My Preciousssss

Save Me

    Daehyun walked with me to a small, warm room in the back of the apartment. It was decorated nicely, with a soft-looking bed and wooden dresser. I touched the bed gently, sighing as my hand sunk into the soft mattress. Daehyun smiled, looking at me. 
    "This is wonderful. Thanks again so much for all your help. You've been so nice to me." I said, smiling at Daehyun. He shrugged, rocking back on his heels and standing on his toes nervously. 
    "No trouble at all. Really, it was nothing." Daehyun said. I shook my head, impressed at his modesty. "So, you can go to bed any time you want. Do you want to watch tv with us?" 
    "Sure." I nodded, and Daehyun smiled. We walked back to the living room, sitting down gently next to Kris and Tao. Kris motioned for us to be quiet, lovingly brushing Tao's bangs out of the sleeping man's face. 
    "I think we're going to turn in. Good night, it was nice to meet you. If you get hungry, help yourself. If you need anything, ask Daehyun." Kris said, standing up carefully and cradling Tao in his arms. 
    "Good night, thank you." I whispered back, smiling as Kris carried Tao to their bedroom as carefully as if he was a baby. 
    "They're so sweet together. How did you meet them?" I asked Daehyun. He shrugged, flipping through channels on the tv. 
    "We got in touch online. Kris is an orphan like me, and set up a website for other orphan's to talk to each other. Kind of like a family of misfits." Daehyun said quietly. I could tell he really liked Kris, and they were good friends. 
    "I was eating dinner at the restaurant Tao works at when I saw Kris there. I introduced myself, and learned they had been dating for a year now. We've been friends ever since." Daehyun said. I smiled, relaxing back on the couch. 
    "That's so nice. You know, if you ever want to make more friends, you're welcome to hang out with my friends and I at school." I offered, wrapping my arms around my knees and drawing them up to my chin. Daehyun shook his head, shrugging. 
    "I don't think your friends like me very much." Daehyun said. I shook my head, not wanting him to look so lonely. 
    "No, no. It's just that you can be a little..." I trailed off, not quite sure how to describe Daehyun the way my friends saw him without being offensive. 
    "Rude? Narcissistic? Conceited? An ?" Daehyun supplies helpfully, looking down. I opened my mouth to deny it, but decided to not even try. 
    "I just have problems connecting to people. I mean, the last time I cared about someone else, they ended up dead. I don't want that to happen to anyone else." Daehyun said. I paused, sad that someone so young was so broken. 
    "Daehyun, you can't live in fear. Sometimes, bad things happen to good people. You can't let little things stop you, you have to go seize the moment." I said, trying to think of the best way to say this. 
    "Little things? My parents died. I was there, I watched it happen." Daehyun said, his eyes dark. He frowned, and I was frantic to make him feel better. 
    "Daehyun, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way—" I said. Daehyun stood, shaking his head, and walked into the kitchen. 
    He came back a minute later, holding two candies. He managed a half-smile, holding a candy out to me. 
    "Forget about it. Here." I took it gratefully, glad Daehyun wasn't mad at me. 
    "Thank you." I said, making Daehyun nod. He Running Man, settling in next to me comfortably. I was sleepy and it was late, before I knew it I was asleep on Daehyun's shoulder. 

    I was woken by a strange sound and looked around confusedly. I turned off the tv and looked at Daehyun. He was asleep, softly and frowning. He must've been the one to wake me, but I wasn't upset. 
    "Daehyun." I shook his shoulder gently, wanting to wake him up from his bad dream. He only shifted slightly, crying out softly. I saw tears streaming down his cheeks from under his closed eyes, and felt my heart break. 
    "Daehyun, it's just a dream. Wake up." I shook his shoulder, jumping slightly when his eyes flew open. He sniffed, wiping his eyes, and looked at me next to him. 
    "Hyowon?" Daehyun asked. I nodded, and he shook his head. He rubbed his face, running his hand through his hair, and looked around. 
