Accident

The story of us

  Taekwoon didn’t know how it happened, one minute he was shouting at Wonshik, arms frantically gesturing at the position he wanted him to take on the field and the next he was on the ground with Hongbin’s worried face looming in his vision, blocking out the sun as Taekwoon’s head pounded. Hongbin held his shoulders, gently pulling him into an upright position. ‘What happen-‘ Taekwoon began before he broke off into a pained whimper, hand clutching at his leg. Taekwoon hissed, glancing at his leg that felt like it was on fire. His ankle was twisted in an awkward position, every attempt to move sending shockwaves of pain up his leg. ‘Oh my god Hyung, we need to get you to a hospital’ Hongbin panicked, eyes wide and pricking with tears. Taekwoon felt guilt bubbling in his chest at the younger boys’ distress as he waved off the small crowd that had gathered around them. ‘What did happen?’ Taekwoon managed to get out between hisses of pain. ‘We clashed when you went to kick the ball. You landed awkwardly and smashed your head off the ground. You out for a minute, and you’ve got some blood in your hair from hitting the rock’ one of the younger members admitted, eyes on the ground.

            Taekwoon gazed at him gently. The kid was a gangly first year he’d seen around before. Taekwoon had spotted him awkwardly navigating hallways and stumbling over words, the boy had transferred in the middle of the year Hongbin had told him, he was wary of others. ‘It’s okay. Its Sanghyuk isn’t it? It could have happened anyone. I’m not mad’ Taekwoon gave the teenager a soft smile as relief crossed the young boys face. Hongbin stopped fretting for a moment, hand reaching into his pockets to grab his phone. ‘Hyung, you know I should ring Hakyeon right?’ Hongbin bit his lip, mind already conjuring the worry and lectures that would follow the footsteps of a distraught Cha Hakyeon. Taekwoon groaned, burying his head in his hands. Hakyeon was overprotective at the best of times, always fretting about his friends like a mother and its ducklings. He could only imagine how he’d take the news of Taekwoon, his boyfriend, ending up in hospital. ‘Wait until I’m at the hospital before you freak him out’ Taekwoon responded, wincing as he tried to shift his leg. He sighed, shaking his head to numb the pain as Wonshik made his way back towards them followed by the college nurse. ‘The ambulance will be here in a few minutes, will I go get Hyung?’ Wonshik asked, panting as he sopped beside his fallen Hyung. Hongbin snickered, ‘We had this conversation, he wants to wait to tell Hakyeon Hyung’. Wonshik took a step back, arms in the air as he grinned at Taekwoon, ‘It’s your funeral Hyung’.

                                                                                *

                    Hakyeon was laughing, his voice filling the room as Minhyuk tossed him a bottle of water, trying to shut him up. They had the practice room to themselves, a rare opportunity in their college. ‘You could in Italy right now’ Minhyuk sighed, breaking the happy atmosphere. Hakyeon shook his head, fiddling with the cap of his water. ‘I wouldn’t have made it Min, drop it’. Minhyuk ran a hand through his sweaty hair, glancing at the elder, ‘Hakyeon, you were chosen. You were better. I don’t understand why you didn’t ta-‘Minhyuk was cut off as Hakyeon threw the bottle at his feet. Hakyeon’s face was dark with anger, cheeks burning under the usual golden colour. ‘I said drop it. I said no, there was no going back. I’m happy here Minhyuk. Let’s leave it at that’ Hakyeon gave him a tight smile. Minhyuk wanted to press, wanted to dig more into his friends reason but Hakyeon’s phone began to ringing, a soft melody floating into the silent room.

          ‘Hello? Wonshik, what’s up?’ Hakyeon asked, holding the phone between his shoulders at his ear, packing his bag. Wonshik’s words were soft but it was as if someone had thrown an ice cold bucket of water over Hakyeon’s head. It washed over him, making him gasp as his hands froze. He could feel them shaking, ‘What hospital?’ Hakyeon shoved his jumper into the bag, zipping it up and slinging it over his shoulder. ‘I’ll be there in about fifteen minutes, is he in surgery?’ ‘Yeah, he needed the bones to be put back into place, he went in about ten minute ago, I’ll be waiting at the entrance’ Wonshik spoke gently, hearing the waver on Hakyeon’s words. Hakyeon hung up, stuffing his phone back into his pocket. ‘Hakyeon, what’s going on?’ Minhyuk stepped forward, attempting to steady his pale friend. Hakyeon shook him off, ‘Taekwoon had an accident. He fractured his ankle and is in surgery, can you give me a lift to the hospital?’ Minhyuk took one look at the way his fearless friends hands were trembling and the way he was biting his lip, tearing the skin. Minhyuk nodded, guiding Hakyeon through the hallways towards his car with a hand on his back.

