Two ~ Hold My Heart

Born Into Royalty

 

 

 

 

Six Months Ago

"Do you understand, Chanyeol?"

King Junmyeon peered searchingly into his eldest son's glazed eyes. He brushed back his hair unconsciously, a bad habit whenever he was stressed. The father and son were seated in the King's office, Junmyeon in the plush leather chair behind the carved desk stacked with piles of papers and Chanyeol standing modestly with his head down. Bookshelves surrounded the two males, reaching as high as the ceiling way above them.

"I understand, your Majesty."

The King sighed, tapping his fingers on his desk absent-mindedly. "I wish you'd stop calling me that. What's so wrong about 'Dad'? Sehun always calls me that."

"I'll try, Father." Junmyeon sighed once more. It was an awkward and forced improvement, so like Chanyeol to aim for perfection and meet everyone's expectations. The usual standard for the soon-to-be ruler of Korea.

"I also wish we didn't have to force you into this, but America and Korea are at the brink of a war, over years of hostility. If you marry Princess Ailee, the two of you can unite the two kingdoms, thus starting a new era of trade and alliance."

"I understand, Father."

King Junmyeon viewed his eldest sadly, mentally comparing the stiff, perfectionist Chanyeol to the wild, brash Sehun. If only they could find a balance in each other. He leaned forward in his chair, placing his elbows on his knees. "You'll meet Princess Ailee next Friday. I hope you two get along, for the sake of making the rest of your lives much more easier. That is all. You are dismissed."

The Prince bowed deeply before making a sharp one-eighty degree turn and marching out the door, his footsteps interrupting the silence.

 

¤¤¤

 

Present

"Not this one." Sehun flipped through the profiles halfheartedly, staring at each photo for a millisecond before determining whether or not he wanted that lady to come to his kingdom. Swirling in his chair, Sehun swung his legs, bored. He squinted, before declaring, "Nope."

Jongin approached the pile Sehun deemed APPROVED and scowled when he realized the pattern. "You're just choosing pretty girls."

"Never knew there were so many." Sehun chuckled dryly under his breath. Flipping to the next profile, he stopped at the picture of a girl smiling shyly at the camera, hiding half of her face cutely under her silky, dark locks. He spent the longest time staring at the picture, eyes flickering to the name. "Ji-eun."

His butler crouched down and picked up a profile discarded in the corner of the room. "Luna? What pile is she in?"

"Put Ji-eun in that pile, too." Sehun smirked as he handed Ji-eun's profile over before reaching for another one. "It's reserved for the special ones."

 

¤¤¤

 

"Luhan..." Ji-eun sobbed into her pillow, punching weakly at her bed. "Luhan, what am I to do?"

"I don't know... , what am I supposed to do?" Luhan swore, kicking her chair over in frustration. He paced the room in hopes of an idea popping into his mind, but all that remained was him imagining his life without his twin sister.

"Luhan."

The boy turned to meet eyes with his two childhood friends, standing by the doorway of Ji-eun's room. Luhan gave a resigned sigh as he glanced back at his sister, who was too busy crying her eyes out, to notice the two visitors. Yixing ran his hand through his hair - worry as clear as the dimples that were still there even when he didn't smile. His lanky frame approached the bed smoothly. As gentle as his personality, he Ji-eun's hair softly, whispering something in her ear.

"We heard about it," Baekhyun muttered quietly to Luhan. His friend who usually had the hugest grin on his face was now solemn and serious, which racked Luhan to the core much more than it should.

Ji-eun sat up at Baekhyun’s words. Pulling herself out of bed, she walked over to her desk and picked up the letter, tossing it to Baekhyun.

“What is this?” asked Baekhyun, managing to catch the letter. He bit his lip at the dumb question when he looked at the official print and the royal stamp. “Oh.”

“Yeah, oh,” Ji-eun bit back, eyes still on the desk. “It’s the invitation. I got chosen.”

Yixing immediately put his arm around her, rubbing her shoulders soothingly, as Baekhyun opened the letter and read through the contents quickly. He cleared his throat. “They’re, uh, coming in a week’s time. You should start packing.”

“No, I’m not going,” Ji-eun replied hotly.

“I don’t think rejecting the royals is a good idea,” Baekhyun replied, glancing uncomfortably at Luhan. “Especially given our status-”

In a second, Ji-eun was at Baekhyun’s side and ripped the letter out of his hands. She crumpled it up, ready to tear it into pieces. “They can’t make me go.”

“What are we, four years old now?” replied Baekhyun with an edge to his voice. “This ing , but what if they fine your family?”

“Baekhyun,” Luhan warned.

Baekhyun held his hands up and took a step back. “I’m just saying. Throwing a tantrum isn’t the best way to solve things.”

