Shopping

The story of us

Taekwoon sighed as he watched his boyfriend scan through rails after rails of bright and colorful clothing. His mind was drifting towards the piles of essays and compositions left sitting on his desk at home with due dates looming over his head. He had planned a day of study for himself, a day where he’d at least get two compositions finished and an essay completed yet here he was trapped in a mall with his enthusiastic boyfriend. He loved Hakyeon. Hakyeon was his muse, his moon and stars, everything good in his life that was filled with pressurizing parents and lectures. Hakyeon was a breath of fresh air and Taekwoon adored every little strange quirk that came with Hakyeon’s attractive personality. Yet he would never be able to handle the elders desire to spend hours upon hours in the stifling heat of crowded department stores. He’d never understand why Hakyeon could choose one shirt from another when they looked the exact same to Taekwoon. He’d never say that to Hakyeon though, not after the last time he’d commented on the likeness of two shirts he had been asked to help choose from. The glare he’d received from the smaller male had stuck in his mind for weeks. Taekwoon had learned to embrace all of Hakyeon, even his annoying shopping habits and indecision.
           ‘Hm, I don’t know which would look better’ Hakyeon sighed, worrying his bottom lip between his teeth softly as he eyed two pairs of jeans. Taekwoon ran a hand through his hair, content with staying silently on the side lines while Hakyeon debated over the denim jeans. ‘Light colors make my skin too golden and ugly but dark colors make me seem darker and I can’t be seen’ Hakyeon muttered under his breath. Taekwoon frowned at his boyfriend’s way of describing himself. He’d always hated how other made fun of Hakyeons skin or the way people would jokingly give him skin whiteners as birthday presents. Taekwoon adored the way Hakyeon’s skin glowed in the sun light, sun kissed skin as tempting as the red head himself. It matched his personality, bright and noticeable. Hakyeon never liked his skin, Taekwoon could see the way Hakyeon would frown upon catching a glimpse of himself in the mirror or a photograph that made his skin seem darker than the golden brown it was in reality. Hakyeon was tapping his chin with a finger, eyes filled with questions and doubts as he eyed the denim jeans. They would hug his shapely legs and bottom perfectly. They’d make heads turn when he wore them out but he also knew that color was import. If he didn’t choose the right tone or shade, people would stare and ridicule him. They’d point out the boy with dark skin, the one who looks like he was born under a strong ray of light. They’d for his flaw like they did in school. Hakyeon had been the victim of many cruel taunts and teases over the way his skin was a shade or two darker than the other children’s. Even now, in his final year of college, he still had people that’d bump into him because ‘you’re so dark that I thought you were a shadow’. 
              Hakyeon bit his lip, turning away from the jeans. He wanted them, he’d been saving for a new pair of jeans for weeks but he couldn’t buy them and know they’d be the reason he’d feel bad about himself. Hakyeon dressed to impress, but it wasn’t other people he wanted to impress. It was himself. He wanted to feel comfortable in his own skin, to adore the way his clothes made him look. He never bought anything that could cause others to judge him for the wrong reasons. ‘I thought you wanted those jeans?’ Taekwoon spoke softly, sliding his hand into Hakyeons. Hakyeon smiled softly, not meeting the others gaze as he pulled Taekwoon of to a rail of button down shirts. ‘Not really, they’re not the right type for my body figure. They’d make me look bad, plus they’re too expensive’ Hakyeon smiled brightly, squeezing Taekwoons hand before examine a white button down shirt. After the dress up party Hakyeon’s good button down had been deemed un-wearable thanks to the missing buttons and holes. Taekwoon frowned. Hakyeon had only come to this store because of those jeans. He knew Hakyeon had been waiting for a chance to treat himself to a new pair of jeans. The look of self doubt and hatred remained deep within Hakyeons eyes as he purchased a new shirt. Hakyeon smiled softly, already talking about a new dance album he’d ordered in at Premier Beats. Taekwoon nodded, listening to every word as Hakyeon dragged him to another shop, mind still on the words and look in his boyfriend’s eyes. 
                Hakyeon set his bags down on the bed. He sighed as he sat on the edge, massaging his wrist tiredly. He loved shopping but the weight of the bags and emptiness of his wallet always left him feeling a little bit down by the end of the day. He lay back on the soft material of the bed as he listened to Taekwoon singing softly along with the radio over the sizzling of their dinner. Hakyeon sighed, massaging his wrist as he sat back up. He couldn’t leave the clothes lying around in bags. Taekwoon would kill him for creating a mess if he didn’t put them away. Hakyeon hummed to himself as he worked, folding and placing clothes on hangers before putting them in their appropriate drawers. ‘Hakyeon’ Taekwoon called from the kitchen, the sounds of food sizzling and cooking gone. The sounds of plates and cups clinking as they were set on the coffee table altered him to the completion of their dinner. ‘I’ll be there n a second Taekwoon’ Hakyeon called back, smiling at the thoughts of getting to cuddle and enjoy a movie with a glass of wine and his beloved Taekwoon. Wine tended to make Taekwoon a lot more cuddly and flushed, allowing Hakyeon to get away with things Taekwoon would normally push away. 
           He reached for the last bag, smiling happily as he reached in to pull out the last item of clothing. Hakyeon frowned slightly at the sight of black denim skinny jeans. ‘Taekwoon I didn’t see you buy any jeans’ Hakyeon called. He heard footsteps coming down the hall as he inspects the jeans. He frowned when he saw the size, knowing they were perfect for him but much too small to fit on Taekwoon’s firm hips and muscular legs. ‘I didn’t buy them for me, I bought them for you’ Taekwoon spoke softly, wrapping his arms around Hakyeon as the other spluttered. ‘But…but why?  Told you didn’t want them so why would you buy them’ Hakyeon frowned, gazing back at the taller male. Taekwoon smiled, pressing a kiss to the others tan cheek, ‘Because I know you. You wanted those jeans but you were too insecure to actually allow yourself to buy them. I want you to see yourself the way I see you, beautiful no matter what you wear’. Hakyeon was at loss for words, a smile breaking out on his face as he placed his hands over Taekwoon’s on his waist. Taekwoon could read the thank you in the way Hakyeons fingers drew soft circles on his hands. He could sense the relief in his eyes as Hakyeon’s met his and their lips met in a sweet kiss. Taekwoon smiled into kiss, hugging him closer. Shopping with Hakyeon isn’t too bad, Taekwoon decided, when it ended with Hakyeon’s happiness and a sweet kiss.