Thirteen ~ Puzzle Pieces

Born Into Royalty

 

 

 

 

After three more draining interviews, Sehun finally managed to free himself from the spotlight. He was trained to stay professional in front of the camera and he knew what facial expressions and angles made him the most appealing on screens. It was normally a rather easy feat for him to accomplish but after that little fiasco with Luhan, every attempt after to show his good side was strained. He went out of his way to ich expressions and angles made him the most appealing, but after that whole fiasco with Ji-eun chewing him out in front of the camera, Sehun felt himself straining to keep the act going. Every time his smile slipped, he covered it up by scooching closer to the girl being interviewed or giving them a smothering look. It was easy, putting on a show for the audience and it distracted him from whatever Ji-eun was up to.

The Prince knew Ji-eun didn’t want to be there, didn’t want to compete for his hand in marriage. But recently, they had barely managed to establish a friendship, and it seemed like he somehow screwed it up. How did they go from dancing in the garden to yelling at each other on national television?

Sehun knew what it meant, thinking about Ji-eun all the time and being hurt whenever she turned her back on him. He knew exactly what his heart was saying, but he didn’t want to listen to it. It’ll bring around pain in the end. He wouldn’t be able to have her, not when she obviously didn’t like him, and it’ll eat away at him. So the best he could do was be her friend, but even that wasn’t working in his favour.

The Prince nodded at Yoona, who was fanning herself with the script, before making his way to the exit. He had no idea where Ji-eun would be at this time of the day, so he’d better get a head start on the chase before he got roped into more responsibilities.

“Prince Sehun!”

Just my luck. Sehun fluttered his eyes shut, groaning. He pretended not to hear his name being called and picked up the pace.

“Prince, I know you can hear me,” Miss Bom drawled as she popped up by his side. Grumbling, Sehun’s shoulders deflated as he turned to face her. “Now, where are you rushing off to? You still have duties to tend to.”

“I was just trying to… find a friend.”

“Don’t tell me you’re looking for that Ji-eun girl,” Miss Bom frowned. She crossed her arms, hips cocked, as she glared at him. “I’m all for bonding with the contestants, but stop focusing too much on one girl! At this rate, it’ll be no surprise who the Princess is going to be, but you should weigh your options again and at least choose a girl that’s not a farmer.”

Sehun counted to ten in his head and back down to one. Calm down. People are watching. It’ll look bad if you blow up at your servant publicly. Forcing his features to relax, Sehun replied, “What’s so bad about marrying a farmer? Queen Krystal was a servant before.”

“All I’m saying is to pay more attention to the other girls. Get to know them better. Who knows? You might find that you prefer them over… the other one.”

“Her name’s Ji-eun.” Sehun rolled his eyes.

“Okay, Ji-eun, whatever.” Miss Bom flipped her hair out of her face as her expression abruptly changed to a sickly sweet smile. “Oh, I forgot to tell you that our Queen’s awake again.”

The Prince’s eyes lit up in surprise. He didn’t bother to ask how Miss Bom could forget to mention something so important as that, knowing that she was manipulating him into spending less time with Ji-eun. Still, it was wonderful news. Thoughts of his mom recovering ran through his mind. Grinning, Sehun practically sprinted to the Queen’s chambers.

Soon after, Sehun was sitting by his mother’s bedside, briefing her on all the events leading to now. Maybe it was the sunlight, but to his delight, the Queen appeared much more healthier after her extended rest. Queen Krystal had joked that he was only this happy seeing her when she was bedridden. Sehun didn’t find it funny.

“So, have you decided on which girl’s to be the next Princess?” Queen Krystal asked. The corners of her lips twisted into an amused smile when Sehun scrunched his nose.

“That’s what everyone’s asking me, but they always get upset at my answer.”

“Who’s the unfortunate girl?”

The Prince laughed off her jab, and put off answering the question by offering, “Want me to open the window for you first?”

Krystal hit his arm lightly and said, “Just tell me, knucklehead.”

“Lee Ji-eun,” Sehun sighed, “We went on a date once because it was the prize for one of the tests she won. It was surprisingly fun. I mean, before that, she hated my guts. But then we talked more and when she stopped hating me, she’s actually a really nice person. Warm and friendly. And her smile’s really cute.”

“Sounds like my little Sehunnie has a crush,” Krystal teased as she ruffled the Prince’s hair. Sehun let her mess his precious hair up for three painful seconds before making a face and pulling away.

