Headache

Thirty Symptoms of Withdrawal

It was a nice day outside, Chief Park observed mildly as he turned back toward the file on his desk. The image made him jolt slightly. Victim: twelve-year-old female of Caucasian descent. Damn, they got younger all the time. Didn't these foreigners have enough going on in their own countries? Why did they have to come over here to get murdered?

The girl was carrying nothing on her body, no purse, no phone, nothing that could be used to identify her. He sighed and rubbed his forehead again. Great, just great. Once the media picked up the story about a pretty young foreign girl who had gotten killed in his city, they would be swarming all over it.

He opened the door and walked out of his office, heading straight of Sooyoung's desk. "How bad is it?" he asked.

"Please hold," she said and for a moment, he thought she was talking to him instead of the receiver tucked under her chin as she typed away. She hung up, rolled her eyes and looked up at him. "Just as bad as you think."

He sighed again. "What about parents? Do we have any parents coming forward to demand we investigate their case?"

"Not yet," Sooyoung replied. She gestured towards her phone. "What do I tell them?"

"Tell them we're making this case a top priority and that we are investigating all possible leads," Leeteuk said as he turned away.

"So the usual."

Yes, he sighed to himself. While the media might be having a field day with this, and the debate on safety for tourists would be the only thing talked about on television for days to come, for him, it was just like any other day.


 "I don't care about your regulations, we have a murder on our hands! Are you going to help us or not?"

Chief Park hesitated at hearing Jonghyun yelling into the phone. If he were one of the other guys, he'd back away right about now. Unfortunately, being the boss didn't give him that kind of luxury.

With a sigh , he knocked and entered. Jonghyun gave him an impatient look and turned away. "Look, we have a foreign Jane Doe on our hands. I need access to your records of foreign passports so we can identify this girl." A pause. "Well, you can tell your boss to-"

Chief Park snatched the phone from him in one swift movement. "Hi, this is Chief Park Jungsu of the Forensic Investigation Department. I don't think you quite understand the situation. We're talking about a pretty young foreign girl, who has apparently been mugged. I wonder what news of this will do for tourism and your department?"

He smiled, pausing for a second to listen to the stunned silence on the other end of the line before hanging up.

"Check your email, Jonghyun," he called, tossing the phone back to him.

The younger detective did so and his eyes widened. "How did you do that?"

"It's called knowing what people want," he replied. "Anything else you need?"

"Go away," Jonghyun muttered, evidently already too engrossed to remember who he was talking to.

Chief Park just shook his head. Win some, lose some.


 Shindong was just scooping out the contents of the girl's stomach when Chief Park entered the morgue. Yesung was standing off to the side, apparently finding the dark marks on her neck very interesting. Leeteuk groaned. The day just kept getting better.

"Find anything of interest?" he asked.

"She was strangled postmortem," the medical examiner said promptly. "She was killed about twelve hours before we found her. Her last meal is still in her stomach."

Chief Park pointedly did not look at the mass Shindong was pointing towards. "Postmortem? Then what was the cause of death?" he asked.

"She was in terribly bad health for a teenager," Shindong muttered, more to himself than either of the observing detectives.

"Maybe it was an accidental death," Yesung suggested. "Whoever she was with strangled her body afterwards to make it look like a murder."

"Why wouldn't they just call the police if it was an accident?" asked Leeteuk.

"They panicked," Yesung said.

"Tox reports are in," announced Yoona as she came into the room. "Her blood alcohol levels were extremely high." Shindong looked up sharply, but none of them noticed.

Yesung frowned. "Maybe that it's it then."

"She's twelve," Leeteuk pointed out. "She's not even legal to drink."

"Foreign girls can often pass themselves off as more mature than they really are," Yesung replied. "Did she die of alcohol poisoning...Shindong, what are you doing?"

Shindong had taken out the kidneys and was holding them up to the light. "Ethylene glycol," he said triumphantly.

"Antifreeze?" Chief Park asked. "What does that-?"

"The crystallization here is consistent with ethylene glycol poisoning," Shindong replied. "Look."

Chief Park quickly took a step back. "So it wasn't an accident. She was poisoned." Damn, why did they all have to get more complicated?

"And there's something else," Shindong said.


 "She flew over here with her mother about a week ago," Yesung reported. "They stayed here." He pushed an address towards Chief Park. "The hotel staff reports that the girl was very sickly and rarely left the apartment. She usually stayed in bed all day while her mother went out."

"Jonghyun, how are you doing with obtaining the girl's medical reports?" Leeteuk asked.

"They are US citizens!" Jonghyun protested. "It's midnight over there! Do you know how hard it is to get in touch with anybody?"

"Keep trying." Chief Park turned away dismissively. The younger detective muttered something under his breath and slunk away to call again.

"Why do you need her medical reports, Chief?" asked Yesung.

"I have a hunch," Chief Park replied. "If I'm right, the media will have plenty to write about for a while, but all negative attention will turn away from us."

Jonghyun returned with a stack of printouts. Leeteuk took the top page, skimmed it for a moment, and nodded. "Perfect. Let's go."


 "Donghae, no." Haruki's faint protest came through the door of her office. 

