Anhedonia

Thirty Symptoms of Withdrawal

Haruki wasn’t sure if the growing migraine throbbing at her temples was due to the flashing lights, the ground-shaking music, or the third cocktail she’d finished off. Glancing over at Donghae, her shoulders slumped upon realizing that he was still cheerfully chatting with Eunhyuk and Yesung and showed no signs of leaving soon.

“I have never seen anyone look so alone, not even when they actually come by themselves,” Yoseob commented, leaning over the counter and smiling sympathetically at her as he handed her a shot of whiskey. “On the house.”

“Thanks,” she replied, tossing it back. As the burn settled in her nose and throat, she sighed. “I didn’t want to come, but I haven’t had a chance to hang out with him in a week.” She nodded at Donghae.

“You shouldn’t force yourself to pretend to have a good time,” Yoseob replied. “Why don’t you just head home and call it a night? I’m sure he’ll understand, if he even notices.” Haruki narrowed her eyebrows at him and he held up his hands. “Sorry, that came out wrong. I meant-”

“I know what you mean,” she replied. “I’m intruding on boys’ night out.”

“Why don’t you call up Jessica and have her keep you company?” asked Yoseob.

“She’s busy tonight,” Haruki replied. “She’s with her parents.”

“Hi.” A girl bumped into Haruki’s shoulder as she leaned across the counter. “I’ll take scotch on the rocks, please.”

“Sure.” Yoseob turned around to prepare the drink. Haruki looked up and smiled politely at the girl, only to stop when the girl placed a hand on Donghae’s shoulder.

“Hey, cutie,” she said. “Haven’t seen you around before. Come here often?”

“Yes,” Donghae replied. “And I’m here with my girlfriend.”

“Where? I don’t see her.”

Haruki tapped her arm from the other side and smiled with tightly pressed lips. “Hi. Right here.”

The girl looked her up and down and wrinkled her nose. “I don’t see much.”

Haruki tried to think of a snappy retort, but nothing came to mind as she searched her alcohol-addled brain. She’d never been particularly good at petty bickering with other girls, anyway. So instead, she frowned and gratefully took the next shot Yoseob handed her. 

The girl turned back to Donghae and smiled. “Wanna dance?”

“No, thanks.” Donghae pried her hand off his shoulder, but she clung to his hand and squeezed it slightly.

“Come on! It’ll be fun.”

“I said, ‘No.’ Sorry.” Donghae shook her off and turned away. The girl made a face at Haruki, tossed her hair over her shoulder, and stormed off.

“First one of the night,” Eunhyuk chuckled as he raised a glass to Donghae. Donghae frowned and shook his head slightly in warning as Haruki blinked and leaned towards them slightly.

“Does that…happen a lot?” she asked.

“Oh, yeah. He gets hit on all the, oh…right.” Eunhyuk glanced at Yesung, who was staring up at the ceiling, inching away until he was sitting on the very edge of his barstool.

“Haruki-” Donghae began.

She smiled. “It’s fine.” She set her empty glass on the counter and signaled to Yoseob for the tab.

“Are you leaving?” Donghae asked.

“I’m going to head home and call it a night,” she replied. “I’ll see you around.” She gave him a quick peck on the cheek, nodded to Eunhyuk and Yesung, and walked out with her hands in her pockets. She was about to ask the bouncer to call her a cab when her phone rang. “Hello?”

“Haruki! You won’t believe how bad-”

“Hey, Jessica.”

“-my parents! Ugh, I can’t even- where are you right now?”

“Club No. 1. Why?”

“I was going to ask if you minded coming over and listening to me rant, but if you’re busy-”

“I’m not busy,” Haruki said quickly. “I could really use a ride out of here.”

“And we both benefit! Great! I’ll be right there.” Jessica clicked off.

Haruki stuffed her hands into her pockets again, wrapping her arms around herself when Donghae appeared behind her. “What’s wrong?” he asked. “Weren't you having fun?”

“I…” On a good day, Haruki at lying. On a bad day, with her brain confused by alcohol, she was even worse at lying, so she went with the honest approach. “No, not particularly. But I’m fine, you should go back and keep talking to your friends. It’s boys’ night out, isn’t it?”

“Haruki, we weren’t trying to exclude you-”

“I know.”

“I didn’t know that girl would-”

“I know.”

“Oh.” Donghae’s forehead creased. “Then what’s wrong?”

Haruki sighed and passed a hand over her face. “Why me?” she asked.

“Huh?”

“Why me? Why did you choose me?” She waved a hand at the noisy club behind him. “This is your idea of fun, you like coming here and hanging out with the guys, probably picking up girls and…I don’t know.” She sighed. “My idea of fun is staying in with takeout and reading or working, if I’m alone, or sitting in awkward silence, if I’m not alone. I'm completely different from you and all the people you like to hang out with.” Haruki rolled her head back until she was looking up at him again. “So, why me?”

“Are you drunk?” Donghae asked.

“Maybe,” Haruki replied. “But that doesn’t answer my question.”

“Because if you weren’t drunk, you wouldn’t be asking that question.” Donghae smiled as he turned her around and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “I didn’t choose you. I fell in love with you the first time you rejected me.”

Haruki let out a giggle that sounded different from her usual laugh. “That doesn’t make sense, idiot.”

“I know,” Donghae replied. “The heart wants what it wants, Haruki. I didn’t have a choice.” He smiled and pulled her close, only to be interrupted by a loud honk as Jessica pulled up to the curb.

The passenger side window opened as Jessica leaned over, calling, “Hey, if you’re done with Haruki, I need her for some best friend duties.”

Donghae gave Haruki a quick peck on the lips. “See you tomorrow? We can get takeout and sit in awkward silence, if you want.”

Haruki grinned as she headed towards the car. “Sure. Sounds like a date.”