                                                                                *

                    Heavy. Heavy was the first thing that came into his mind as light pierced his eyes, that and the sound of a machine beeping in his ears. He wanted to blink, to open his eyes but his muscles didn’t move. They were too relaxed, slow and unresponsive. So he waited as the sense came back to him slowly. His fingers twitched against something warm, Taekwoon’s mind registering that there was something holding that hand, that there were fingers neatly tucked against and between his own. A whine, soft and cute pierced his ears followed by a quiet chuckle. Did that sound come from him? Taekwoon couldn’t tell, he was too tired, too disgruntled from waking up. His mind was rearing, gears turning in his head as if he were a well-oiled machine yet his eyes would not function. ‘Taekwoonie, sleep. It’s okay baby, rest’ a silvery voice advised him. Taekwoon hummed, leaning towards the voice, smiling as a word slipped from his sleep heavy lips. ‘angel’ he smiled briefly, hand tightening around the one in his own before sleep dragged him back to the bottom of it’s dark pits.

                                                                                *

              ‘Hakyeonnie?’ Taekwoon’s confused voice jostled Hakyeon from his light sleep. Hakyeon blinked, raising his head from where it had been cradled in his arms on the bed, hand still holding Taekwoon’s. Hongbin, Wonshik and Jaehwan were sitting on the opposite side of the bed, arguing about the last celebrity scandal playing on the small hospital television. ‘Hey Woonie, how are you feeling?’ Hakyeon’s voice was hoarse, eyes blinking adorably at Taekwoon. Taekwoon smiled, turning his head towards Hakyeon, running a thumb along the others hand reassuringly. ‘Better now that your here’ he replied, the tips of his ears turning and adorable shade of red. Hakyeon wanted to pinch his cheeks with the cute sight but retained himself reminding himself that Taekwoon was hurt. ‘Are you sure you’re okay? It’s a bad break Woonie, are you in pain? Should I call the nurse?’ Hakyeon rambled, eyes not meeting Taekwoon’s. Taekwoon chuckled softly at the sight of his boyfriend fretting over him. ‘Baby, I’m fine. Did I scare you?’ Taekwoon’s sotto voice reached Hakyeon’s ears through his mutters. Hakyeon glared at him, raising a hand threateningly but the other knew by the relief in his eyes, the adoration piercing the fear that his boyfriend wouldn’t even have the strength to hit him playfully as usual.

     ‘Scared? He nearly went into cardiac arrest in the hallway. The nurse wanted to know if they should sedate him!’ Jaehwan cackled, re-enacting what was meant to be a frantic Hakyeon sobbing over Taekwoon. Hakyeon flung his jacket across the room, hitting Jaehwan square in the face and causing the other to let out an embarrassing squawk of surprise. This prompted a soft giggle from Taekwoon and boisterous laughter from Hongbin as Jaehwan’s hands flailed and Wonshik stared at his boyfriend in disbelief. Taekwoon laughed with his friends, playing with Hakyeon’s fingers as the other glared at Jaehwan. ‘Hey, I love you’ Taekwoon muttered, turning his head to gaze at their hands in embarrassment. Hakyeon leaned over, pressing his warm lips to Taekwoon’s smooth forehead, ‘I love you too. Please don’t frighten me like this again’. Taekwoon nodded, tugging at their hands until Hakyeon lay beside him. ‘Hongbin, move my legs gently please’ Taekwoon called, eyes on Hakyeon. He contained his wince as hongbin’s hands moved his leg as gently as he could, brushing his nose of Hakyeon’s. Hakyeon’s eyes averted his gaze, his free hand fanning his cheeks. Taekwoon kissed his lips gently before Hakyeon’s head settled against his shoulder, their hands joined on top of Taekwoon’s stomach as the room filled with the laughter of their friends.