    "I'm sorry." Daehyun whispered, looking down. I shook my head, pulling him into a hug and holding him close. 
    "Don't. Don't say you're sorry. You don't have anything to be sorry about." I said, feeling Daehyun melt into me. 
    "But I woke you up." Daehyun said softly, not letting go of me. I let him hold on, glad to be able to give him even the smallest comfort. 
    "Daehyun, you can wake me up anytime you need me." I said. I felt him sob against me, wondering how someone hadn't tried to fix this broken boy yet. 
    "I'm here if you need anything." I said, rocking him back and forth. I held Daehyun for hours, his face whenever he had a nightmare and feeling strangely protective. 
    Sometime during the night I fell asleep, and woke in the morning to Daehyun's head in my lap. Someone had covered us with a blanket, and I wondered at what time it was. We had school, and I didn't want to be late. Tao appeared, wearing a ridiculous pink apron and holding a bowl. 
    "Shhh. I called your school and told them you and Daehyun were sick today. You need your rest. Just relax, I'm making breakfast now." Tao said softly, stirring the bowl and nodding when I thanked them. 
    I leaned back against the couch, running my hand through Daehyun's hair gently. There were dried tear tracks on his face, and I wiped them away carefully. He looked much more peaceful now that he was asleep, and I was glad he was finally able to rest. 
    With a soft mumble, Daehyun opened his eyes. I smiled at him cautiously, feeling my heart warm when he leaned his cheek into the middle of my thigh, wrapping his arms around my waist gently. He smiled sleepily, closing his eyes, and dozing off. I rubbed his back, thanking Tao when he handed me the tv remote to pass the time. 
    "Where's Kris?" I asked quietly, trying to not wake Daehyun. Tao rolled his eyes, flicking him thumb back towards the bedroom, and smiled. 
    "Still asleep. He's a real bear in the morning, hates waking up. Give me a second, breakfast is almost ready." Tao vanished back into the kitchen. I flipped through the channels on tv, the delicious smell of breakfast reaching me. 
    I finally settled on a reality tv show, relaxing back. Tao brought out my plate of breakfast, sitting down with his own plate in an armchair and eating. 
    "What about Kris and Daehyun?" I asked. Tao shrugged, smiling. He had finally taken off the ridiculous apron, still wearing his pajamas. 
    "Their food is on the stove, staying warm. If they're both asleep, their bodies both need to sleep. It's best to let them decide when to do things." Tao said knowingly, making perfect sense. I took a bite of fried eggs and toast, melting at the deliciousness of the American-style breakfast. 
    "Tao, can I kidnap you to cook for my house?" I asked, making Tao smile shyly. He laughed softly, looking up when a very disorganized Kris appeared. 
    "Good morning, sweetheart." Tao said sweetly, standing to give Kris a kiss. Kris kissed him back sweetly, then ran his hand through his hair. 
    "Food. Now. Where?" Kris grunted, still looking half asleep. Tao rolled his eyes, taking in everything from Kris' crazy hair to his rumpled pajamas and solitary slipper. 
    "In the kitchen, Tarzan. Where it is every morning..." Tao muttered, rolling his eyes teasingly. Kris mumbled his thanks, tottering off to the kitchen. 
    "He only had one slipper on." I pointed out, making Tao roll his eyes again. He turned back to the tv, picking up his plate. 
    "Be grateful he had pants on." Tao said, making me laugh. He nodded towards Daehyun asleep in my lap and gave me a serious look. 
    "Don't break that boy's heart. It's taken him years to learn how to love again, and he still doesn't know what he's doing most of the time. It's your job to show him." Tao said seriously, making me nod. 
    "But we aren't—" I started, intending to inform Tao we weren't dating, we were just friends, but Tao beat me to it.    
    "—dating? Not yet. Trust me, I can see how he looks at you, Kris can too. Whether he knows it or not, Daehyun is in love with you." Tao smiled, giving me a look that said he had been exactly where I was. 