“It’s not like that!”

“Uh-huh,” His mom raised an eyebrow.

“Well… Even if it was, it’s not going to lead to anything.” Sehun bit his lip. “At the end of our date, I kind of… almost kissed her and then ran away.”

“What.”

“I don’t know!” Sehun threw his hands up in the air, exclaiming, “I was scared. Like, in that moment, all this warmth and these fuzzy feelings crashed over me and I just - I guess I realized how much I liked her. It was really weird and different because I was just planning on kissing her and treating her like all the other girls, y’know? But I couldn’t do it.”

“I can’t believe I raised a player,” Krystal cried as she whacked Sehun’s arm, “Is this how you treat every girl? I thought I taught you better!”

“Ow - Mom, stop it!” Sehun threw his arms up to protect himself. “It doesn’t even matter anymore. I’m not allowed to marry her anyway, since she’s a farmer’s daughter. Besides, she doesn’t even like me. We’re just friends and I - I think she likes Jongin.”

“Oh, Sehun,” Krystal sighed and reached over to give him a hug. “Just because you’re my son doesn’t mean every girl is meant to fall in love with you.”

“I know, Mom.”

“It’s understandable that Ji-eun feels closer to Jongin since they’re from similar backgrounds, but hey, soon enough she’ll see your charm, won’t she?” Krystal patted him on the head with a grin, “Chin up, Prince. Don’t worry. You’re my son, after all. And remember, it’s never too late to say sorry.”

“Right, but what’s my charm?” Sehun frowned. “I know I’m good-looking, but she isn’t falling for that.”

“You’ll figure it out,” Krystal shook her head, before making a shooing motion. “Now get out, I need to take my medicine.”

“I’ll leave you to it then,” Sehun made to leave, but stopped when the Queen held onto his arm. He looked at her in surprise. “Do you need anything, Mom?”

“Thank you,” Queen Krystal smiled, eyes bright, “for not mentioning it.”

Sehun swallowed the lump in his throat, knowing all too well what the Queen was referring to. Her illness. He managed a smile in return, “It’s alright.”

The Prince shut the door behind him quietly. He stayed a few more moments to hear his mother take the medicine with gulps of water and the rustling of her settling into bed. Letting out a breath, Sehun finally walked away.

 

¤¤¤

 

After talking with Kyungsoo, Luhan had decided to leave the chef to his alone time. After all, it was his off day and Luhan didn’t want to monopolize all of his time. Out in the hallway, the boy’s steps were lighter than before and a small smile was present on his face. It was easier than he’d expected, telling his secret. If Kyungsoo could forgive me that quickly… Luhan let the tiniest spark of hope burn in his chest, then maybe Sehun can, too.

But would it even matter to the Prince? They were friends, that was all. Sehun had said so himself. Nothing more. Besides, the Prince was surrounded by a select group of beautiful girls that he could pick. Why would he choose Luhan, with his prickly attitude? He had told himself this many times over and over again, to put out that flame of hope. It’s better to be pessimistic than disappointed.

“Ji-eun?”

Luhan started, looking around him to see who called his name. A knock on the wall beside him dragged his attention to the open window, where Sehun was leaning with arms draped over the frame. It was an unfairly attractive pose. Luhan’s heart agreed with a pang.

“C’mere,” Sehun smiled at him. The Prince’s mood seemed suspiciously high.

“What do you need?” Luhan inched slowly towards the younger boy.

“Hey, I’m sorry.”

“For?” Luhan blinked, thoroughly confused.

“For the interview. I didn’t get to explain this before but I really didn’t mean anything with all the touching. It was just something the production team wanted me to do. I’m sorry it made you uncomfortable.”

“Oh, er, it’s fine.” Luhan waved his hands, pricks of guilt stabbing into him. Sehun shouldn’t be the one apologizing. “It’s not your fault, I get it. I kind of overreacted, too. At the time, it just seemed like something I needed to bring up.”

“You wanted to get out of the interview, right? That’s why you acted the way you did,” Sehun smiled wryly.

Luhan paused, before breaking into a hesitant grin, “You know me too well.”

“Well, I’m going to make it up to you anyway,” Sehun took a step back from the window and gestured for Luhan to follow him. “Come on.”

