Hospital

Save Me

    My ears rang uncomfortably, and my head hurt. I kept my eyes closed, feeling a slow ache of pain spread spread from my head to my shoulder. There was an uncomfortable pressure across my chest, and little stinging pains across my arm and face demanded my attention. I slowly opened my eyes, a little at the light. 
    My mouth felt dry, and I was disoriented. I looked down, seeing the pressure on my chest was caused by my seat belt. I moaned again, stopped from moving again from the pain in my head. I looked around, seeing something that made me pause. 
    I was upside down. I didn't know how I knew, I could just feel it. I looked around, remembering driving with Kris, Tao and Daehyun. After that, nothing. I tried to move my arm, but a voice stopped me. 
    "Hyowon?" I shifted my eyes up to the front seat, seeing Kris looking back at me. He had a cut on his forehead from glass, and grimaced in pain.    
    "Kris, what happened?" I asked. Kris took a deep breath, shifting forward slightly and wincing again. 
    "Hyowon, try to stay as still as possible. Don't move your head or your neck until we're sure you didn't break anything." Kris said, reaching up carefully to feel his own neck and down his back. I winced when I saw his right arm; glass had shredded his forearm, and a steady stream of blood flowed. 
    "Hyowon, can you see Daehyun without moving?" Kris asked. I looked out the corner of my eye, seeing Daehyun next to me, also suspended by his seat belt. 
    "Yeah. He's unconscious." I said, making Kris nod. He slowly pushed himself up, crawling towards me carefully. Kris undid my seatbelt, helping me sit slowly. The car was at a weird angle, and I was sitting on the pavement of the street where the roof had been crushed out of place. 
    "What hurts?" Kris asked. I shrugged, looking down slowly at my arm. It was dotted with pieces of glass, and my shoulder had a growing bruise from the seat belt. 
    "My head. But my neck is okay." I said. Kris nodded, gently touching my neck with his blood soaked fingers. He nodded after a second, wincing. 
    "As far as I can tell, nothing is broken. Maybe a concussion and some whiplash, but I think you'll be okay." Kris said. I looked up towards the front seat, seeing Tao start to stir. 
    "Kris, Tao's waking up. Is anyone coming to help us?" I asked. Kris didn't answer, but went back to the front seat. Tao woke with a whimper, opening his eyes slowly and biting his lip. 
    "Baby, what hurts?" Kris asked, his voice more gentle than I'd ever heard it. Tao didn't answer, trying his shift his leg. He screamed, and Kris touched his shoulder gently. 
    "My leg's stuck." Tao ground out. I looked up, trying to find a way to get out of the car. Daehyun was still unconscious next to me, breathing shallowly. Glass had cut his face, and his arm looked like he had broke it somehow. 
    "Just calm down. Don't try to move it yet, help will be here soon." Kris said soothingly, taking Tao's hand. He looked back at me, and I took Tao's other hand. 
    A siren sounded in the distance, and in a few minutes an ambulance pulled up. We heard men get out, and Kris started speaking with one of them. 
    "Get them out first." Kris said, gesturing to the back of the car. I heard an engine start up, and something pried my door open. 
    "Grab my hand, sweetheart." I obeyed, letting a nice looking man pull me carefully out of the car. He set me down on the ground, and turned to get Daehyun. 
    "Alright, let's get them checked out." I was strapped to a headboard, and put in the ambulance. Daehyun was next to me, and I watched him breathe. He still hadn't woken up, and I was worried. 
    "Will our friends be okay?" I asked the man, and he looked at me gently. 
    "I'm sure they'll be fine. I'm Jiyong, what's your name?" Jiyong asked nicely. He looked about Kris' age, and gave me a small smile. 
    "I'm Hyowon." I said, my dry lips. He nodded, scribbling something down on a clipboard and turning away. 
    We reached the hospital, and I was taken to a room where they ran tests on my head. I just had a small concussion, as Kris had predicted. I didn't know how Daehyun was, and it worried me. What if he didn't wake up?
    "Here's your room. Sleep well, call if you need anything." My nurse said, leading me to a small room. I was supposed to stay overnight for observation, and she had promised to call my family. 
    I climbed into the bed, curling up on my side and closing my eyes. I fell asleep quickly, utterly exhausted, swirling into fitful dreams.   

