waiting for him in front of the school gate just like yesterday. He ducks his head low down his hoody, hoping the couple not to notice him, but fail miserably.

                Chanyeol drags him away from the crowd of students. Baekhyun tails behind them like a lost puppy.

                “Are you avoiding me, Do Kyungsoo?” Chanyeol asks his best friend.

                No, I’m avoiding both of you.

                “No, I’m not.” Kyungsoo answer as he tries to release his hand from Chanyeol’s.

                “Are you sure? Is it about yesterday? I’m really sorry, Kyungsoo. It was just a misunderstanding. I’m really sorry” Chanyeol tries to explain.

                “It’s fine. Uhm, I better go now, the bell will ring soon” Kyungsoo reasons out but Chanyeol won’t buy any of that.

                “Byun Baekhyun, don’t you have anything to say to Kyungsoo?” Chanyeol looks at his boyfriend. Baekhyun fidgets as he plays with his bag straps.

                “Uhm..” Baekhyun bites his lower lips.

                “Baekhyun.” Chanyeol gives his boyfriend a hard look.

                “I’m sorry!” Baekhyun immediately bows. “I’m sorry for the misunderstanding yesterday. I guess I was too possessive of Chanyeol without realizing how much you mean to him. I hope you could forgive me and befriend with me…” Baekhyun trails off this last sentence.

                Kyungsoo stares at the beautiful boy in front of him. Byun Baekhyun is sure beautiful. He knows how much his best friend loves Baekhyun. If only Baekhyun knows that, he shouldn’t worry about Chanyeol cheating on him, especially with Kyungsoo. That will never happen.

                Nobody would love me the way Chanyeol loves you, Baek.

                Kyungsoo smiles at Baekhyun and pats his shoulder, “You have nothing to be sorry of”

                “You’re not mad at me…?” Baekhyun hesitantly asks.

                “Why would I? You have all the rights to be mad at me for what I did.” Kyungsoo reassures.

                “I guess we’re all good, then?” Chanyeol asks both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun. Both nod, Kyungsoo smiles at Chanyeol.

                “I’m going to my class, then. See you guys later” Kyungsoo excuses himself.

                “Kyung, you can always join us for lunch in the rooftop, you know” Chanyeol says before Kyungsoo goes.

                Kyungsoo looks at Baekhyun for any respond.

                “Right, Baek?” now Chanyeol asks his boyfriend. Baekhyun looks hesitate but he nods anyway. But Kyungsoo knows better than that.

                “Sure” Kyungsoo smiles then waves his hands to the couple. Before he walks away, he turns his back to see Chanyeol hugs Baekhyun and kisses his temple.

 

 

                Yeah, no one’s gonna love me the way Chanyeol loves you, Baek.