    "How do you know? How do you know he loves me, how do you know I can fix him? He's so broken." I asked, looking at Tao for guidance. He put his empty plate down gently, giving me a caring look. 
    "Because I've already fixed someone. I know you have what it takes to do the same, and I want you to know I'm here to help you whenever you need to talk." Tao said. He looked up, his entire mood changing when Kris walked into the room. 
    I remembered what Daehyun had said last night, that Kris was an orphan too. Had Kris been as broken as Daehyun before he met Tao? If so, I couldn't tell. He and Tao fit so well together, and were so loving all the time. Could Daehyun and I be that way? I looked down at the boy asleep on my lap, deciding I would do everything I could to help him. But was I in love?
    "Morning, sleepyhead." Tao's voice interrupted my thoughts, and I looked down at Daehyun. He opened his eyes, sitting up carefully, and looked around. 
    "Good morning." Daehyun said, his voice rusty from sleep. He looked at me, and I smiled reassuringly. I could tell he remembered everything from last night, and he wrapped his arms around me in another hug. 
    "Thank you so much." Daehyun whispered in my ear, and I nodded back. He stood, walking to the kitchen and making plates clatter. Tao shot me a knowing look, then smiled fondly at Kris. The tall man was dozing in another armchair, his fork halfway to his mouth and dripping eggs on his shirt. 
    I expected to Tao to scold him, and was shocked when Tao held up his phone and snapped a few pictures. He caught me looking, and grinned. Holding up the phone and waving it triumphantly, Tao winked cheekily. 
    "Best Christmas card picture ever, and definitely my newest phone background." Tao whispered, making me giggle. Daehyun appeared with his breakfast and we ate together on the couch, snuggled up closely. 
    About halfway through the meal, Tao prodded Kris with the poker used for the fireplace and he woke with a very unattractive snort. He looked down, cursing when he saw his shirt, and looked at the laughing Tao. 
    "You let me do that?! You know this is my favorite shirt!" Kris exclaimed, storming off towards the bedroom and making Tao and I erupt in laughter. 
    "I've been trying to make him get rid of that shirt for ages now!" Tao announced in between laughs. Daehyun even chuckled a little, and I was glad he had perked up since last night. 
    "Tao called into school and told them we were sick, so we have the day off." I told Daehyun. He nodded, standing up and going off to shower. 
    Tao roped me into doing the dishes with him, but I didn't mind. We had fun talking while we worked, Tao making me laugh with stories about Kris. I especially loved the one about how they had met. 
    "Kris is three years older than me, as you know. Even though I'm 19, I decided to take online classes instead of going to an official college, easier for Kris' work. Even though he said he was a doctor when you first met him, he's actually still just a student. He gets paid to shadow doctors and help them with their work. The first time I saw Kris, he had been stood up by his date and decided to get dinner anyway at the restaurant I work at. I saw him, the tall, lonely medical student sadly poring over a textbook and fell in love with him right there. 
    "I walked over and introduced myself and we starting talking. At first, he acted like a total . But I knew it was just an act, and resolved to find out what was really underneath his cold exterior. Before I knew it, he was coming back every night to eat dinner and talk. 
    "It took a year for him to ask me out, but it was worth all the time in the world. I had finally coaxed him out of his shell, and we both have been the happiest together since then. Trust me, you'll get through to Daehyun. It might not be the easiest thing, but when you do, it will be perfect. I promise." Tao concluded his story with a wistful smile, scrubbing the egg skillet hard and looking in the direction Kris had gone. 
    "That sounds...beautiful." I said, sharing a happy smile with Tao. Tao dramatically sighed and swooned, making both of us laugh. He shook his head, handing me the skillet to dry and moving on to the next dish. 