Luhan stilled. Every fibre in his body was screaming no, don’t do it but Sehun was looking up at him with a hopeful grin and a hand out and Luhan felt himself positively melt. After a few bated breaths, Sehun rolled his eyes impatiently and mimed dragging Luhan out of the window. Laughing, Luhan made an impulsive decision and leaped through the window easily. As he trailed after the Prince, he noted the younger boy’s outfit. High-top Converse, worn-out jeans, and a grey crew-neck tee shouted casual disguise so people won’t recognize me.

“So, where are we going?” Luhan asked, distracting himself from how good Sehun’s behind looked in those jeans.

“Downtown, again.” Sehun shot him a look, as if to make sure Luhan didn’t run away yet. “I know what happened last time, and I promise it won’t end like that. We’re just going to stop by at one of my favourite restaurants and eat out.”

Luhan fought to keep the smile off his face. “Just the two of us?”

“Does it look like there’s anyone else?”

“But I didn’t win anything.”

“Lord,” The younger boy huffed, glaring at Luhan. “Is it that hard to hang out with you?”

“Depends.” Luhan shrugged. “What are we eating?”

“Cheesecake,” Sehun said, lilting the last syllable so it came out like a question.

“Ooh, not bad,” Luhan stifled a laugh at the Prince’s expression. “I’m up for some cheesecake.”

“Great!” The Prince couldn’t stop the grin from growing on his face as he ran his fingers through his hair. He repeated again, toning down the enthusiasm. “That’s really great.”

 

¤¤¤

 

“Woah.”

Woah was an understatement. When Sehun talked about cheesecake, Luhan imagined the bakery his family frequented, with the small counter and a glass screen that allowed you to view the pastries. He did not expect the shabby, homey diner, Hole in the Wall, with no waitresses and only high-stool tables and couches to sit at.

Sehun motioned for Luhan to sit at one of the couches, and the older boy chose the one with less stains. Soon after, Sehun came back from the counter with two plates of strawberry cheesecake and two cups of coffee.

Twirling his fork in one hand, Luhan asked, “How did you find this place? I don’t think princes actively search for these kind of restaurants. It’s cozy, but not…”

“Expensive? Classy?” Sehun filled in. He settled into the couch, making himself comfortable. “When I was sixteen, I ran away from the Castle after getting into a fight with my father over something stupid - I can’t even remember what we argued about - and I got lost. It started raining, so I ran into the nearest shop to take cover. And Hole in the Wall was it.”

“I can totally imagine the teenage Prince being all teen-angst and bratty and running away,” Luhan quipped. “But why did you take me here?”

“You know how everyone has their hideaway? I assume yours is that soccer field, and I understand now why you didn’t want me there, because I was intruding on your alone time. Yeah, this is my hideaway.” A hint of a crooked smile was still present on Sehun, which did not help the thrumming in Luhan’s veins. “I thought you’d like it. I wanted to show you the best parts of Seoul, and this is one of them.”

“It’s really comfortable. I do like it,” Luhan smiled. “Most people think of the Namsan tower when they imagine Seoul. This is different.”

“I can take you to Namsan, if you want.”

“Isn’t that place for couples?” Luhan asked, then shot up once he realized what he had just said. Sehun glanced up at him with a weird expression. The older boy said quickly before Sehun could reply, “Y’know what? I’d rather go to Myeongdong and shop or visit some historical sites. Han River sounds good, too.”

Sehun still looked at him with that strange expression. After a beat, he wiped it off with a smile and said, “It sounds like you’re planning a tour. We can do it all. Anything you want.”

“Really?” Luhan let a little wonder and longing drip into his tone. After the disastrous interview, he doubted he would be allowed to stay in Seoul any longer, and Sehun looked like he suspected as much. The older boy smiled genuinely, “When are you going to do all that with me? I don’t think we have that much time.”

“I’ll make time.”

“No, it’s not that.”

“What do you mean?” Sehun was leaning forward now, something akin to worry in his eyes.

“I just - it’s nothing big. I just don’t think I’m going to stay here any longer.” At Sehun’s confused look, Luhan elaborated, “Well, I screwed up pretty much eighty percent of the trials, and after that interview, I don’t think the citizens will favour me either. Basically, I’m going to get eliminated.”

“You don’t know for sure,” Sehun protested. Luhan noticed that the Prince didn’t take a bite out of his cheesecake but the older boy had already finished his own.

“Hey, aren’t you going to eat?” Luhan asked. His frown dug even deeper when Sehun shook his head.

“Not hungry. Do you honestly think you’re going to get eliminated? Do you think I’ll let them?”

