Five

The Sound of Winter

 

What is he doing with that girl?" a random girl whispered, catching Youngjae's attention. "That guy looks rich so I guess that girl's coping." Youngjae tightened his grip on Junhee as they walked past them, he could feel her shaking, maybe she's cold or angry.  She's angry, he confirmed it when Junhee stopped walking.

"Youngjae-ah, can you stay here for a while? I think I dropped something." Junhee said in a cheery voice before leaving Youngjae standing on the street side. But he was within earshot and he could hear her perfectly fine.

"Any problems?" the girl earlier asked in a sarcastic, mocking tone. 

"No, but I'd appreciate it if you keep your thoughts to yourself." Junhee said in a firm, stone cold voice, making Youngjae worry.

"What if I don't want to? And isn't that guy deaf? Are you afraid he'll realize that you're going out with him just to take adva-" the girl started but she was cut off by a loud smacking sound. Youngjae heard gasps so he made his way to Junhee, guiding himself as he called her name.

"Youngjae-ah," Junhee called worriedly, running to him. "Let's go."

The two of them walked a few steps before Junhee stopped again and turned to the shocked girls. "One more word about him and  I swear you'll wish you sliced your tongue off earlier." 

The road became longer and the atmosphere became awkward after their little scene. Hundred of thoughts rushed insides Youngjae's head. Happiness, excitement, confusion, shame. The fact that Junhee stood up for her made his hear flutter and at the same time he felt weak. He should be the one protecting her, but of course he couldn't. 

"Why did you do that?" Youngjae asked as they walked, breaking the silence. Junhee stopped walking, making Youngjae nervous, note to self, when Junhee stops walking, it's probably a bad thing.

"Of course I wouldn't let them say that. I don't care if they're saying that to me but if you're around, they'd see my other face." Junhee laughed bittterly at her last five words.

"Wait...you have two faces? Oh god now I'll imagine you looking like Janus." Youngjae exclaimed, making Junhee laugh. "I wish I could see you though." 

"You will." Junhee replied firmly. Youngjae's massive house was on sight when a voice roared behind them.

"Kang Junhee!"

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5F_6eTHPIKpRNrEVdz7D

 

Kang Junhee!" Zelo roared, riding his board to move faster to them. He could see the other guy that was standing with her and he was taken back. The guy held Junhee's arm as if he couldn't see without her, it was weirder than he could imagine.

"Ah, Zelo." Junhee muttered.  Youngjae looked at her and tilted his head as if asking who it was. "He's a friend...I think."

Zelo ran to her and grabbed her shoulders as he continued to pant as if he ran a mile. "I...I saw you slap that girl." he said. "Y...your hand was bleeding a while ago, did you cure it already?" 

"Why are you here?" Junhee asked calmly but her face says otherwise because she was giving Zelo the shut-up-or-I-will-skin-you-alive look. Zelo looked at Youngjae and waved his hands in front of him but Youngjae didn't react so Zelo figured it out. 

"Your hand is bleeding?" Youngjae asked, slightly in shock but he stared at nothing.

"No! Zelo is just over reacting because I slapped that girl pretty hard. Sorry." Junhee countered, glaring at Zelo when he grabbed her hand to check.  Seems like the other girl's earing grazed her palm badly because her hand is now swelling, making Zelo frown.

"Oh is that so? I'll see you around then." Zelo said cheerily before he walked and sat near the gates of Youngjae's house. He waved his hand to inform her that he'll be waiting.

Junhee scoffed and nodded. "Come on Youngjae-ah." she said gently, helping him enter the massive gates. One maid came out and bowed at her and Junhee nodded. "I'll see you after school okay?"

Zelo literally leaped when Junhee exited the house.

"What are you--" Junhee started but Junhong didn't bother letting her finish.He went up to her and grabbed her arm, wrapping it using the cloth he ripped from his outer shirt though he couldn't believe how some pointy earring could make a wound that size, it only meant Junhee slapped her that hard.

"Why didn't you try to treat this earlier?" Zelo asked, not looking at her since he's too focused on wrapping up the damn cloth on the damn wound. He was mainly pissed off because for some reason, he was sure that Junhee slapped that girl for a reason but he didn't bother asking. He knew it would make her feel uncomfortable.

Junhee bit her lower lip and stared at her hand. "Because if I say something Youngjae-ah will know."

Zelo nodded. "He matters that much to you?" 

"I...I think so." Junhee replied curtly. "I just don't want to...make him worry. He's going through a lot."

Zelo finished off with her hand and he dropped in gently. "C-can I walk you home?"

 

Junhee nodded at his offer, unable to keep a smile from her face.

 

 

 

"Why are you being so kind to me?"