Ch. 1

Melted

It’s a rather chill morning. Park Chanyeol has been waiting for certain someone in front of the school gate for nearly 18 minutes now. And yes, Baekhyun -his boyfriend- counts it. It irritates Baekhyun actually. The school bell will ring in any minute but Chanyeol still refuses to leave the school gate.

 

“Yeol, c’mon, the bell will be ringing soon!” Baekhyun tugs Chanyeol’s sleeve, asking him to leave.

 

“Hold on, Baek. He said he will come to school today! I’m afraid he would get lost if I don’t see him right away!” Chanyeol insists to stay.

 

Baekhyun scoffs loudly and when he’s about to leave, a sleek black car stops in front of them. Soon enough, Chanyeol’s face blooms into a permanent big grin as if math test got cancelled for the day.

 

Chanyeol immediately runs to the figure who just got out of the car. Baekhyun nearly gets a heart attack when he sees his boyfriend hugs another boy. To be exact, the one who just got out from the black car and seemingly also the reason why Baekhyun waited in front of the gate for almost 20 minutes now.

 

“KYUNGSOO! I missed you so much!” Chanyeol squishes the boy tightly. The boy in his arms squirms and giggles.

 

Baekhyun’s breath is ragging; he can’t stand seeing his boyfriend hugging another boy. He was about to scream when Chanyeol finally let go of Kyungsoo. He takes a good look of this certain someone called Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo is not really tall, probably even shorter than Baekhyun by a centimeter or two. His skin is milky-white, an exquisite contrast to his black hair. His eyes are a lot wider than most Asian in general. He stares at Baekhyun then smiles. Heart-shaped lips.

 

He bows to Baekhyun politely, “Good morning, you must be Baekhyun”

 

Baekhyun is surprised a little bit that Kyungsoo knows his name, because for sure, he doesn’t know Kyungsoo at all. Realizing his hesitation, Kyungsoo steps forward and holds his hand for Baekhyun as a cue for hand-shake.

 

“My name is Do Kyungsoo. Chanyeol told me about you all the time. It’s nice to meet you.”

 

 

 

Although Kyungsoo is new in Baekhyun's world, in this span of 3 hours, he decides that everything about Kyungsoo screams ‘Perfection’

 

He’s well-mannered and nice. As a new student in the school, he gets along with his classmates pretty well. Teachers also seem to like him.

 

He’s smart and speaks English fluently. Baekhyun shares the same English class with him and he almost had a heart attack for the second time that day when he heard Kyungsoo reads the text from the English textbook without any accent.

 

He also admits that Kyungsoo’s voice is definitely soothing, the kind of voice that he’d like to hear every night before he falls asleep.

 

If he doesn’t know better, he’d think his boyfriend is cheating on him. But both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo laughed on his accusation. Chanyeol had explained earlier this morning before they went to the class that Kyungsoo is his childhood friend. Scratch that, more like best best friend. But Kyungsoo moved to The United States few years ago but then he decided to continue his high school here. Well, that explains why his English is so good.

 

 

It’s lunch time and Chanyeol brings Kyungsoo along with him and Baekhyun to the rooftop. It’s supposed to be the special place belongs to Chanyeol and Baekhyun only. Baekhyun is of course jealous. He’s mad because it’s supposed to be their place. Theirs. But then his stupid boyfriend brings his so-called-best friend with them. Baekhyun wants to scream ‘No!’ but he knows better than to make Chanyeol sad. If having lunch with Kyungsoo makes Chanyeol happy, then Baekhyun chooses to it up.

 

“I’ll go to the cafeteria to buy our lunch. Uhm, do you need something, Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun asks after he realized that none of them brings lunch.

 

Kyungsoo tilts his head to the side, “No, I’m good. Thanks though”

 

Chanyeol looks at his best friend in disbelief, “Are you sure? You’re not gonna eat lunch?”

 

Yeah, Kyungsoo. You need to eat to grow up. Baekhyun’s sarcastic inner self surfaces when he sees his boyfriend over-reacting to Kyungsoo’s respond. Of course, he doesn’t say that out loud.

 

“No, really, I’m not hungry” Kyungsoo reassures.

 

Chanyeol frowns but shrugs it anyway.

