2. The Boy Who Can’t See

Rival=Cupid


Chapter 2: The Boy Who Can’t See

 

 

“Nakajima Yuto ne, broken leg, and blind.” Aki muttered.

 

Aki snapped to reality when the boy in front of her spoke, he just woke up. “Who is there?”

“ Ojamashimasu.. Good afternoon, I am... Ma..Mariya.” There’s a hesitation in her voice

“Ahh, Uncle Keizo’s daughter? Good afternoon. I already told him i’m okay, but he insisted sending you to help. I’m sorry for being a bother.” Yuto feels guilty.

“Ah, don’t mind it. It’s not like he’s forcing me or what.” Aki replied.

“Mariya, last time i saw you was..hmm..how many years ago. I can’t remember. But you were tall even as primary school kid. I bet  you are taller by now aren’t you?” Yuto making assumption.

Aki let out small chuckle to hide her nervousness. She stepped closer to Yuto and took a seat beside his bed. She saw a fruit basket on the desk.

“Would you like some strawberry Nakajima-san?” without answering his question earlier, Aki politely asked.

“ Just Yuto, urm.. i don’t really like strawberry..”

“ Apples?” Aki offered again.

“Sure!”

Yuto and Aki continued chit-chatting, and only stopped when Aki excused herself to go home by the evening.  Aki feel comfortable around Yuto even though it’s only their first meeting, because he is very friendly despite his condition. Aki was curious about what had happened to Yuto’s eyes. But she did not dare to ask yet.

***

Because of school, Aki only able to go to see Yuto after school. But she only go there 3 days a week on weekdays. Yuto insist that she should not come every day because that will tire her out and she need time to study as well. Even on weekend, Yuto forbid her to come on Sunday. But she was stubborn enough to make Yuto go easy on her and let her visit him on Sunday only until after lunch.

Aki feels very comfortable with her ‘job’. Visiting Yuto and assisting him sometimes has becoming something she anticipate to do every day. She feel refreshed, since it is a new experience to her.

 It was Saturday, she was fixing Yuto’s bed while he was eating at another corner of the room. While doing that, she asked Yuto.

“Ne, Yuto, which school do you go to? I never see anyone from your school visiting?”

“ Actually, I’ve yet to register to a new school when the accident happened. Now I don’t go to any school. I never tell anyone from my old school about this though.”

Aki stopped what she’s doing, and nodded. Somehow she can imagine how lonely Yuto was. No friends and family besides him when he is in this state.

“Hey, whaddup? Why you suddenly went silent?” Yuto broke the silence.

“Nothing. It’s just that, it reminded me to my old days.” Aki said, barely reached Yuto.

“ Huh?” Yuto want to know more, but decide to shrug it off.

“Let’s go outside! It’s not good to always trapped in the building. You need fresh air.” Aki suggested, but sounds more to commanding. Yuto agreed anyway.

 Aki help Yuto with his wheel chair and she pushed it all the way out. They headed to the garden. It was big enough for the patients to have a calm space with fresh air. The weather is very pleasant. It’s still spring. So there’s still many trees with flowers. Just outside the hospiital territory, there’s a line of Sakura trees. But unfortunately it is not in full bloom anymore. There are few flowers, but it’s about time for them to drop and died.

Aki was enjoying the scenery. “The weather is good ne.”  She said.

“Yeah, i can smell it.” Yuto replied casually.

It suddenly hit Aki that she was being insensitive. Yuto can’t see. His eyes were covered by bandage.

“ Err.. sorry. I forgot that you..” Aki said, feeling guilty.

“Eh, no no, you don’t need to apologize. It’s true that i can tell the weather just by smelling.” Yuto cheerfully comforting Aki.

“ ano..Yuto, do mind if i know what’s happen to your eyes?”

“ No at all, It cannot function well. The doctor said, i still have a chance to recover. But i need surgery and intensive care.” He explained

 

“ That means, you’ll get to see again right?” Aki beamed.

“Hopefully Mariya, I just don’t put my hope that high.” Somehow, Yuto’s mood getting weak.

“Yuto, I know you can. Be positive, let your body know how determined you are to get well. It will help. I believe so.” Aki encouraged him.

Yuto smiled and nodded. He cheered up with Aki’s words.

“Haaccchooo!” suddenly Yuto sneezed few times.

“Eh, is it cold here? I forgot to bring your sweater along, let’s go back to your room then.” Aki a little panicked, worried that Yuto getting a fever.

“No that’s not it. I just have allergies to pollens. But going back inside will be a good idea.”

Yuto cannot stay off guard during spring. He often caught with hay fever whenever he’s not being careful enough. Luckily it’s always just a light one.

 

-to be continue-

 

(16 april 2014)

Earlier than i thought i would post. I've prepared few chapters. But, since i decide to minimize my typo, and hope to reduce the weird english usage, i decide to re-read few times. If they are still there, and it is still bad. Please excuse my carelessness. m(_ _)m

Aki's background and her acquaintance is mostly from asadora Amachan. Did i ever mentioned that i love the series VERY MUCH? ok now i did. So the plot is actually relied on Amachan. I borrowed the character names, personality, and some of the incidence. 

Yuto and hay fever is real. I read a mag translation, he said that he prone to hay fever. 

Long author note. *sigh. I really appreciate if readers would spend sometime to write a comment. tq XD

:) kurochan