Animal Ears

The story of us

   ‘Please Taekwoonie, it’s for the children. Think of the adorable smiles on their faces Taekwoonie’ Hakyeon pleaded, hand tugging at the sleeve of Taekwoon’s black knit jumper. Taekwoon was staring at the other blankly, eyes blinking every few seconds as he tried to process what his boyfriend was asking of him. Hakyeon was standing in front of him, dressed formally in a crisp white button down and black jeans.   Earlier that day Hakyeon had been a trembling mess in Taekwoons car as he drove the hour home. It would be the first time Hakyeon would be introduced to his family as something other than the quiet male’s best friend. Taekwoon had driven the whole way with a hand on the others thigh and a small smile on his face as Hakyeon stumbled and fumbled over words. He knew the other was afraid that Taekwoon’s parents would reject the relationship, Taekwoon had never really shown interest in anyone over the last few years and he feared the older couple would be uncomfortable or even spiteful towards him. Taekwoon didn’t have the heart to tell Hakyeon that they already knew that his mother used to called every week and ask if her son had finally bagged her son-in-law yet. The look of surprise and disbelief as Taekwoons mother pulled him into a hug and announced to the house filled with Taekwoon’s sisters, their husbands and children that her newest son-in-law had arrived. The adorable red blush on Hakyeon’s cheeks had been more than enough to make Taekwoon’s own tense features melt into a gentle smile that had his sisters cooing and pinching his cheeks.

                      But now, now Hakyeon stood in front of him. His neatly tousled hair was a mess from the amount of children’s hands that had been tugging at it throughout the last hour. In his hands were two head bands, one with white rabbit ears stemming out of the band, one of the crooked slightly. The other was black with two fluffy cat ears on top; those were the ones that Hakyeon held out towards the other. Taekwoon stared in disbelief. The chatter coming from downstairs seeped up towards them, reminding Taekwoon that as much as he wanted to convince Hakyeon to watch a horror film just so he could hold the other close, his family were down stairs and Hakyeon had been sold to his nieces and nephews. Hakyeon had just a big of a soft spot for children as Taekwoon did. He knew deep down Hakyeon was aching under all his smiles and laughter. Taekwoon knew he desperately wanted to be at home, to be sat on the floor with his teenage brother and his two sisters, surrounded by his nieces and nephews. He could see it in the way Hakyeon cradled his youngest niece, the one that shared a similar age with Hakyeons own niece. Hakyeon had jumped at the chance to take the children trick-or-treating. To him the idea of wandering the cold streets of Taekwoons neighborhood with a flock of five year olds seemed to be appealing. Taekwoon had tried to talk the other out of it, even bribed him with kisses and warm hands that promised more if he stayed in out of the cold but he had been no match for Hakyeons determination or the big brown eyes that had gazed at him.

          It was the same brown eyes that had Taekwoon perching at the edge of his bed with hands grasping Hakyeons hips as the other secured the black hair band in his hair with some hairclips stolen from his mother’s room. Taekwoon was pouting softly as he gazed at the other. Hakyeon was chuckling, slim finger flattening stray bits of hair. ‘Are you sure we have to do this?’ Taekwoon asked, worrying his lip between his teeth gently. Hakyeon kissed his forehead softly, dropping to his knees with a black eyeliner pencil courtesy of the youngest of his older sisters. Hakyeon carefully drew three straight black lines on each of the others puffy cheeks, soothing his insecurity with gentle kisses after each one before finally giving Taekwoon a proper kiss as he finished the last whisker. Taekwoon cupped the back of his neck gently, trying to waste time by losing himself in Hakyeons lips. ‘After the children are stated with candy and your sisters leave so they can’t tease you, I promise that you and me will lock ourselves away in here for the night. I’m sure you parents won’t mind, they know you need your privacy’ Hakyeon whispered against the others lips. Taekwoon nodded, smiling back at the other, feeling reassured by the simply warm presence that was Hakyeon. Hakyeon smiled, pressing a kiss to Taekwoon’s nose before standing, offering his hand to the younger. Taekwoon stood, admiring how cute Hakyeon looked with kiss swollen lips, pink dusted cheeks and a pair of white rabbit ears perched on his head.

          ‘Oh Taekwoonie is so ugly!’ the youngest of Taekwoon’s elder sisters exclaimed, giggling as she pointed at them. Taekwoon rolled his eyes, ever since he’d turn eighteen his sisters had deemed him ugly and uncharming. ‘How did you ever get such a cute boyfriend?’  the eldest smiled, her sleepy newborn cradled to her chest. Taekwoon glared, eyes softening at the feeling of Hakyeons fingers squeezing his. ‘I think Taekwoon is very charming. In fact, he’s way too good for me’ Hakyeon smiled confidently, looking at Taekwoon with a gentleness that made his sisters hearts melt and their taunts die on their lips. Taekwoon leant forward, placing a kiss on the others temple, earning a few ew’s from his nieces and nephews who giggled at their feet in a mixture of princess and monster costumes. ‘Yeonie! Yeonie take us twick or tweeting, yes’ Daewon giggled, waddling over in his pumpkin costumes, ting arms reaching for Hakyeon. Hakyeon laughed, immediately detangling from Taekwoon and picking up the three year old. ‘Of course I will sweetie. Let’s get going Taek’ Hakyeon giggled, letting the child in his arms play with his cheeks and hair. Taekwoon knew he wouldn’t resist, because even if it meant wearing degrading hair bands, he knew he’d follow Hakyeon any where