"Come on, you need to let go and relax. I know you’ll like it.”
"I said no! Not now."
Chief Park paused outside the door, grimacing. Did he really want to know? He thought he'd issued a "no contact" rule for those two. Really, it was Haruki he was surprised at, since he had always trusted her to act professionally at work. He had long given up on Donghae as a hopeless case.

He quickened his pace and walked by, almost screwing his eyes shut to keep the images out of his mind, just as Donghae said, "But it's almost one and we haven't had lunch yet. I’ve heard this place is great! Please?"

Leeteuk knocked on Key’s door, where he and Kibum were discussing a photograph. Both looked up as he entered. "Hey, Chief. What's going on?" asked Key.

"Let's go. I need your English skills on this one. I'll brief you on the way over."


 "Mrs. Roberts, I'm so sorry for your loss," Key said softly. The woman was tracing the photo of her daughter's face over and over again, struggling to hold back tears. Key reached across the table and squeezed her hand.

"What's he saying?" hissed Jonghyun. Leeteuk shushed him.

"S-she always wanted to come to Korea," the woman sobbed. "I told her we couldn't afford it, but she wanted it so badly... She's been so ill and I wanted her to be happy. I finally managed to save up enough and..." She looked up. "Do you have any idea who did this to my baby?"

"We have a few ideas," Key replied. "I just need you to answer a few questions, if you don't mind."

"Of course. Anything to help."

"When was the last time you saw your daughter?" Key asked.

"Around six o'clock," the woman replied. "We were having dinner together, as usual. Afterwards, I left her at the mall and went off to do some shopping of my own. She insisted that she could find her own way back. I-I never dreamed..."

"Where did you go?" Key asked.

"I went for a manicure first," the woman replied. "And then I walked along the street, doing some window shopping, and returned to my hotel room."

"Here it comes," Leeteuk said, smiling slightly as Key's pleasant demeanor changed completely.

"Quit bullting," snapped the detective. "You think we're stupid because we're from a different country? You are lying through your teeth to me, lady. You last saw her at seven o'clock when you strangled her dead body and left her on the side of the road."

The woman stared at him in shock, her hands dropping into her lap. Key continued, opening a thick folder. "You thought it would be harder to track you because you're in a foreign country. I guess you didn't realize that when a foreigner is murdered in our country, it becomes a top priority and usually, anyone is willing to cooperate with. Your story is surprisingly easy to verify." He looked down at the top page. "Oh, let's see. We tracked your credit card to various bars. The bartenders identified you very readily, said you would party until late at night and leave with a man. The hotel managers reported that you stumbled in drunk sometime early in the morning and that you had frequent fights with your daughter, who begged to go home to her father."

He slowly turned the page, pretending not to notice the agitated way her fingers were clenching together. "What have we here? Divorce papers, filed by your husband, citing your lifestyle as they source of conflict between you. You'd be losing access to his income. Oh, and he filed for custody of your daughter, who asked to stay with him-"

"Ungrateful brat!" the woman spat out, before clapping a hand to .

Key ignored her. "Your daughter's medical reports. She has been ill for a long time, kidney failure it seems. Your husband has been diligently caring for her. It's really not a surprise that she would choose him over you."

"He's not even her real father!" she snapped. "He's her stepfather. Her real father, my cheating bastard of a first husband, left us when she was a child-"

"So when your daughter chose her stepfather over you, you felt that same anger towards her," Key said mildly. "And because of your partying lifestyle, the judge was probably going to grant him custody. You decided to punish them both, your daughter for what you perceived as betrayal, and your second husband for leaving you as well."

"There's the motive," Chief Park said quietly.

"Where? What is it?" protested Jonghyun. Leeteuk shushed him again.

Key flipped a page. "You took her to Korea, ostensibly to spend some time together before the divorce went through. We traced your movements while you were here- your daughter almost never left her room. You would go out all day and bring her back something to eat before leaving to party again. You laced her food with ethylene glycol. It sped up her kidney failure and she died soon after. When you came back and found her dead, you strangled her with your bare hands to make it look like a random mugging. By the way, you should have checked yourself on the manicure story." He nodded towards her hands. "Your nails are chipped- they haven't been done in a while. The color matches the flakes of nail polish we found on your daughter's neck. Having her die in a foreign country had an added bonus, right? You thought it would get blamed on the carelessness of the Korean police and there would be hype about Korea being an unsafe place to travel. You might even get a few interviews and talk show appearances out of that."

The woman's lips pressed together. "I want a lawyer." Leeteuk grinned and turned to leave.

Key smirked as he headed towards the door. "You're going to need a good one."


 "Nicely done, Chief," Sooyoung grinned. "Heading home for the night? You deserve a good rest."

"I'm getting too old for this job, Sooyoung," Leeteuk sighed as he buttoned up his coat. "Well, good night."

"Good night," she called after him.

He'd barely gone two steps when his phone beeped. He looked down to see the message.

"Dispatch has reported a body found under a bridge near the Han River. The victim appears to have been stabbed in the back."

Leeteuk sighed, then ed his coat and walked back to his office, massaging his forehead as he did so. He really was getting too old for this.