6

How to Save a Life

Dara: How is Jiyong doing, Bom unnie?

 

The sisters were their movie time at their house on a weekend.It has already been their ritual that once or twice a week, they'll spend time to be with each other and catch up. But when they found out about Dara's situation, they been spending most of their free times together.

 

Bom: He's doing good. Why did you stop visiting him by the way? THe boy kinda looked dazed most of the time. He seems so lost after that time you last visitied him. Did you do something again, tokki?

 

Bom asked and took another bite on her corn.She eyed her sister suspciously. Dara smiled and shook his head.

 

Dara:Ani. I didn't do anything to him, unnie. I just thoughtthat it would be best to stop bothering him and the boys. 

Bom: But they keep on asking me about you. Wel, the four idiots do. Jiyong seems so lost these days.(bit her corn) Boy, this corn is the best.

 

Her sisters laughed at her. She might be known as one of the best doctors in the world but when she is at home,she sure is very different from what the world had known about her.

 

Chaerin: You're so weird ,unnie.Anyway, Yah, Dara unnie, what's your schedlue next week? 

Dara:Waeyo?

Chaerin: Nothing. You were quite busy these past few days. Do you have a full packed schedule? You should rest you know. 

Dara: Aisht.I'm, fine ,Chaecat. I just need some disctraction.

Bom Chaerin, Minzy: Eh?Distraction?

Dara: Uh... Did I say distraction? I meant---

Minzy: OH c'mon ,unnie. Spill it out before we make you.

Dara: (sighed) Fine. I...I kinda told JIyong that I'm dying.

Bom, CL, Minzy: What?!!!

 

Dara: Trust me, I almost killed myself after telling him that. I jsut don;t get myself. The time I saw him, I felt a sudden connection to him. It's like he needed me and what 's weird is that he said he felt the same way when he saw me. 

Minzy: Omo! Maybe that's serendipity,unnie!

Dara:Please, don't be silly, Mingkki.It's far from that.

Bom: how will you explain it, then?You never had the chance to meet him before,didn't you?

Dara:Deh.

Chaerin: Oh my God! You're in love with THE G-Dragon!

Dara: Why are you exaggerating everything?

Bom: we're not exagerating anything,tokki.We are just telling you a fact. That's two different things.(chomp) (chomp)

Dara: Unnie, please don't speak. Just finish up your corn. You're mumblin stupid things when you open your mouth.

Bom: Yah!I'm older than you!Aisht!

 

The three younger siblings just laughed at her. When their laughter died down...

 

Minzy: But, seriously speaking,Dara unnie, do you have any feeling for him?

Dara: Aigoo. Minzy-ah. I don't have time for that. I can't afford to love anyone else right now and I can't spend my time to anyone else but my family. You know I only have a couple of-----

Chaerin :Don't say it,unnie. We don't want to hear it.

Bom: Dara-ah, you know we can still do something. Please go through the operation one last time. This could be the cure---

Dara:Unnie, please. We've talked about this a million times in the past and my answer will still be the same. I don't want us to be given false hopes again.

Minzy: Unnie, this is the last time.Please.

 

Dara smiled. She knows her sister loves her dearly.

 

Dara: Aigoo.I love the three of you. I'll think about it again. 

 

This made the three feel a little bit relief. They only want the best for their sister. They want her to still have the hopes to live a longer life and to fight for it. She may look like a tough one but she sure has already given up long before the fight is over.

 

------------------------------

At the Seoul Hospital, there was chaos on one of the suites. Four boys were like monkeys fighting over a game while another one just stared outside his window. This was whay Jiyong has been doing for the past week. Ever since he had that talk with Dara he was not himself. Why her? Why not me?He had questions. Doubts. For someone who does not deserve to live, he sure felt like he was the luckiest soul. Compared to him, Dara sure deserve to live longer.He tried to recall the things he's done in his past. And all he could remember was his shortcomings and the time he wasted with Kiko. After he had the talk with Dara, he already have foressen his funeral. No one ,except his family and these four idiots would come and visit him. It's a given that fans will  remember him and will surely mourn for his lost,but will he be rememebered as someone else more than the artist Kwon Jiyong? Would he leave good memories to everyone? Will he be rememebered as a good example?Will he be known as a good man?

