Two

The Sound of Winter

 Is it better if I wear it this way?" Zelo asked, moving the cap back and forth.  He pouted and grabbed another cap on the rack before looking at Daehyun with an annoyed look. "You know, you could help me here, hyung."

"I could, but it's funnier to me if I didn't." Daehyun snorted as he sat down on the cushion near the stall. "And it wouldn't hurt if you could stop staring at that goddamn mirror while you test two caps that look exactly the same."

"Aigoo, are you on your red days, hyung?" Zelo giggled, taking the cap to the counter as he payed for it, noting that the cashier is pretty.  He walked past Daehyun who shook his head as he followed the young insect.

Most of the time, he just wants to smack the life out of Zelo, or Junhong as his mother calls him, but he always fail to hate him especially when Zelo goes around, pretending that he's happy. Well, he is, most of the time and Daehyun is a hundred percent sure that someone is experiencing worst situations than his bestfriend but he couldn't help but pity him. Zelo's mother died when he was born and since then, his father did nothing but force Zelo to join the army. Knowing Zelo, he would rather sleep on the streets than do something he doesn't want. Daehyun smiled at his peculiar train of thoughts.

"Yah. What are you smiling about?" Zelo snorted, crossing his arms. Daehyun raised a brow, making Zelo gulp. "....hyung."

"Much better." Daehyun laughed before dragging Zelo away from another hat store. 

 

"Hyung." Zelo called. Daehyun looked at him, signaling him to continue. "I have a favor to ask you. I know I always ask favors but this is between life and death."

Daehyun tilted his head "What is it?" 

"Can you lend me money? My skateboard broke." Zelo said the same serious tone. Daehyun groaned and smacked Zelo's head until Zelo grumbled and distanced. "I'm serious!"

"You. You just brought your skateboard to the repair shop a week ago!" Daehyun argued. "What? What happened? It broke again? The paint dissolved? The wheels were flat?"

"It was smashed into two." Zelo pouted. 

Daehyun let out a tired sigh, "Junhong-ah. Why not buy a new one? The repair costs as much as a new one! And if you buy they're giving out free girl group albums with the skateboard."

Zelo looked at him in shock. "Seriously hyung? Girl groups? No, I'm not buying a new one. Mom gave this to me before she left." he uttered before riding his way out of the block.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5F_6eTHPIKpRNrEVdz7D

 

Oh? Your grades are higher than normal." Junhee exclaimed as he sat beside Youngjae.

He sighed and scooted away from her. "I'm anything but normal, can't you see?" he hissed Youngjae was pissed, for some reason he couldn't figure out. Was it because she's pretending to be nice to him? Because he's blind, isn't it? The mere thought of it made his blood boil in irritation. "You. If my grades are that high then  suppose you don't have to work here right?" 

"What? Junhee muttered, taken aback with his words. "Youngjae-ah..."

"Don't talk like that!" he half-shouted. "Stop...stop talking to me as if you know me! A-as if you know what I'm going through because truth be told you only want the money my parents are giving you so you pretend to be all nice to me." 

Junhee clutched the papers in her hands too tight, that they crumpled and ripped into pieces. "Do you really think like that, Youngjae-ah?  Yes, I do need that money, my father's going to be kicked out of the hospital if I don't pay. MY mother's not in the proper state of mind, yes, I don't know how it feels to be blind but in terms of misfortune, we're about the same."

Youngjae kept his head down as he took everything in. Maybe she's....no, he convinced himself. No.

"Okay, if you want me to give you time for your pity parties, I will. Please tell your mother if you need any help." Junhee muttered, wiping stray tears from her face as she walked out of the house. 

"You." a voice called behind her. She wiped her tears and looked back. It was the guy from before, she sighed and faced him.

"What do you want?" she asked, unable to keep her voice from trembling.  

Zelo tilted his head and studied her face. "Are you crying?" 

"Great job, Einstein." she laughed dryly. "What do you want?" 

"Well, I was walking here then  I saw you and I was going to ask you or force you to repair my skateboard because you're the reason why it splitted into two." he continued. Junhee opened to shot back but Zelo continued to blabber around.

"But then, I saw you crying." he said, almost gently.

Junhee looked up at him "But then what?"

"I decided to not make you pay for the repair." he announced. "But you have to treat me some pizza."

Junhee laughed at his remark. "Why would I? You're a total stranger and I don't owe you anything." she replied, half laughing, half sassing.

Zelo looked at her with a confused expression before nodding.  

"Ice cream it is."