Ji-eun glared him down. “What the is wrong with you?”

“Ji-eun, stop,” Yixing’s calm voice sliced through the tension in the room. Luhan and Baekhyun traded looks, knowing they were going to be witness to what might as well be a civil war. “Calm down.”

“Did you actually just-” Ji-eun laughed in disbelief, running a hand through her hair. Gripping the crumpled-up letter in her hand, she threw it at Yixing, who dodged it swiftly. It knocked down a couple photos off her wall. “Calm down? Really, Yixing? Am I not allowed to feel upset at being forced to compete for a prince I don’t give a about? I can’t get mad that our country’s regressing so far back?”

“That’s not what I meant,” Yixing said quietly. “You’re right in being upset, but I also agree with Baekhyun. Turning down the royals isn’t something that’s allowed. You should go. You can leave after, right? If Prince Sehun is dissatisfied with you.”

“So I have to make a fool out of myself in front of all those other beautiful girls? That’s the grand plan?” Ji-eun didn’t let Yixing reply and continued, voice rising with emotion. “Do you even care that I’m competing to be engaged to another man?”

“Is that what it really seems to you?” Yixing asked back, still deathly calm.

That seemed to be the end of the fight. Ji-eun blinked furiously, before crouching down to pick up the fallen photos. Luhan knew it was a tactic for her to hide her tears, since she hated letting people see her cry.

“Hey, Ji-eun.” Luhan crouched down and put a reassuring hand on her back. “You okay?”

Instead of the expected choked-up response, Ji-eun asked in a weird tone, “Luhan, will you do anything for me?"

Luhan was confused at first, until he saw the pictures she was holding. The one at the very top was of Ji-eun in a dress looking extremely uncomfortable. Except that wasn’t Ji-eun. He whispered, “Oh, no.”

"This is a really stupid idea, I know.” Ji-eun covered her face with her hands, and Luhan knew she was seconds from breaking down again. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have-”

"Hold up, Yixing and I don't have any of your weird twin psychic abilities so please explain verbally, okay?" Baekhyun stepped in between the twins, narrowing his eyes at both of them.

Luhan sighed, taking the photo from Ji-eun and holding it up. "You see this picture of Ji-eun? It looks exactly like her, right?"

Baekhyun nodded. Yixing stayed silent. Luhan thought Yixing could read Ji-eun's mind as well as he could.

“It’s not me in that dress,” Ji-eun spoke up, still in that weird, guilty tone. Baekhyun's eyes narrowed in confusion before a dawning realization smoothed out his features. "I forced Luhan to cross-dress once for my eleventh birthday. I was a curious child, and I wanted to know if my twin looked exactly like me as a girl."

Baekhyun stared in shock at his best friend, seeing Luhan in an entirely different light. "You-"

"It was for her birthday! She nearly blackmailed me into it!" Luhan protested, voice raising due to embarrassment.

"But you actually do look like Ji-eun. It's kinda scary," Baekhyun murmured as he observed the photo once more, eyes flickering between the boy beside him and the boy in the picture. "If you wanted to impersonate her, you might actually make it."

“No way.” Luhan shook his head. “I know what you’re thinking, but c’mon, there are so many things that could go wrong. What if they find out? That’ll be way worse than a fine.”

"You'll probably be eliminated long before then," Baekhyun scoffed. Luhan scowled at his friend before slugging him in the shoulder. Wincing, Baekhyun put his hands up in surrender. "Just saying."

“Luhan, you really don’t have to,” Ji-eun said, clutching her twin’s hands. He gulped at seeing her glistening eyes up close. “I can’t expect this from you.”

“It’s your decision,” Baekhyun called out, shrugging. “It’s you or her.”

“Just - I just need some time to think this through.” Luhan sat down on his bed, dropping his head into his hands. Things really could change drastically in a few days.

He felt uncomfortable at the prospect, yes. But looking at the weird atmosphere in the room, he also knew he would feel uncomfortable for the rest of the time that Ji-eun was gone, and maybe even after she returned. This was causing a drift between everyone, especially Yixing and his sister.

Luhan sighed, lifting his head. “Okay, how are we going to pull this off?”

 

¤¤¤

 

A few, brief knocks interrupted the tense family's breakfast. The twins' father ate his meal solemnly, while Ji-eun fidgeted around in her seat restlessly.

Their dad went up to let the soldiers in. Ji-eun jumped up, heading to her room while calling out innocently over her shoulder, "I'll go grab my bags!"

"Hurry-" The reply was cut short as their father smoothly transitioned to the charming host, "Welcome, please come in!"

