Blurred Vision

Thirty Symptoms of Withdrawal

Onew blinked hard, then rubbed at his eyes. It felt like he had water in them, but no amount of blinking or rubbing would clear them up this time.

He could have sworn he had his glasses when he went into the bathroom. Afterwards, he noticed that something was wrong, but it took a moment to realize he couldn't see clearly anymore. He'd rushed back to the bathroom to look for them, but hadn't found anything.

"Hey, Onew, man. You alright?" He realized he'd been squinting at one of the fuzzy faces passing by him, features blurred beyond recognition. At the sound of the voice, though, he perked up slightly.

"I'm fine, Jonghyun. I seem to have misplaced my glasses, though." He sighed. "You haven't seen them, have you?"

"You sure you've lost them?" Jonghyun's voice had a strange sound to it, as if the man were struggling not to sneeze. Or was he trying not to laugh? Onew could hardly believe that. While Jonghyun enjoyed teasing his colleagues as much as anyone else, he wasn't that heartless, was he?

"I know I had them earlier, but I can't find them now," Onew replied. "Let me know if you see them, will you?"

Jonghyun didn't reply, but as Onew walked away, he thought he heard the other man say, "Sure thing."

As he turned down the hall leading to his office, he bumped into the doorframe and rubbed his shoulder ruefully. Getting home might be a real problem today. Even though he took the bus, he had never memorized which stop was his. He decided where to get off based on how familiar the surroundings were. Maybe if he called his optometrist today, he could get his new prescription by tomorrow. Picking them up would still be a problem though...

Had this corridor always been this long? He pushed open the door and was mildly surprised to find three people staring back at him.

"Hey Onew," said one of the three, but this time, he didn't recognize the voice. He didn't know any of the hackers that well.

It was probably Jiyong, his sometimes drinking buddy. He wasn't even sure he knew the names of the other two guys.

"Hey," he ventured, not wanting to take the risk of misidentifying the person. At this distance, they barely looked like real people. 

"What are you doing in here?"

He rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. "I guess I made a wrong turn looking for my office. I lost my glasses, so I'm having a hard time getting around today." 

"Um, Onew-" one of the other hackers said.

"Wow, that ," interrupted the first one. "Are you alright? So you really can't see anything?"

The psychologist bristled slightly. "I can see some things, just not very clearly."

"Mostly big colorful shapes," he wanted to add, but didn't when he realized that the last of the three guys was clearly snickering behind his hand.

"We'll keep an eye out for your glasses," the first hacker said.

"But Onew-"

"Won't we, Youngbae?"

"Thanks Jiyong," Onew said triumphantly, pleased that he'd finally figured out who he was talking to. "I'll see you all around."

"Hopefully everything clears up by tomorrow," Jiyong said and this time, TOP didn't even bother to hide his roar of laughter.

Annoyed, Onew stomped out of the Digital Forensics Division, debating whether or not it was worth going home and calling it a day. He didn't like pretending he was so dependent on his glasses, but it was true. He couldn't read any of his files without his glasses anyway. It might be better to leave and make up any work he had when he wasn't so frustrated.

"Onew! I was looking for you," called a voice, as a figure briskly walked towards him.

He squinted, trying to identify the person before they became suspicious. Dark wavy hair, navy blue blazer...

"Hi, Yuri."

"Not quite." The person came closer and Haruki's bemused expression appeared on the blurry face. "Are you alright, Onew?"

Onew sighed. "I lost my glasses and I'm trying not to let it seem like a big deal, but I can't even find my office now, or recognize my colleagues, or even do my job."

"But-"

"A little sympathy or help looking for them would be nice, but no. Everyone I talk to just seems to laugh or stare."

"Onew-"

"Is it really that weird to need glasses? I mean, yes, I am the only one in our department who has them, but a lot of other people use contacts! I just don't like poking my finger into my eye. And so what if my vision is really bad? That's still no reason to make fun of me-"

"Onew, they're right here." Haruki reached a hand towards him and he felt a slight tug at his hair before she held them out to him.

Oh.

"Thank you," he mumbled as he took them back.

"Mm."

"Well..." He shifted his shoulders and stared down at his now clear feet. "This is awkward."

"What is?"

Onew looked at her suspiciously, but her face remained completely neutral. Then the corner of quirked upwards and he smiled. 

"Thanks, Haruki."

"Anytime."