Misinterpretation

Save Me

    "Come back and visit soon, I'd love to go shopping with you and your unnie!" Tao said, hugging me and giving me a kiss on my cheek. I hugged him back, taking my now dry clothes from Kris.  
    "We'll invite you the next time we go. Thanks so much for everything." I said. Kris hugged me and kissed my cheek, patting my shoulder. 
    "Come back if you need anything, no matter what time. You're always welcome." Kris said. I nodded, thanking him. 
    "Ready to go?" Daehyun asked. I nodded, saying my last goodbyes to Tao and Kris. They watched fondly from their doorway, waving as he walked away. 
    "Could we stop by the coffee shop? I left my phone there yesterday, and I think I have a shift today." I said. Daehyun nodded, walking with me. The sky was still grey and there were puddles everywhere, but at least it wasn't raining. 
    We reached the shop quickly, talking as we went along. There was a massive puddle in front of the coffee shop, and I splashed my foot in it playfully. I squeaked when I slipped, feeling Daehyun catch me right before I fell on my . 
    "Be careful!" Daehyun said, holding my hand with one hand and wrapping his other arm around my shoulders. We walked into the coffee shop, hands still linked, laughing at my clumsiness. 
    "Thanks for catching me." I said. Daehyun shrugged, and I looked up. I nudged his shoulder playfully, and Daehyun nudged me back as we walked up to the counter. 
    "Hyowon! Where were you today? I was worried sick! What are you doing with...him?" Zelo's anxious voice greeted me, making me smile. He was looking at me concernedly, in between shooting venomous glares at Daehyun. 
    "Zelo, I'm fine. I just spent the night at a friend's house and we called in sick." I said with a smile, frowning when an angry look showed on Zelo's face. 
    "Oh. You're late for your shift." Zelo turned away abruptly, walking out from behind the counter and wiping down tables with his back to me. 
    "What's wrong with him?" Daehyun asked. I shrugged, not sure what was making Zelo act this way. I noticed Daehyun and I were still holding hands, and we both dropped the contact abruptly. 
    "Thanks for everything." I said, smiling at Daehyun and putting Zelo out of my mind. Daehyun nodded to me, giving me one of his rare smiles that seemed to be getting more and more frequent. 
    "Thank you for your help with my nightmares. I don't know what I would've done without you." Daehyun said. We hugged, smiled, and Daehyun left. 
    I took my place behind the counter, working like a whirlwind until my shift ended. Zelo continued to avoid me, not speaking or even looking my way. It was a few hours later when I finally called Zelo over and took him with me to the back. 
    "What?" Zelo asked sharply, crossing his arms. I frowned, wondering why he was acting like this. 
    "What's going on with you? I leave you for one day and suddenly you hate me? What's wrong?" I asked. Zelo looked down at the ground, scuffing his foot along, and looked back at me. 
    "I don't hate you." Zelo said softly. I motioned for him to go on, and he got angry again. "It's just...you know Daehyun for a week and suddenly you're sleeping over at his house?!" Zelo said angrily. I realized what he thought had happened, and started laughing. 
    "You think Daehyun and I...that we...oh, that's good!" I exclaimed in between outbursts of laughter. Zelo only looked angrier, crossing his arms and making his lips turn down in a frown. 
    "Well, if you're just going to laugh about it, I'm leaving." Zelo said, walking away. I caught his arm, making a valiant attempt to control myself. 
    "Zelo, listen. It wasn't like that, it wasn't even Daehyun's house. I fell last night in the rain and hurt my leg. Daehyun found me and took me to his friend's house. His friend's a doctor, and I spent the night there because of the weather." I explained. Zelo looked somewhat guilty, but I was touched he cared that much about me. 
    "Oh. Sorry, I didn't realize. Is your leg okay?" Zelo asked sheepishly. I nodded, feeling the cut throb slightly in protest of my constant walking around and standing. 
    "It's fine. Don't worry about it, let's get back to serving customers!" I said. Zelo nodded, smiling, and we were both glad to put everything behind us. 
    When our shift was over, Zelo walked me home. I was greeted by a very enthusiastic Yong Guk, Himchan, Tika, Umma and Aboji. 
    "We were so worried!" Himchan cried. They were all standing in a circle hugging me, and I was starting to feel claustrophobic. 
    "Yong Guk told us you were with a friend but—" Umma's voice was cut off by Aboji's. 
    "Don't ever scare us like that again!" Aboji said gently, in his fatherly voice. 
    "I thought I would have to get a new shopping partner!" Tika cried, and Yong Guk fired a stream of questions at me on how I was feeling, was I hurt, was I hungry...
    "Stop!" I cried, holding my hands up. Everyone stopped talking over each other and took several steps back. 
    "I love you all very much, but I need space." I smiled, and everyone started talking again. They immediately stopped at my thunderous look, and I sighed wearily. 
    "I'm going to go take a shower, eat dinner and do my homework. I'm really fine, I just need to go wash up." I said. They all nodded, Aboji saying goodbye. He had been called in to work late again, and it would just be Yong Guk, Himchan, Tika, Umma and I for dinner tonight. 
    I went upstairs and showered, coming back down to find Yong Guk and Tika on the couch and Himchan asleep in a chair. 
    "Before dinner?" I said, making Tika and Yong Guk chuckle at Himchan. 
    "I swear, that boy can sleep anywhere." Tika rolled her eyes, patting the couch next to her. I sat down, sinking in gratefully, and before I knew it, I was asleep just like Himchan. 

I know, this update is tiny! But I couldn't just leave the story hanging like that. Everyone please comment, upvote and subscribe!
Thanks!
—Taoris95