Holding Hands

The story of us

           Hakyeon was bouncing, his stomach churning. He could feel a light sweat breaking out over his skin and he hadn’t even approached the stage yet, he was simply watching from the sidelines. The noise of the crowd, the constant hum of people chattering and laughing was sending nervous shakes throughout his body. Anybody would think it was his first performance that he was newbie to the world of bright lights and countless eyes watching him but that was far from the truth. Hakyeon was more than used to the lights, the glamour, the tight costumes, to gliding and spinning across the stage, body moving fluidly with the music, never missing a beat, but tonight was different. Tonight Hakyeon would perform sole, be in the spot light, thousands of eyes following his every move, some of them waiting for him to make a mistake that they could critic in the newspapers. He was tempted to run, to hide in the bathroom as the fear gripped his body. His understudy, a stuck up elder dancer that hated him, would be more than happy to steal the lime light, to sore with the crowds while Hakyeon coward away from it. But the competitive part of Hakyeon refused to allow himself to back down, whispering soft encouragements that were drowned out by the negative voices in the back of his mind. ‘You seen dancers make the wrong moves, watched their bones shatter when landing awkwardly, career ruined forever, do you really want to risk that?’ ‘Why not stay in the background, dance the safest moves, let the others take the risk, you’ve barely made a name for yourself, you’re so young. Don’t waste it before you’ve had a proper chance to shine’.

           Hands pressed down on his shoulders, making him yelp. Hakyeon shook, struggling as the hands pressed him into a stand still despite all his best efforts to free himself. ‘If…I-if you’re going to k-kill me then please do it q-quickly so I don’t h-have to go on s-stage’ Hakyeon stuttered, shutting his eyes, waiting for whatever evil force that had crept up from the dark edges of hell to kill him. ‘It’s me’ came a soft voice as the hands slid from his shoulders to run down his arms in a familiar gesture. Hakyeon took a deep breath, letting the soft fingers that drummed against his wrist. The sound of Taekwoon’s soft breathing, the way the little puffs of hairs disturbed Hakyeon’s perfectly styled hair was a soothing gesture, a grounding one that Hakyeon needed right now. ‘I can’t do this Taekwoon, I really can’t. I’ll fall, I’ll miss a step, I’ll get booed’ Hakyeon stuttered, fingers grasping at the soft knit material of Taekwoons blue jumper. An arm dropped to wind around the smaller male’s slim waist. Taekwoon could see muscle and bone; feel the knots of Hakyeon’s spine through the clingy black leotard that hugged him perfectly. Hakyeon was trembling in his arms like a frighten kitten, making Taekwoon’s heart break. Here was the strongest, loudest person he knew and he was reduced to a bundle of shaking nerves in his arms, breathing labored as the chatter filtered in from all around.

                         Taekwoon ran a hand over his back softly, massaging the tension out of his shoulders as best as he could. He tucked Hakyeon’s head under his chin, letting the other breathe easier with the familiarity of Taekwoons scent. ‘I can’t go out there; I’m not good enough to do this’ Hakyeon whispered softly, words tickling Taekwoon’s neck as he spoke. Taekwoon sighed, not out of annoyance but out of frustration. Hakyeon was beyond talented, a born dancer, Taekwoon had yet to meet a performer more graceful and gifted as the man in his arms. ‘You can do it Hakyeon; you are more than gifted enough for this. Stop being an idiot’ Taekwoon smiled slightly, nuzzling the elder’s hairspray stiffened locks. Hakyeon shook his head. Taekwoon didn’t need to see his best friends face to know that Hakyeon’s pink lips were pushed out in an angry pout. Taekwoon hummed deep in his throat, a sound Hakyeon was always frustrated by even after all these years of silent conversations with the other male. ‘I’m scared Taek, I’m really scared’ Hakyeon admitted, chasing away all the stupid thought s and doubt s in his head, zoning in on the true reason he was shaking and hiding. ‘I know’ Taekwoon stated simply, his hand that wasn’t holding Hakyeon slid down the others arm until it reached his hand.

          Hakyeon jumped slightly, hissing at the ache of Taekwoon’s chin jabbing into the top of his head when a warm palm pressed against his own, slim fingers slipping in between his own. The contrast between slim piano fingers and his own shorter slender ones stunned Hakyeon for a few seconds. The thing that surprised him the most thought was the differences or the fact Taekwoon initiated skin ship willing but how perfectly their hands fit together. There were no mismatched fingers or gaping spaces between them, every inch of their hands were pressed together. ‘Taek….’ Hakyeon started but was cut off by Taekwoon pulling back to raise their clasped hands softly. ‘As long as I am here you don’t have to be scared okay? The crowd is intimidating, I know it’s but when I was scared of singing live you were there. You were there in the front row smiling at me. I may not be smiling but I’ll be there in the front row, if I can get through it by focusing on your face you can do it by focusing on mine. You don’t have to be afraid when I’m holding your hand, I promise?’ Taekwoon’s voice was soft and quiet but filled Hakyeon with more warmth and confidence than anyone else could have. He squeezed Taekwoon’s hand softly, smiling to show the effect of the others words. Taekwoon nodded, seeming pleased with him as ran his thumb over Hakyeons knuckles. Hakyeon closed his eyes, revealing in the closeness, the warmth of the other. Taekwoon reluctantly detangled his hand and himself from Hakyeon when the other dancers started to spill into the back of stage. ‘Yeon, I have to go now’ Taekwoon said softly. Hakyeon’s eyes flew open, the fear reappearing slightly, not as intensely before. Taekwoon grabbed both his hands, placing a small peck on the back of each before straightening up. ‘Front row, middle seat, eyes on me and I promise you’ll be amazing tonight and blow them away’ Taekwoon whispered. Hakyeon nodded, taking a deep breath, ‘Front row, okay, I can do this, I can. You’ll be there to hold my hand afterwards when I’m an emotional and tired wreck, won’t you?’ Taekwoon left out a soft chuckle, one only Hakyeon could hear, ‘I promise’