On a Date

The story of us

               Hakyeon chewed on his lip nervously, glancing in the mirror for the billionth time that hour. Jaehwan lay across his bed; phone held above his face, throwing worried looks at his distressed friend between sending cute texts to his boyfriend who’d been exiled. Hakyeon was a shaking mess, making Jaehwan chuckle at just how cute the elder was. ‘Hakyeon, it’s just Taekwoon hyung, you’ve known him for what? Five years? Calm down’ Jaehwan rolled onto his stomach, staring in amusement at the elder. Hakyeon looked gorgeous Jaehwan couldn’t deny how attractive his friend looked right now. Hakyeon was wearing a simple plain white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows; the shirt was fitted to show his slender frame, accenting his curves nicely. He wore tight black jeans that Jaehwan knew would drive any guy or girl mad as it clung to Hakyeon’s subtly muscular thighs and . ‘Exactly, it’s Taekwoon, Jaehwan. Not just some cute guy but Jung Taekwoon. If I look bad it’s over, he’ll move out of the apartment and never speak to me again. Then I’ll become depressed because I’ll never have true love and I’ll end up with fifty cats all named Leo because they’ll remind me of him. I’ll never make it as a dancer and then I’ll become the fat old guy that your kids will never want to be around’ Hakyeon blabbed, mouth moving a mile a minute as his pacing increased. Jaehwan resisted the urge to jump up and strange the other, choosing to release his frustration on the innocent pillow by his head and promptly screaming into it. It was going to be another long hour until he could kick Hakyeon out of his apartment.

                 Taekwoon chewed on his lip, the wind blowing his fringe into his eyes every few seconds as he shifted from foot to foot. He was nervous; every nerve in his body was on high alert and racing inside of him as the little black hands of his watch slowly made their way down to eight o’clock. Taekwoon’s palms were sweaty with nervousness as he rubbed them against the rough material of his dark jeans. He pulled at the hem of his grey sweater, hoping that Hakyeon would like the simple yet dressy feeling it gave off. Taekwoon lost himself in his thoughts and fears, wondering if everything would go the way it was meant too or would it go awfully. He couldn’t bare the idea of it going wrong, of losing his chance with Hakyeon for ever. He blanked out, unaware of his surroundings. Hakyeon smiled as he watched the other zone out, losing himself in his own world like he did most days. Hakyeon took the chance, creeping up behind the taller male. Hakyeon pressed his slender frame against the others broad back, hands covering the others eyes. ‘Guess who’ Hakyeon used a high pitched voice. Taekwoon smiled, letting out a soft chuckle as his own hand went to cover one of the others, linking their fingers. ‘My Yeonie’ he spoke softly, removing their hands to turn and look at the slightly shorter male. Hakyeon’s cheeks flushed an adorable pink at the use of ‘My Yeonie’. Taekwoon ran his thumb over Hakyeon’s knuckle, smiling at the other before tugging at his hand to start walking. Taekwoon watched the other out of the corner of his eye. Taekwoon bit the inside of his cheek, leaning close to Hakyeon’s ear, enjoying the way the other jumped slightly from the close proximity. ‘You look gorgeous tonight ‘Taekwoon murmured softly, placing a kiss on the others sun kissed cheek.

