Paraesthesia

Thirty Symptoms of Withdrawal

"How about this one?" Jessica tossed another top onto the pile that Haruki was already carrying and the detective struggled to catch it.

"Jessica, why do I need all these clothes?" Haruki protested. "What's wrong with the ones I already have?"

Jessica rolled her eyes. "Oh, don't even get me started."

"I thought you said the tailored look worked for me." The detective shifted the pile of clothes and ended up dropping something that Jessica had called a shell.

"The tailored look, yes," Jessica replied. "What you have is a very loose interpretation of that term. Your blouses are all wrinkled, none of your pants fit, and you don't even have any matching shoes."

Haruki glanced down at the pants she was currently wearing. "These fit fine."

"Yeah, in a flood, maybe. They're at least two inches short," Jessica retorted. "Also, you can't tell, but they hug your in a bad way."

As they passed a mirror, Haruki stopped and turned self-consciously, studying her reflection. She didn't see it. Sure, there were a couple loose threads hanging from the seams and one button had been haphazardly sewn back on, but no one besides her friend would notice these things.

"And besides, you need at least a few outfits for going out," Jessica said. "Outfits that wouldn't embarrass me when we're seen together."

"Am I really that bad?" Haruki protested.

"Darling, you showed up to a fashion event at my job wearing a jacket with holes in the pockets, pants that didn't reach your ankles, and sneakers." Jessica raised an eyebrow. "Speaking of which, who wears sneakers with a suit anyway?"

"They're not-" 

"Oh! This is perfect!" Jessica grabbed a sequined sweater and shooed Haruki towards the changing room, throwing the top in after her.

Haruki rummaged through the pile and sorted them approximately into tops and bottoms. "Why are all of these pants black?" she asked. 

"They're not all black," Jessica snapped. "One of them is dark charcoal."

"Which one?"

"It doesn't matter. They'll go with anything," Jessica replied. "Even you can't mess up matching them then."

It would have been insulting if it weren't completely accurate.

Haruki pulled off the button-down shirt she was wearing and replaced it with a soft short-sleeved sweater. Big mistake.What appeared to be soft, woolly fabric, was incredibly itchy against her skin.

Jessica rapped on the door impatiently. "Okay! Let's see it!"

Haruki opened the door and came out, trying her best not to fidget. "Not bad," Jessica murmured. "Okay, turn."

"What is wrong with this sweater?" Haruki asked.

"What do you mean? It looks great!"

"It's so itchy!"

"Well, you're wearing a cami underneath, aren't you?" Jessica asked.

"A what?"

Jessica rolled her eyes and pushed past her. After a moment, she emerged holding a tank top with thin straps and held it up. "Honestly, Haruki."

"So that's what that is for," Haruki murmured under her breath as she retreated into the dressing room again.

Half an hour later, they had settled on three new suits that Jessica deemed appropriate for work, along with a variety of sweaters, t-shirts, and blouses to be worn with them. Well, visually, they had passed Jessica's fashion test. Haruki's skin still felt like it was being pricked with dry grass.

"And now for party clothes," Jessica announced.

Haruki poked through the pile of clothes, pushing everything she deemed too colorful, lacy, or cold to one side. All that was left was a V-neck blue dress. She pulled it on.

The neckline plunged so far down she quickly crossed her arms over her chest, even though there was no one else to see. Whatever fabric this dress was made out of, it reminded her of the time she dumped water on an anthill when she was five and the ants had retaliated by crawling up her legs.

She ped the top, pulled it off far enough to pull on the cami, and pulled the dress back onto her shoulders. She opened the door and Jessica shook her head.

"Really, Haruki? Take the cami off."

"But-"

"You don't wear a cami with a dress like that! It's supposed to show off your figure."

"Or lack of," Haruki muttered as she closed the door again. When she emerged again, she kept plucking at the fabric, trying to keep it from touching her skin. "I don't like this one, Jessica."

"Why? It looks great! You're getting it."

"But-"

"Okay, we're not leaving until you find two dresses you like." The model crossed her arms. "And hurry up, we need to hit the lingerie department before the mall closes."

Haruki groaned.


 

"Hey there, Jessica," grinned Doojoon as the girls approached the counter. "And who's your pretty friend?"

"It's me," Haruki snapped, shifting her shoulders as she did her best to ignore the crawling sensation across her shoulders.

"Haruki! Wow! I didn't recognize you," Doojoon smiled. "I'll get someone to wait on you ladies in a moment."

Jessica smiled smugly at Haruki. "You're welcome. See? The outfit makes all the difference."

"I still don't believe you," Haruki said.

Jessica flicked her hair over her shoulder. "Say what you want. Men are visual creatures. The way you look is always important."

"Men are shallow idiots."

"She sounds like Haruki and slouches like her," said a familiar voice as Jiyong appeared between them. "But there is no way Haruki would be caught dead wearing THAT." He eyed her cleavage and bit the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing.

"Hey," said Jessica as Haruki's bottom lip stuck out further and she slumped closer to the counter.

"Hey." Jiyong had a wicked grin on his face. "How did you talk her into that dress?"

"Oh, I didn't give her a choice." Jessica gestured for Haruki to stand up and spin, which she did, dragging her feet all the way. "So, what do you think?"

"Two thumbs up," Jiyong replied. "I'd say more, but I won't, at the risk of sounding gay." He took out his phone. "I think everyone at work should see this. It wouldn't be fair otherwise-"

"Jiyong, don't you dare-"

The phone made the sound of a shutter closing and Jiyong hopped out of reach. "Oops! Too late! See you at work tomorrow, Haruki!"

Yoseob gave Haruki a sympathetic look and a shot. Haruki was extremely grateful for his ability to match her mood with the proper drink. Unfortunately, though the burn helped lighten her mood, it did nothing for the prickling feeling down her back and against her legs.

"Evening, ladies."

Haruki froze as Donghae appeared on her other side, dropping a kiss on her cheek before sitting on the seat next to hers. He smiled at Jessica, who gave him an impatient look.

"Well?" she demanded.

Donghae shrugged. "What?"

"Did you notice anything different about Haruki?"

Donghae scrutinized her. "Besides the scowl?"

"The outfit!" Jessica burst out. "Doesn't she look good wearing something that actually fits for once? Doesn't she look good wearing something that doesn't have wrinkles and stains and isn't ten years old?"

Donghae smiled as he slipped an arm around Haruki's waist. "Of course she does. She looks good in anything." He kissed her cheek again and stood up, waving to Jiyong as he crossed the floor towards him.

Haruki felt the warmth of his arm up and down her spine and the itching stopped immediately. She smiled at his retreating back, a light blush on her cheek that probably wasn't due to alcohol.

Jessica sighed and propped her chin up with one hand. "You're right. Men are idiots."