“Yes, I will get eliminated.” Luhan paused at the second question. “And I don’t think it’s up to you to decide at this point.”

“But it’s my wife that I’m choo-” Sehun halted mid sentence when Luhan shoved a forkful of cheesecake into his face.

“Eat.”

Sehun looked down at the cake, then back up at the waiting boy. The corners of his lips tugged upward as he steadied Luhan’s hand and took the cake into his mouth, all the while eyes focused on Luhan, who was getting redder by the second.

“I felt bad being the only one eating, especially when you’re paying,” Luhan explained, looking away. Sehun merely smiled and wiped his lips with a napkin. “And anyway, both of us know I don’t want to live in the Royal Castle just to fight for your hand in marriage. I don’t feel like there’s a reason for me to be here. It’s better that I leave as soon as possible.”

“You make it sound like I’m a prize to be won.” Sehun raised an eyebrow. “Besides, there is a reason for you here. You’re by my side, right now, because I want you here.”

“Oh, I’m so honoured,” Luhan drawled the last word sarcastically. “I don’t get it, though.”

“Hm?”

“Why me? Why do you keep insisting on being my friend? I mean, I clearly told you I didn’t want to be close to you when I first got here and look at us now, all buddy-buddy eating baked goods.”

“Delicious baked goods,” Sehun corrected, and held his fork in the air. “You’re different from other girls.”

“Oh, hell no.” Luhan raised his eyebrows. You have no idea how different I am. “I’m not taking that cheese for an answer. ‘You’re different from other girls, so refreshing, the only girl who doesn’t beg me to look at her, blah blah.’ Don’t give me that crap.”

“Joking, joking,” Apparently, the older boy’s reaction was amusing to the Prince. “That’s why. How you responded, right there. You’re interesting. Fun. It’s easy talking to you and it feels good being around you. And you’re not afraid to correct me or insult me because I’m royalty. You’re so Ji-eun, and I like that.”

Luhan stared hard at him, making sure he wasn’t lying. He deflated a little.

He didn’t think it was possible, but Luhan had fallen another step into love.

 

¤¤¤

 

“What about me?”

“Hm?” Luhan hummed a little, arms out to balance himself so he didn’t fall off the short stone wall, separating pavement from grass.

“What made you change your mind about me?” Sehun asked as he walked beside Luhan. It was the only instance in which the older boy was taller than him, and he had to crane his head to meet Luhan’s eyes.

After finishing their cheesecake, Sehun suggested for them to walk by the Han River, which was surprisingly close by, so they could check off another item on Luhan’s Seoul Attractions List. Luhan realized that another reason why Sehun chose to eat at Hole in the Wall was because it was so casual there that no one had recognized him. By the river, where plenty of citizens were cycling past, running, or walking, there was a much higher chance of being noticed. Sehun was smart enough to bring a baseball cap to hide his face.

The Prince was tugging down said baseball cap self-consciously as another group of people passed by. Luhan sighed a little, wondering if he had to behave like that too once his face aired on TV.

“I guess I realized there wasn’t a need to be so guarded around you,” responded Luhan. The shorter boy jumped off the stone wall and positioned himself so Sehun was to the side of the pathway, away from the other people. “At first, you struck me as a sleazy man- of a prince who only wanted to run around and be wild.”

“Thanks,” Sehun muttered sarcastically under his breath.

“But then I got to know you better, and I learned that you had your problems, too. And you only hit on girls you were supposed to.” Luhan nudged Sehun’s side playfully. The former couldn’t help feeling like he was playing with fire.

“Do you like Jongin more?”

“Jongin? Where did that come from?” Luhan stared at Sehun, who covered his mouth like he couldn’t believe he blurted that question out loud. He laughed out of surprise, “Well, I definitely like Jongin, but I can’t compare how I feel about you two.”

Sehun pouted, obviously not satisfied with the answer. Luhan didn’t know what the Prince was expecting. “Why not?”

“It’s hard to explain.” Luhan tugged at Sehun’s cap, smiling, “Why do you ask? Is the little Prince jealous?”

“No!” Sehun exclaimed, and if it weren’t for the darkening sky, Luhan would have noticed the telltale blush spreading across the Prince’s cheeks.

Sehun was too distracted batting Luhan’s hands away to notice the oncoming, furiously pedalling bicyclist. Luckily, Luhan and his soccer reflexes came into use as he tugged Sehun to the side, both of them falling to the ground from the momentum. A windy, “sorry!” came from behind them as the biker cycled away.