                  Hakyeon whined softly, raising a hand to cover his face as Taekwoon swung their joint hands as they strolled. Taekwoon chuckled at the uncharacteristic shyness that had Hakyeon a constant shade of pink when Taekwoon would catch him glancing at him. ‘It’s just me Yeonie’ Taekwoon smiled, glancing at the squirming male beside him as they entered the park. Hakyeon scoffed, ‘That’s what everyone say but it’s not just you. You and that gorgeous face, beautiful voice and gentle manner. It’s the amazing you taking the not so amazing me out on a date’. Taekwoon rolled his eyes, ‘You are more amazing then you think’. Hakyeon refused to answer, instead turning his eyes to the pathway of trees before them. He had no idea where Taekwoon was taking him or what the slightly younger male had planned; to say the elder was curious was beyond a statement. He watched as the pathway, dark and sheltered by the canopy of leaves overhead, began to brighten softly with the soft glow of fairy lights tangled in the trees and bushes. Hakyeon felt his mouth open slightly as he gazed up to look at the beauty of the leaves and tress before him. They followed the pathway, Taekwoon keeping a steady pace in order to let the other enjoy the view. Hakyeon had moved from Changwon during his second last year of High school, only to meet the newly transferred football star Taekwoon during their last. He’d always complained of never having the time to view the wonders of Seoul. Taekwoon had grown up around these attractions, knew the city like his own soul. Hakyeon had always been busy either with studying, extra credits or training abroad during the summer to leave Taekwoon to view these on his own like he did every year. The look on Hakyeons face made Taekwoon’s stomach do somersault, he had the innocent look of a child being exposed to the beauty of nature for the first time. Hakyeon smiled, taking in the view. Lights were strewn and woven through branches, some of them forming shapes and moving figures on the branches.

                    Hakyeon let go of Taekwoon’s hand, laughing softly as he the spot slowly, taking in everything around him. Hakyeon’s spinning stopped when arms wound around his waist, pulling him against a strong chest. Hakyeon smiled, leaning back into the other, letting the warmth wash over him. Taekwoon rested his head on Hakyeon’s shoulder, loving the way Hakyeon’s hands held his biceps softly, thumbs rubbing gentle circles through the fabric of his jumper. ‘Thank you, its beautiful Taek’ Hakyeon whispered softly as other strolled around them. Couple stopped to kiss or just hold each other like they were as they took in the beauty. ‘You always complained about never seeing the beauty of Seoul, I’m glad you like it but this isn’t the best part’ Taekwoon murmured softly, swaying them from side to side. Hakyeon smiled, leaning his head back on Taekwoon’s shoulder as the other raised his head to look at him, ‘Show me then’. Taekwoon nodded, detangling their embrace reluctantly as he took Hakyeons hand once again and began walking. Hakyeon let the silence envelope them comfortably, the feeling of Taekwoon’s palm against his own. The path spread out into a clearing filled with laughing people and the soft sounds of music. Couples were seated on a row of downward sloping stone steps that face the center of the clearing. Taekwoon pulled Hakyeon over to the darker side of the stone steps, telling him to wait a few seconds as he made his way to the center of the clearing. Hakyeon drummed his fingers against his thigh, shivering with the cold, wishing he’d brought a jacket with him. A jacket was placed around his shoulders just as he’d stared rubbing his arms through the thin material of his shirt. Hakyeon hugged it closer, the worn leather familiar as Taekwoon smiled down at him softly. Hakyeon smiled gratefully as the other handed him a warm paper cup. ‘Hot chocolate with no cream but small marshmallows’ Taekwoon recited knowingly, nudging Hakyeon’s shoulder with his own. Hakyeon chuckled, taking a sip of the warm beverage, ‘You know me too well Jung Taekwoon’. Taekwoon smiled into his own drink, free arm wrapping around Hakyeons’ waist to pull him closer. Hakyeon nudged his head into the crook of Taekwoons neck, letting the other run his hand along Hakyeon’s side as they waited. Taekwoon smiled knowingly as Hakyeon jumped at the noise of the fireworks being launched. The look on the elders face was something Taekwoon would etch into his memory for eternity. The way Hakyeon eyes lit up as the sky bloomed with color, the way his red hair fell gently over his forehead, the way his slender body pressed closer to his won when the fireworks exploded to form lover hearts in the sky, Taekwoon rested his head on the others, a smile present on his lips even as they made their way home and fell asleep to Hakyeon’s favorite movie on the couch. It was a date neither would forget and the start of a life time of dates ahead of them.