4. Yuto Jr.

Rival=Cupid

 

Chapter 4: Yuto Jr.

 

“Konnichihuahua Yuto~” Aki opened the door and greeted loudly. Someone startled by her action. 

“Eh!!? Yuto...no! you’re not Yuto..” Aki too, was startled because the person in front of him looks as if he was an isomer to Yuto, their face is very much alike, only that his size is smaller.

That person blinked few times, and asked Aki who she is. Just in time Yuto came out of bathroom.

“Ah, you came today Mariya? Meet my younger brother, Raiya. He’s been here since two days ago.”

“ This buzu* is Mariya?” Raiya said   (*buzu- ugly)

“Oi Raiya watch your words!” Yuto immediately said. Raiya could imagine Yuto glaring at him if his eyes were not covered by the bandage.

“I thought Dad said Mariya is a beauty, but she is not, she’s ugly!” Raiya said, and suddenly an apple hit his shoulder very hard.

“Ugly?!! Say that again! I’m not ugly!! I’m not ugly!” Aki shouted at him and widen her eyes staring at him. Raiya shocked and mad at the same time shouted back saying Aki is indeed ugly girl. Their quarrel lasts until Yuto decide to raised his voice in order to stop the two.

Both went silent after that. But still feeling angry toward each other.

“Raiya! You shouldn’t call anyone ugly, anyone at all.” Yuto seriously scolded Raiya.

“Mariya, please excuse my brother’s childishness. But it’s not good to throw food you know.” Yuto apologized to Aki at the same time pointed at her ridiculous action, since an apple fell on his lap when Aki attacking Raiya earlier. “

Both look down and apologized. Raiya then excused himself to buy things leaving Yuto and Aki alone. Yuto started telling Aki about Raiya. Apparently he stays at a friend’s house during his stay in Japan.

“ He is a bit spoilt, i hope you can forgive him.” Yuto said.

“It’s okay. I won’t hold any grudge, I was being childish too.” Aki said, returned to her calm self, “I thought he is living with your father now?” Aki was wondering why Raiya in in Japan since Yuto’s father is living abroad.

“He is, he come back to see me. It’s been very long since i see him, so my father deicde to let him leave school for few days to visit me here.” Yuto explained. Aki just nodded.

“Ah, here, i bought taiyaki for you. It’s famous in the neighbourhood.” Aki held out a taiyaki to Yuto.

“ Wow, thanks, I like taiyaki, but..urm.. this is too big for me, can i just share with you? Half of it?”

“Eh, i thought boys eat a lot.. no wonder you are so skinny..hahahaha” Aki laugh and cut off the fish shaped traditional confectionary, handed the head part to Yuto, and to herself, the tail.

‘Just like mama used to do.’ Yuto keep his thought for himself and enjoy the sweets he rarely had. Since his mother left, Yuto never bought taiyaki. It hurt him because it always reminded him to his mother. But he never know the feeling gradually gone. The taiyaki only gives him a sweet memories of his gentle mother.

For the rest of the afternoon, they exchanging stories about the missing 2 days. Yuto said that the doctor has decided on the date fot the surgery of his eyes. The surgery is difficult one. Quite risky, chances to recover is 50%, if failed, Yuto won’t be completely blind, but his sight will be very blurry. Aki was very happy to hear that Yuto will be able to see again. She keep on cheering up Yuto for his coming surgery.

It’s about time for Aki to go home. She need to catch up dinner with her parents. Her mom made it compulsory for their family to have dinner together. Unless there’s something really important, Aki, her mother, Haruko, and her father Masamune must present at family dinner everyday.

Aki excused herself. When riding her bicycle along the way, she passed by a bus stand not far from the hospital. She halt suddenly and take a second glance at a figure sitting quietly there. She approached that person and was confirmed that he is Raiya from his attire. ‘What is he doing here?’ She thought.

“Anoo..” Aki tried to call him. Raiya was holding his knees close to his chest and buried his face to his knees. He look up to Aki, but quickly look away nervously.

“Wh..what do you want?” He asked.

Aki swore she saw he was tear stricken, ‘he cried’ Aki thought, his eyes also look a bit red and puffy.

“Are you crying?” Aki asked.

“No! I’m not! Go away, don’t bother me.” Raiya shooed her away.

“No way, i won’t until you tell me what happen! Or i’ll tell your brother i see you crying.” Aki threatened him.

He went silent. After few seconds, he said , “Please, never let my brother know about this.”

His voice is slow, barely heard by Aki. Making her curiosity grew. She thought Raiya is just an emotionless spoilt brat. Looks like the first impression lasts, but not always right.

“Why are you here alone. Shouldn’t you go home or go to your brother by now?”

“I was visiting mother’s tomb. There..” he pointed to a road heading to a corner, from the corner, one can reach a cemetery within 5 minutes walking.

“I see. You must have missed her,yes?” Aki asked again. She can see that the boy in front of her is longing for his mother’s presence. He’s only 14 after all. Still very young. Aki was wondering when was his mother left him.

“ Yes, I missed her, I don’t want niichan to leave me like mama did!” He sounds angry, but at the same time sad. Aki can’t even think of a suitable reply when he continued.

“Never tell my brother about this.” Raiya warned Aki and turned to go away. Before he step away,

“I really love this, but i will share half with you, take this! She held out half of her taiyaki to Raiya, the tail part. Your brother will get well soon. Cheer up for him.” With a smile, Aki checked on her watch and hastily ride he bicycle while mumbling “Yabai yabai..”, not forgetting to shoved the other half of the her taiyaki into .

Raiya stared at Aki who are dissappearing at the corner. What Aki said and her confident gestures somehow lift up his heavy feeling. Without him realizing, his lips curved into a smile," just like mama always did” he muttered,  stared at the tail part of the taiyaki, and take a bite of it while walk away.

 

this is taiyaki 

 

-to be continue-

 

22 april 2014

Eh?!! very short aaa? I thought i already write quite a lot. huh~ i'll try my best on coming chapter.

Meet Raiya. I made him and his brother quite close, about 4 years. Raiya looks a lot similar to Yuto, soon he'll be tall as Yuto or might be taller. Sorry for making him a bit bratty and insensitive here. 

Comments are very much appreaciated. Please leave some and let me know your opinion on the story so far. I meant a lot to me. Thank you for your time. 

=) kuroneko