“Oof!” Sehun groaned when Luhan landed on his chest. The older boy in a breath at the close proximity, and he didn’t know where to look or where to put his hands. His heart was beating so loud he half-expected Sehun to hear it. Awkwardly, Luhan clambered off the Prince, patting down his wig. The Prince cleared his throat, and if Luhan didn’t notice the blush from before, he certainly did now.

What just happened?

Luhan’s heart pounded against his ribcage, and he felt like it was making its way up to his throat. Swallowing hard, the older boy turned away and said, “We should be heading back.”

“Yeah,” Sehun said hazily. “Yeah, we should.”

 

¤¤¤

 

It had only been mere moments since Luhan plopped down on his bed with a satisfied, content sigh until he was interrupted by a knock on his door. He pulled open the door to reveal a servant holding a cream letter sealed with red wax. Raising an eyebrow, Luhan thanked the servant and took the envelope.

Shutting the door behind him, Luhan flipped the letter over and skimmed the familiar scrawl addressing the letter to him. His heart skipped a beat when he realized it was from his family. A wide grin spread across Luhan’s face as he hurriedly slit open the letter and slid out the lavender-scented piece of paper. Ji-eun’s favourite stationery.

It read:

Dear Ji-eun,

Dad and I miss you a lot. I have returned from Yixing’s house to our own, and Dad and I talked about you staying in Seoul. We were notified that there was a family meeting day where we can travel to Seoul to meet you again. I’m very excited for that!

Dad wants you to know that if the Prince didn’t drop you yet, then I’d have to follow Dad there with another change of your clothes. Just letting you know.

Love,

Luhan

P.S. Baek wrote us a letter, too. He says he’s fine and he has a job and a place to stay, too.

Luhan dropped the letter in shock.

It wasn’t the old-fashioned mailing system that shocked him. Since they lived on the farm, there wouldn’t be an abundance of technology available.  He was used to that. What surprised him was the hidden meaning between the awkward, formal phrasing.

I’d have to follow Dad there with another change of your clothes.

Ji-eun was trading places with him.

And since when was there a family meeting day?

Luhan shook his head, and tried to focus on the more important problems. But this wasn’t supposed to be a problem. This was a way out for him. Ji-eun could swap with him and he’d be free. So why was he feeling so panicked? Was it because he’ll be leaving Se-

“Hey,” A soft voice called out from the doorway. Luhan looked up to find Luna leaning against his door frame. “You came back late.”

“I was out.” Luhan knew how that sounded. He didn’t find himself caring as much as he thought he would. “Why are you here?”

She held up an envelope similar to the one he received. “I got one, too.”

“My dad knows now,” was all Luhan could bring himself to say. He took off his wig and scrunched up his short locks. “Luna’s coming to switch.”

“This is easy, then. Write a list of the things that happened during your stay here and hand it to Ji-eun so she can study. When she arrives, I’ll cover for you and if anyone asks, you wanted to give her a tour of the castle.”

“What if something goes wrong?”

“What could possibly go wrong?” Luna narrowed her eyes, examining Luhan’s odd behaviour. He was supposed to be happy he’s leaving, not agitated. “Oh, you mean what if Sehun realizes Ji-eun’s not you?”

Luna knew she hit the nail on the head at Luhan’s lack of a response. Laughing, the girl waved the matter away. “Trust me, that boy has his head in his . I’d be more surprised if he was the last person in Korea to find out.”

“I’ll miss Jongin and Kyungsoo, too,” Luhan insisted, completely side-stepping the whole Sehun issue.

“What, do you not want to go back home? Do you like it here?”

“What if I said I did?” At Luna’s unamused stare, Luhan clarified, “I mean, it’s Seoul, for goodness’ sake. I wanted to live here ever since I was thirteen.”

“Is it the Prince or the city?”

Luhan froze. Luna continued to stare blankly at him. He broke the silence by bending down to pick up the letter. “Can’t it be both?”

“Stop answering in questions, oh my god,” Luna bit back, and Luhan could hear the annoyance crystal clear. “Do you actually like Sehun? Actually, don’t answer that. I don’t want to know the answer.”

“I’d rather not tell you either way.” Luhan shrugged.

That caused her to frown. Fanning herself with the letter, Luna said, “Fine. But you and I both know what you’re doing right now is stupid. Before, I was the one who didn’t want to leave. Now I’m the one who’s telling you that you’re going to regret staying.”