    We finished up the dishes and turned to go back to the living room. Daehyun suddenly appeared, his hair dripping wet and wearing only jeans. I tried not to stare at the lean muscles of his torso, instead turning away to the dishes and pretending to scrub off an imaginary spot on a glass.  
    "Do you have a shirt I could borrow?" Daehyun asked Tao, making the older man nod and cluck his tongue. 
    "Go ask Kris, he's in the bedroom—pouting like a little girl!" Tao yelled the last part towards the bedroom, his hands on his hips. 
    "I am not!" Kris yelled back through the closed door. Tao rolled his eyes, repeating Kris in a high voice. 
    "I am not!" Tao squeaked a good three octaves higher. The door swung open, and Kris stormed out, wearing his pajama pants and a new shirt. 
    "And I do not sound like that!" Kris said, walking towards Tao. For a second I was worried, Kris sounded genuinely angry. 
    "I love you too, baby." Tao said, kissing Kris on the lips and making him pause. Kris crossed his arms, pouting. 
    "That's not fair, you know you always win when you do that." Kris said stubbornly, sounding like a child. Tao winked, pinching Kris' cheek and told him to find Daehyun a shirt. 
    "Yes, master." Kris muttered sarcastically and Tao swatted him with the dish towel. Kris and Daehyun walked off down the hall and Tao called after them. 
    "Good minion! I just might feed you tonight!" Tao said. I laughed, and Tao turned to me with a wink.
    "Well trained I have him, yes I have." Tao said, imitating the Smeagol from The Lord of the Rings. To make it funnier, he had put the pink apron back on and wiggled his hips suggestively. 
    "That one should fit okay..." Kris and Daehyun appeared from the hall, this time both of them clothed. They kept talking until Kris was cut off by Tao abruptly launching himself onto Kris' back and hanging on. 
    "Precious has returned!" Tao said, squeaking when Kris dislodged him and set him down on his feet. 
    "Why did I agree to date you?" Kris muttered, rolling his eyes and walking to pour himself some tea. 
    "You don't...want to date me?" Tao asked in a hurt voice, tears misting his eyes. Kris turned around just as he started to cry, sobs making his chest heave. Panic filled Kris' eyes as he immediately caught Tao's wrists and pulled his hands away from his face. 
    "I'm sorry! I didn't mean it, I want to date you! I'm sorry!" Kris exclaimed, hugging Tao tightly. Tao wiped his eyes, looking up at Kris imploringly. I stayed frozen in shock, feeling the same disbelieving look on my face that Daehyun had. 
    "Really? Do you love me?" Tao asked. Kris nodded his head patiently, looking at Tao closely. 
    "Say it." Tao prompted. Kris closed his eyes and stepped back. 
    "Wo ai ni." Kris said. Tao looked delighted, pinched Kris' cheek and cackled madly. Kris, realizing he had been tricked, opened his mouth to argue and was stopped by Tao.
    "My preciousssss." Tao hissed, leaping onto Kris and smothering him with kisses. Kris yelled, stumbling around and trying to detach Tao. 
    "I'm under attack!" Kris yelled. "Daehyun, help me!" Daehyun just shook his head, laughing with me at Kris stumbling around the kitchen with Tao attached to his torso. 
    "God, get off me you barnacle!" Kris said, trying to unhook Tao's legs from their perch around his back and his arms from around his chest. 
    "Never!" Tao said, holding on tightly as Kris stumbled into the living room and crashed down on his stomach on the couch, crushing Tao. 
    "Ow, get off me you giant! I'm not feeding you this much, you're heavy!" Tao exclaimed. Kris sat up, laughing and shaking his head. Tao started pouting, and Kris immediately leaned in and began tickling Tao mercilessly. Over Tao's shrieks for help, I turned to Daehyun and shook my head. 
    "You have the weirdest friends ever."   

Hello everyone! Since I didn't update yesterday, I made an extra long update again today. I hope everyone likes it, I tried to make it sort of funny... Please comment, subscribe and upvote, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
—Taoris95