Dashing up the stairs two at a time, Ji-eun sprinted into her bedroom and locked the door behind her. Flinging open her window, she pulled in Luhan, who had climbed up the apple tree in their front yard after the soldiers entered their home. She searched through her wardrobe quickly for the outfit they chose beforehand. Something baggy to hide the noticeable lack of certain areas. An over-sized blouse and large trousers flew onto Luhan's rumpled hair with the instructions to change quickly. Ji-eun spun to her table and grabbed the wig she bought from the local hairdresser's along with her make-up kit.

"Close your eyes and mouth,” instructed his sister.

Ji-eun tugged the wig over Luhan's short fringe, and the boy could feel the silky curls tumbling to his shoulder. Ji-eun had cut her long, wavy hair so they would have enough hair to make a wig for Luhan, knowing that the hair had to look similar to hers. Luhan nearly sneezed as his sister powdered his face with foundation, a brush dusting all over his fair skin. Something cold pressed against his eye, and soon traced his lips as well. The whole process took a few minutes, but felt like eternity for Luhan as conflicting thoughts invaded his mind.

"Done." His sister wasted no time and shoved the bags into his hand, pushing him down the stairs. Seeing her brother hesitate, she reassured his doubts, "You look just like me, don't worry. I left the letter in my room. I'll miss you!"

"I'll miss you, too," Luhan shot out before seeing his sister disappear into her room and open her window, preparing for the next step of her plan.

Luhan ran down the stairs to find his father at the table with three soldiers wearing red and black uniforms with loaded guns by their side. He tugged at the hem of his light shirt, wondering if his father could tell him apart from Ji-eun. He coughed before speaking in the voice he rehearsed with Ji-eun million of times before. "I'm here."

"Ji-eun..." Luhan watched his father turn towards him with a sad smile which quickly morphed into an unreadable expression.

He looked like he wanted to say something, but one of the guards cut him off, "I'll carry your bags for you, Miss."

"Thank you." Luhan followed the guards out of the house after giving his father a quick peck on the cheek with a breezy I'll miss you. He stumbled down the steps, but none of the guards noticed his fall. He still wasn’t used to his sister’s shoes. Glancing around one last time at the village he grew up in, Luhan found himself struck with a strong sense of nostalgia for every single thing. Everywhere he looked, he was met with memories, some aggravating and some heart-melting. The field of impossibly green grass where he and his friends played soccer, his school, and even the ravine held a place in his heart. He lingered behind, not wanting to board the carriage waiting for him. He could see the silhouette of young girls in the various, beautiful carriages lined by the path side.

A flash of movement behind the apple tree in front of his house caught Luhan's eye before he continued. He widened his eyes at the sight of Baekhyun gesturing wildly at Luhan's head. The confused boy raised his hands to pat his head and realized with growing panic that his wig was missing. It must have fallen when I tripped down the stairs, he realized in worry.

Luhan frantically shot a glance at the guards and saw that one of them was turning around to check on why it was taking so long for a girl to walk a few metres. Thinking quickly, Luhan picked up a stone and threw it at the farthest carriage. His attempt at distraction was successful as the guards turned to inspect the commotion.

Luhan turned around, gulping, to get body-slammed by Baekhyun into the nearest carriage with an open door. It was suffice to say Luhan got knocked out by the impact of 127 pounds.

 

¤¤¤

 

Spitting out a mouthful of dry hair, Luhan blinked his eyes drowsily before groaning due to the sudden wave of pain. Luhan winced as he touched the back of his head. Confused at the wet fabric under his fingers, Luhan brought his hand in front of his face and squinted to see the red stains smeared on his pale finger tips.

"Ah, so the first has awoken." A light, familiar tone rang out, shocking Luhan into flinching. The boy tried to sit up, but let out a shout at the ache in his back. It felt like his entire lower section of his body was on fire. He slowly propped himself up on one arm. The voice came from above him, "I wouldn't do that if I were you. You're bleeding a lot. I tried to bandage you up."

"...Luna?"

Luhan dragged himself laboriously onto the seat, using the edge as a crutch. He leaned tiredly against the wall of the carriage, feeling the motion of the vehicle bumping along the road. His eyes had just adjusted to the lighting before the girl pulled open the curtains blocking the windows of the carriage. Luhan squinted, putting a hand up to shield himself from the sunlight. "Hey, Lulu."

The boy widened his eyes. He couldn't believe his luck. Here he was, pretending to be his sister, just to be found out by Ji-eun's best friend. The familiar girl with her sunny smile and shoulder-length side bangs sat in front of him with her legs crossed. Luhan would be stupid to deny her beauty, and a liar to say he never had a crush on her before. But that was all in the past.

"What are you doing here? What happened to Ji-eun?"