    I woke up slowly, surprised to see a very tense cluster of boys at the foot of my bed. I blinked, frowning when my friends gasped collectively and leaned forward. 
    "Hyowon, how are you feeling?" Yong Guk asked, taking my hand gently. I blinked, yawning, and sat up. Himchan put a pillow behind me and I leaned back gratefully. 
    "I'm doing okay. Just kind of tired. How are the others?" I asked. The boys sighed in relief, looking better now I was doing okay. 
    "Noona, we were so worried!" Jong Up said. The rest nodded, and Zelo still looked worried. 
    "Are you sure you're okay?" Yong Guk asked. I nodded, giving them a small smile, and asked again after my friends.
    "Kris is waiting outside, he just needed stitches. Do you want to see him?" Youngjae asked. I nodded, and Youngjae went to get Kris. 
    "How are Tao and Daehyun?" I asked. Himchan shrugged sadly, looking down. 
    "Tao broke his leg, and Daehyun woke up a few hours ago. He broke his collarbone, but other than that he's okay." Himchan said. I gasped, feeling deep sympathy for Tao and Daehyun. 
    "How are you doing?" Kris strode into my room, looking tired. I nodded, observing the dark circles under his eyes and knew he hadn't slept well. 
    "I'm okay. How are you?" I asked. Kris raised his arm, exposing a long white bandage, and I saw a line of small band aids on his forehead.
    "I'm fine. How is your head?" Kris asked, laying a large hand gently on my forehead. I shrugged, sitting up further. 
    "How's Tao?" I asked, seeing Kris' eyes flare with pain. I felt bad for Kris, hating he had to see the man he loved hurt like this.
    "He's pretty drugged up right now. He broke both the bones in his left calf, but it was a clean break." Kris said, and I hugged him. I noticed the rest of my friends watching and motioned them out of the room. They obeyed, and I gestured for Kris to sit on my bed. 
    "How are you really?" I asked, looking at Kris. He sighed, folding his hands in his lap, and looked at me with b eyes. 
    "It's my fault. I was driving, I should have been more careful." Kris said, tears dripping down his cheek. I embraced him, rubbing his back gently. 
    "Don't say that! It was no one's fault. Tao and Daehyun and I know that, we don't blame you. It was an accident." I said. Kris pulled back, looking at me uncertainly. 
    "Really?" Kris sniffed. I wiped his tears with the back of my hand, careful to avoid the bruises on his face. 
    "Yes. Don't worry about it. Focus on healing and being with Tao." I said. Kris nodded, giving himself a shake, and stood. 
    "Do you want to see Daehyun?" Kris asked. I nodded, standing up carefully. I saw how Kris' hand hovered by my side, ready to catch me if I fell, and knew I had found a true friend. 
    We walked out into the hall, past my friends, and finally stopped in front of a room. Kris swung the door open, and I walked in with him. I saw Daehyun sleeping propped up on pillows, his arm in a sling. 
    "Daehyun, wake up. Hyowon's here." Kris said. He tapped Daehyun's hand gently and Daehyun woke up. I waved at him, and he smiled softly. 
    "Hyowon. Are you okay?" Daehyun asked. I was surprised he had been able to smile. I thought the crash would've brought back horribly memories for him, made him colder than before. 
    "I'm fine! How are you?" I asked. As soon as I said I was fine, Daehyun's expression changed. His mouth went hard, his eyes changed to steel, and he spoke in a firm voice. 
    "Then get out." Daehyun said meanly, looking away. I froze in shock, wondering what had happened. 
    "What?" I said quietly. Daehyun looked back at me hostilely, then looked away again. 
    "I said get out. I don't want you here." Daehyun said. Kris stepped forward, but I stopped him. 
    "Why?" I asked, on the verge of tears. 
    "Hospitals are for sick people, like me. You shouldn't be here. Go home. Don't talk to me." Daehyun said, his voice cold as ice. 
    "What do you mean?" I asked, my voice cracking as I swallowed a lump of tears. Daehyun stared straight at me, his eyes narrowed to crescents, and growled the next words. 
    "I said get out! Don't talk to me! I don't want to ever see you again!" Daehyun yelled, making me step back in shock. He had never yelled at me, or looked at me with so much anger. Or pain. 
    "O-okay. Goodbye, Daehyun." I said, tears slipping out. I turned to go, hoping he would stop me. I paused at his voice, feeling my heart crumble. 
    "Don't forget to close the door." Daehyun ordered, and I dropped my head. Kris stayed inside as I closed the door slowly, sliding down the wall outside it and burying my head in my hands. 
    I sobbed, hot tears pouring down my cheeks and doing nothing to fix the hurt feeling in my heart. I thought Daehyun liked me, I thought we were friends. I touched the bracelet on my wrist, feeling so betrayed. After a while, I was too dried up for tears. I sat there, my shoulders shaking with dry sobs and mouth open in silent pain. 
    "It's okay." Kris pulled me gently to my feet, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me tight to his broad chest. I leaned against him, crying as hard as I could. Kris rocked me back and forth, mumbling soothing words in my ear. 
    "He hates me!" I choked out, sitting with Kris in a chair. Kris shook his head sadly, wiping my tears and rubbing my back. 
    "He doesn't hate you. He's just very broken." 

DAEHYUN'S POV

    I shouted hateful words at her I didn't mean, the pain of my heart overtaking the pain of my broken bone a hundredfold. I would rather have shattered every bone in my body than yell at Hyowon like this. I could see how much I was hurting her, and it was killing me. 
    "Don't forget to close the door." I said, instead of calling her back to me and begging her to forgive me. I loved her, and I couldn't afford to hurt her anymore. 
    Everyone who had ever loved me had gotten hurt, and I wouldn't be causing her any more pain like this. Better for her to hate me than end up dead like my parents. Hyowon left, closing the door, and Kris exploded. 
    "You bastard! Why did you do that?! You just broke that girl's heart!" Kris yelled at me, shaking with anger. I looked down, knowing exactly what I'd done. 
    "I know." I said. Kris yelled at me some more, but I already knew everything he said. I was ungrateful, didn't deserve her, hateful, a bastard, an . 
    "Why did you do it?" Kris asked after a moment of silence, sounding a little calmer. I looked up at him, meeting his eyes unflinchingly. 
    "Because I love her."