 

“I’ll buy you the usual, Yeol. I’ll be right back, ‘kay?” Baekhyun decides.

 

“Oh, Baek?” his boyfriend calls as he turns his back around to go.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Could you please buy banana milk for Kyungsoo?” he asks.

 

Kyungsoo looks like he’s about to say no but Chanyeol gives him a stern look that he settles on nothing. Baekhyun stops a second to see how his boyfriend really does take a good care of Kyungsoo and somehow it brings this little pang in his heart.

 

He clears his throat a little bit before saying, “Yeah, sure. I’ll be right back.”

 

 

 

Baekhyun is half-expecting to hear a loud chit-chat when he gets close to the rooftop’s door. Well, what do you expect from long separated best friend other than sharing about their lives? But no, he hears nothing. He slowly opens the door and the scenery in front of him is enough to make his blood boils.

 

Baekhyun tries really really hard not to burst his anger away. He gets jealous easily, yes. Call him possessive, he doesn’t mind. And Park Chanyeol knows that clearly. But why in the world he has to see his boyfriend sits on the ground, leaning to the rail, with Do Kyungsoo sleeps on his shoulder? As if that’s not enough, they hold hand. Park Chanyeol has his fingers intertwined with Kyungsoo’s.

 

Chanyeol looks up when he sees his boyfriend coming closer

 

“Hey Baek!” He grins.

 

Baekhyun drops the plastic bag -with their lunch in it- harshly to the ground. It makes a loud thud sound. Kyungsoo stirs a little bit in his sleep.

 

“Baek, what’s wrong?” Chanyeol whispers, probably tries not to wake Kyungsoo up, but his loud voice doesn’t do any justice.

 

“What’s wrong? You asked me what’s wrong?! This is what’s wrong!” Baekhyun points at the intertwined fingers. He doesn’t even make any attempt to control his voice.

 

Kyungsoo is already wide awake the second Baekhyun raised his voice. He immediately untangles his hand from Chanyeol’s.

 

“He’s still jet-lag. I just let him sleep for a little bit” Chanyeol tries to reason out. But Baekhyun doesn’t buy any of that.

 

“Do you really have to hold his hand?!” Baekhyun totally ignores Kyungsoo’s existence at this point.

 

“Baek, you don’t understand--“

 

“Then tell me, Park Chanyeol! Tell me so I can understand it!” Baekhyun’s breath is raging.

 

Kyungsoo awkwardly clears his throat that he gets two pairs of eyes watching him now.

 

“Uhm, I… I go back to the class first” Kyungsoo immediately runs to the door.

 

As soon as the door closed, he hears Baekhyun argues with Chanyeol as Chanyeol tries to explain things but Baekhyun doesn’t seem to care. Kyungsoo can’t bring his feet down the stairs so he chooses to squad down and buries his face in his knees. He covers his ears with his hands but he still can hear Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

 

“I told you I’m not cheating on you!” Chanyeol’s loud voice heard again.

 

“Oh, really now? You don’t even hold my hand in my sleep.” Baekhyun sarcastically replies.

 

“I have to do that so he can sleep”

 

“What the heck are you saying? That doesn’t even make any sense. You never treated anybody else like that before Chanyeol. Don’t lie to me becau-“

 

“Baek, I’m not lying to you!”

 

“But you-“

 

“BAEK LISTEN TO ME! PLEASE LISTEN TO ME!” Chanyeol raises his voice.

 

Baekhyun immediately shuts up. Chanyeol never raised his voice to him before. His anger dissipated into thin air. Tears prickling in his eyes.

 

“Baek, please, trust me when I said I’m not lying to you. Please trust me when I said I have to do that so he can sleep…” Chanyeol slowly explains.

 

“Then tell me, Chanyeol. You’re hiding something from me. Tell me what I don’t know about you and Kyungsoo” Baekhyun tries his best to hold his tears.

 

“I’m the only one he has, Baek…”

 

“What are you saying, Yeol? That doesn’t explain the reason why you have to take care of him like that and hold his hand while—“

 

“HE TRIED TO KILL HIMSELF BEFORE!” Chanyeol cuts Baekhyun immediately.

 

Those words are enough to make tears streaming down from Baekhyun’s eyes.

 

 

And Kyungsoo’s.