9. Awkward

Rival=Cupid

 

Chapter 9: Awkward 

 

As they  reached the diving spot, all the boatman halted the boats. There were more 8 boats involved for this Honki Dori. One of the boats belong to the tourism office as they tag along in this Honki Dori for documentation and to record the activities for promotional material. The place they're going to dive in covered a wide area since the partiipating Ama is almost 20 people. Once they stopped, Aki was excited. She can't help to jump right away, but Osanai-san made a quick reminder before she fall for her excitement, 

"Get ready Aki, put your gogle on first. Make sure to catch a lot today na!" Osanai-san feel responsible for Aki since she's her kouhai as Ama.

"Hai! I'll catch a lot!" Aki wears a big grin on her face as she responded. 

Of course or these she'll catch a lot, she want to compnesate for poor performance years ago. Her sempais gave her a tip to motivate her to catch a lot of uni when she started becoming an ama.

They said, " Look at the uni not as uni, but look at it as money. The more you catch, the more money will come to you.". It does motivate her. 

After make sure everything is ready, Aki get into the water and dive in. She slowly looking for the spot with high possibillity to find colonies of uni. There's a lot there, but she want to locate where the most are, so that she can grab 2-3 at one go. A challenge for Aki, usually the ocean current near the ocean floor. Ocean wave can be crazy, what happen at the surface will not portray the thing beneath. That's how diving can be hard and risky. Aki is not really good with that yet. But lucky for her, that day, the current was very light, calm, sometimes there are a little turbulance still.

She dive to the place where there are a lot of big rocks and kelps. That's her strategy from the starts anyway. She was right, she can see a lot of uni with desirable size on the rocks. She dive closer, and succeed getting 3 of the unis and secure them inside the net pouch attach to her waist. Aki let herself float up because she feels the need of oxygen. Catching her breath for few seconds, she return for more uni hunting. The activities last for 3 and half hours which included break time. 

Comparing her harvest with the older Amas, Aki 's surely get less than them. This time, she got 26 uni all together, but Osanai-san's was 37, way more than her. Even though she suppose to have more energy because she's the youngest, she still cannot match the skills of senior Amas. Some of them got more than Osanai-san's. With her splendid improvement from the last time she did, Stove-san can't help but shouting congratulation to her. She smiled genuinely at first but faded away once she noticed the other person with Stove-san. 

Yes, Nakajima Yuto, she had forgotten about hin once they reached the place. So she was very nervous seeing him again. 

But on the other hand, Yuto seems to be very calm.

 

***

Aki was visiting Isson, or Isono sensei, her high school teacher. Also the nambu diver trainer in the school. She was the only girl in her batch to enrolled in the nambu diver class instead of regular class. She thought that diving under water with heavy metal suit is very cool. Not to mention the crush to Taneichi sempai which strengthen her determination to be on of the nambu diver. 

She went straight to the practice place. Few students were still there having extra lesson to keep up with the graduation standard. She knew that Taneichi is there since he was serving the school as the young trainer. He was one of the best nambu diver the school had produced. Working with the contruction of base for new runway for Haneda airport but evetually come back to serve the school. Isson was very happy with his come back. He was complaining there are nobody to train new students because all of his students will just leave the school to work somewhere far. 

"Konnichiwa sempai! " Aki greeted with big grin.

"Ah, Amano. Now only you come to visit us?" Taneichi sounds provoking her, but then smiled. 

"Gomen sempai, i came back only few days before Honki Dori, i was busy preparing for it and Ama cafe." She explained her situation. She missed him, she missed nambu diver practice and even though it sounds weird, but she missed Isson too. 

" I see.. I heard you made a lot from the Honki Dori. Congratulation Amano!", Taneichi flashed his brightest smile while patting her head, the action makes Aki's heart beating faster.

"Th..thank you sempai. Err anyway, i didn't see Isson, where is he?". Aki quickly noticed of her teacher;s absence. 

Sounds of steps coming toward their practice room and Isson's voice saved Taneichi's an explanation. Seconds after Isson comes while speaking or rather, explaining something to his company. Aki turned around and found herself was caught in another awkward moment.

"Eh..AMANO!! AMANO KAAA...Since when you've been here?!" As always, Isson can't help but be a loud person. He sounds very excited which add more to his loudness. 

"Sensei.. how are you..?" was the only thing comes out from .

Without answering her, Isson quickly introduced the person that came with him. 

"You two, meet Nakajima Yuto-san, he's from Tokyo and is here to take photos of our activities for his project. 

"Hajimemae, pardon me for interrupting your activities." he bowed. Isson then introduced Taneichi and Aki to him. Only Aki feels the awkwardness. She excuse herself soon after. Yuto stays there for his work. 

Aki stroll around the town after leaving the school. After a while, she decide to go back home and went to the station to take the train. While waiting, she feels thirsty and about to buy a drink from the vending machine. Then someone called her.

"Amano Aki.." She quickly turned around and widen her eyes upon seeing the person.

"You are that Amano Aki right? The one i know a year ago when i was blind?" It was Yuto asking her.

Aki was speechless. thinking the right way to answer him. Then she comes up with a word. 

"Sorry!". With that, she decide to leave the place without buying any drinks. Taking place at one of the bench still waiting for the train, she clenched to her chest. Yuto let her away while keep staring at her.

"Here.." suddenly a can of juice were presented before her eyes, and it comes from the owner of that husky voice. She didn't take it. But stares at that person. 

" Thirty aren't you? " While shoving the juice to her. She took it and whispered. "Arigatou.."

 

this pic has not related to the story. just found it so warm. love the furry doggy. ^_^ 

-to be continue-

 

A/N: 12 June 2014. I am in Bandung now! Somehow feel like finishing a chapter with this nice study table in my room. It was cold when i reach the Hossein Sastranegara airport  earlier. We  supposed to board a car the hotel sent to fetch us. But i forgot about it and got us a cab to get here. Then the front desk staff asked me why i come with cab instead of their car. T_T 

I was reckless. Feel sorry for the person who was waiting for us. Sorry. 

Btw, Aki is still afraid of Yuto. I too wonder what awaits for them. 

Thanx for reading.