 

He then recalled the conversation he had with Dara.

 

Jiyong: Wha---Why?

 


Jiyong was ever to finally say something after a few minutes of silence. 

 

Dara: Sickle Cell Disease. It's a type of anemia. I inherited it from my grandmother. It's very rare actually and it's not that serious.But it still can can cause death if I can't have a mtach for a bone marrow transplant. The doctors said not to worry about it because I still had chances of living but they always say that and I've been going through treatments but I still can't feel any changes. I have up. I still have a year or more to live. I really don't know anymore. I didn't bother to ask. For me, it's no lnoger important how much time I have. I just wanted to live the best of what's left. To make sure that my loved ones are happy and to make sure that they'll remember me with happy thought.s To teach them to let me go and to be remembered as someone who loved them with all the time that I had. I don't want to have regrets and I only want to leave happy memories with them.  Don't you want that,too?

 

Jiyong tried to understand her words. For him, the only thing that mattered was his happiness and his love for Kiko. Nothing more. 

 

Dara: You know what, Jiyong? It's never too late for you because you've been given another chance to change your life. Another chance to make things right. To be a better person. to do more great things. 

Jiyong: you gave that chance to me. 

Dara:Ani. I never did anything for you. I just did what a human should be doing to another. It's unhumane to leave you there.Ain't it? I know you'll be doing the same thing if I was in your shoes and you were in mine. Someone else greater than us gave you the chance to have that fresh start. And you have to grab it and take it because you deserve it.

Jiyong:And you don't deserve to have another shot with life?

 

Dara smiled sadly and looked at the kids playing.

 

Dara: I am given a chance but I choose to quit fighting. Everyone will end up dying.I just will go first than the others. I've lost the battle even before it started. I don't want to waste time eith treatments and given my family false hopes. I don't want them to see me suffer .I want them to see me strong and happy so they would remember me like that. 

Jiyong Why are quitting,Dara? Why ar teaching them to let go but you're telling me to live?

Dara: Because I can't defy death. Fate already decided for me and there's no way to go against it. But you, you beat death. You have another chance to be a better man.

Jioyng: How can I be a better man?

Dara: I don't have the answer to that. You do. 

 

 

A better man. He wants to be a better man and he knows Dara can help him become one.

-------

It was just an ordinary day for Dara. She was now on a photoshoot with Elle Korea. She was done with the first part of the shoot and was just waiting to be called again so she sShe was busily looking through the internet using her phone when her PA came in.

 

Yoori: Unnie,someone's looking for you.Shall I let him in?(smiling from ear to ear)

Dara:Eh? Why do you look like that? You look so giddy. What's wrong ,Yoori-ah?

 

Yoori just giggled.

 

Yoori: Ani. Shall I let him in?

Dara: Him?Who is he?

Yoori: He says no to tell you who he was.

DAra: And he expects me to let him in?

 

Yoori : Aigoo, unnie, relax a bit. I don't think he'll do something bad to you.

Dara: Aisht. Go ahead. Let him in.

Yoori: Deh, unnie.

 

Yoori went out while Dara continued to respond to tweets from her fans. She kept on giggling at the silly things that her fans were saying.

 

"It's nice to see you smiling like that. It makes you more beautiful than you already are."

 

Hearing another voice from the room, she turned around to face the person owning the voice. Dara was more than surprised seeing who it was.

 

Jiyong:Cat got your tongue?

 

Jiyong smirked and went closer to her ,handing her the iris flowers he had in his hands.Dara took the flowers and smiled after inhaling the fragrance of it.

 

Jiyong: I personally chose Irises for you. Do you know its named after the Greek goddess iris who was the goddess of the rainbow? This flower also symbolizes faith and hope,Dara.  I wanted to give you that.You gave me hope that things will still be better for me. And in return for all the things that you;ve done, I wanted to give you that, too. I know you've already given up, but maybe, just maybe, I can still be a part of the able to make you hope again and have faith. 

 

Dara felt tears falling from her eyes.

 

Jiyong: You've been going through too much and you;ve been carrying the pain all by yourself. I will never let you feel alone again. We'll go through this together.

 

Jiyong smiled at her while brushing the tears away from her cheeks.Dara never felt this kind of comfort before. She felt  like hope was built again.