Irritability

Thirty Symptoms of Withdrawal

Ryeowook opened and closed the cabinet with a sinking stomach when he found that all the coffee cans inside were empty. As he tossed them out, Donghae entered, raising an eyebrow when he saw the younger detective frantically opening and closing cabinets. “Ryeowook, what are you doing?”

“I think we’re out of coffee.”

Donghae’s eyes widened almost comically, except this was a very serious matter. “No! Did you check the supply closet?”

“Not yet.”

Donghae sprinted out of the room, bumping into Eunhyuk and Yesung as he passed through the doorway. “What’s his deal?” asked Eunhyuk.

“All these coffee cans are empty,” Ryeowook explained as he tossed yet another one into the trash. Eunhyuk dashed forward and jerked a cabinet open. “I already looked there. I’m serious, I think we might be-”

“Don’t say it!” Eunhyuk yelped. “Don’t you dare say it!”

When Chief Park came in almost thirty minutes later, he was bewildered to find all of them

“We’re out of coffee!” Ryeowook whined.

“Guess you’ll just have to go without for today,” he replied.

They looked at him as if he’d just told them to go without food for the rest of the day. “I’m serious,” he snapped. “I need you all to get to work. You’ll survive one day without coffee.”


 

The witness was fifteen minutes late. Luhan tapped his foot against the leg of his chair as he checked his watch every few seconds. Haruki was busy eyeing the café across the street.

“She said 10:25, right?” asked Luhan.

Haruki grunted in response.

“Maybe she’s lost?”

No answer.

“Maybe we should call her?”

No answer.

“Maybe she’s-”

“Will you stop that?” Haruki snapped, kicking the jittery foot from under the table. She massaged her temples and sighed.

“Well, you could answer me or something! What do we do? We’ve been waiting for-” Luhan checked his watch again “-twenty minutes!”

“Stop checking the time! It doesn’t matter! We have to wait until she shows up.” She shoved back her chair and stood up.

“Hey! Where are you going?”

“To Heartquake Café,” Haruki replied. “I can’t take it anymore, I need my coffee.”

“You can’t leave! What if she shows up?”

“Then you can start talking to her without me.”

Luhan looked dismayed. “What? I can’t do that. I’ve never questioned a witness before. What do I say?”

“We’ve been over this-”

“You do it this time!”

Haruki growled under her breath and rolled her eyes. “Fine! Then you tell her to have a seat and wait until I get back.”

“But-”

“I’ll get you something too.” Haruki turned to leave, just as a woman rushed over breathlessly. “I’m so sorry I’m late! I got stuck in a traffic jam. Sorry for the inconvenience.”

The detective slumped back into her chair and rubbed her temples again, cringing slightly. “Alright, let’s get this over with.” 


 

Eunhyuk tossed another stack of papers onto the pile on his desk and leaned back in his chair, staring at it. Across from him, Donghae was struggling to keep his eyes open as he propped his chin up on one hand.

“That stuff’s important,” Donghae mumbled.

“Yeah.”

“We should start.”

“We should.”

They continued to stare blankly as Donghae shifted his head to his other hand and tilted his head. Through the open door, they heard Key and Kibum walk by, sniping at each other over some minor detail in their case. “You go first,” Donghae finally said.

“No, you.”

“They’re on your desk.”

“Why does that make a difference?”

“Just start.” Donghae leaned forward and pushed the pile of paperwork towards his partner.

“I don’t want to!” Eunhyuk pouted and pushed it back. Donghae pushed it over to him again. Eunhyuk pushed it back.

They continued their game of tug-of-war until Chief Park came in and slammed his hand down on the pile. “Both of you! I need these done and on my desk by the end of the day!”

As he stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him, the pair looked at each other over the pile. Donghae pushed it towards Eunhyuk. “You first.” 


 

Click click click. Click click click. Click click-

“Stop that!” Jonghyun snapped, scowling at Yesung who put the pen down and fidgeted in his seat. “What’s your problem?”

“I don’t know,” Yesung replied. “Are you making any progress with those files?”

“No.” Jonghyun rubbed his eyes and stretched his arms over his head, yawning loudly. “I can’t focus. The words keep blurring. And it doesn’t help that you keep moving around either.”

Yesung bounced to his feet and paced once around the room before sitting back down. “I can’t help it! I just feel all…twitchy.”

“No ,” mumbled Jonghyun.

“Hey, at least I’m reading.” Yesung picked up the pen and began clicking it again as he skimmed through the document.

“That’s it.” Jonghyun dove across the desk and grabbed it from him, sprinting across the room.

“Hey, give it back!” Yesung chased after him.

The door opened and Chief Park poked his head in, but by that point, both of them were in their seats, casually reading through the files. They looked up as he came in.

“Something wrong, Chief?” Yesung asked a little too nonchalantly.

Chief Park raised an eyebrow. “I thought I heard noise in here. Must have been my imagination.”

“Maybe you’re just getting ol- ow!” Jonghyun glowered at his partner, before turning back and smiling innocently.

Chief Park slowly closed the door behind him.


 

“You saw nothing.” Sungmin folded his arms and glared, not at the witness lounging across from him, but at his partner, who was slowly lowering his chin to the table, looking very bleary.

“Nothing at all.” The witness glanced at Ryeowook, a confused look wiping the smirk from his face. “Is…is he okay?”

“None of your business,” snapped Sungmin. Under the table, he stomped on Ryeowook’s foot, causing the younger detective to jump up.

“So, did you see anything?” Ryeowook asked and Sungmin resisted the urge to smack himself.

The witness narrowed his eyebrows. “I already said no.”

“Will you excuse us for a moment?” Sungmin grabbed Ryeowook by the shirt collar and hauled him outside. “What is wrong with me?”

“Me? Nothing’s wrong with me! Why are you mad?”

Sungmin sighed and smacked his forehead. “Really? Do I have to go over this? He was at the scene of the crime. We have to find out what he knows. Why am I explaining this to you?”

Ryeowook tilted his head to the side. “But he just said he didn’t see anything?”

“He could be lying,” Sungmin replied. “Or he might not know if he saw something important. Which is why we have to question him. And you need to stop dozing off!”

Ryeowook’s eyes opened wide as he jolted awake again. “I’m sorry,” he whined. “Don’t be mad, Sungmin.”

“I’m not mad! Now get in there and help me do our job!” He yanked the door open and pushed Ryeowook back in. They sat down again and Sungmin looked the witness hard in the eye. “Now-”

But he was interrupted by the sound of Ryeowook slamming face first onto the table, fast asleep.


Chief Park pulled on his coat with a sigh, rubbing his forehead. As he passed by Sooyoung’s desk, he found her packing up her things to go home for the night. “Sooyoung, could you take a memo for me?” he asked.

“Of course.” She immediately scrambled for a pen and a piece of paper and nodded at him.

“We are never allowed to run out of coffee again.” 


 

A/N: Is this chapter completely OOC? Yes. Do I care? Nope!