"Oh, she's back home..." Luhan trailed off as he searched for his wig. He widened his eyes to find an unconscious Baekhyun lying on the floor of the carriage with a mouth wide-open, the wig hiding half of his face. "! Why is Baek here? What the happened?"

"Oh, after Baek shoved you into the carriage that I was in, he kinda fell in, too. I shut the door quickly before the guards came because, well, I didn't think that you two wanted to be arrested. And you guys were knocked-out cold for the past fifteen minutes. Your head was bleeding so I ripped off a strip of fabric from Baek's shirt and wrapped it around your head."

". This is not good, this is so not good!" Luhan scrunched his hair in his fist, shutting his eyes. "Why did Ji-eun think this was a good idea?"

Luna let out a giggle. "Of course. I should have known it was because of that crazy wench."

Luhan sighed as he reached down to grab the wig. He tugged it over his head until the bangs came into his eyes' line of vision. Checking that his make-up wasn't messed up in the reflection of the window pane, Luhan wiped away the remaining lipstick on his mouth. He made a face. Luna said in awe, "You really do look like Ji-eun..."

"She didn’t want to come. You know her well enough to know why. I was a close enough replacement." The boy leaned his head dejectedly, watching all the familiar streets disappear with the distance. "We practiced my 'girl' voice and the way I should act."

"You actually agreed?" Luna gave him an admiring smile which took Luhan by surprise. He quickly covered his face to hide the blush spreading across his cheeks. He expected her to state the plan crazy, or find him a freak for cross-dressing. "You must really love Yixing and Ji-eun, to do something like this for them."

"Yeah... I kinda owe both of them-" A loud moan interrupted their conversation from the ground. Luna leaned forward, peering down at Baekhyun with sparkling eyes and a teasing sigh. Luhan was less sweet and kicked his friend in the leg. It was Baek's fault that he had a bandage around his head, after all.

" you, Luhan - argh!" Baek quickly shot up and stared in disbelief at his surroundings. Luna waved at him with a grin. Luhan scowled. Baekhyun stood up, but fell down again due to the rocking carriage. "What the - this is a moving vehicle, oh god. Am I going to the castle with the girls?"

"No , Sherlock," Luhan grumbled, though he couldn't help but feel guilty for dragging Baekhyun all the way out here, miles away from home, just to make sure his sister was happy. He averted his gaze, his tone softening. "I'm sorry about all this, Baek. I didn't mean for you to get dragged into this mess."

Baekhyun sighed in response and plopped down beside Luhan. "It's okay. It's not like I had much left back there."

Luhan stiffened, knowing all too well what Baekhyun was referring to. Luna seemed to, as well, and smoothly changed the topic with another of her bright beams. "It's gonna be hard in the capital, so I'm going to help you guys! I'll cover for you whenever the officers come around to check. And I overheard one of them saying we'll have some time to ourselves to settle, if that's any help to you guys."

"Thanks, Luna." Luhan gave her a grateful smile, which she returned. With Baekhyun and now Luna with him, Luhan felt a little more relieved at not diving into this unknown world alone.

 

¤¤¤

 

"Prince Sehun! The ladies are arriving!"

Jongin glanced up at the servant who delivered the news before fixating his stare onto the disinterested Prince idling on the dark red love seat. Deciding the Prince wasn't going to answer any time soon, Jongin replied for him, "I'll go meet them outside."

"You do that." Sehun's bored response drifted to Jongin's stiffened frame, though his last two words were too late to reach the vanished butler. "Thanks, Jongin."

Making sure the coast was clear - meaning no one was around to see him perk up - Sehun climbed out of his couch and sauntered up to the large window balcony overseeing the giant lawn spreading over the estate. Watching detachedly at the pretty girls walking up the pebbled path, some in groups, pairs, and some by themselves. Sehun didn't feel the love his mother so desperately wanted him to feel towards any of the girls. The only thing was the lust, the attraction to their feminine curves and delicate faces.

Sehun was immature, yes, but he understood that there was no use stressing over things he couldn’t change. Everything was set into motion way before he was informed.

Besides, seeing twenty pretty faces everyday wasn’t exactly the worst thing to endure.

His attention was caught by one of the girls at the very back of the group walking with her friend. He didn’t know what it was, but his eyes just naturally strayed to her. The Prince cocked his head to the side as he watched that strange girl look back five times in a row, as if someone was following them. Weird.

Sehun didn't know what it was about that girl. Her actions? Her carefree appearance? He felt weird staring, as if he was creeping on her or something. The Prince sniffed, stuck his nose up in the air, and spun away from the window to rid all thoughts of the abnormal girl from his mind.

 

 

 


A/N: Thanks for all the subs, upvotes, and comments! I really appreciate it! ^^