Caramel Macchiatos

Save Me

    I went downstairs, not even looking at Yong Guk while I fixed my breakfast. I truly hated him right now, and wasn't ready to look at the bruises on his face. He was silent, shooting me guilty looks while I slammed a bowl down and sloshed cereal and milk into it. I swore under my breath and mopped up the milk that had spilled, eating quickly and rushing out the door. 
    I saw Zelo approaching from his house, but I ignored him. I turned  walking quickly to avoid him, and looked around for Jong Up and Youngjae. They were nowhere to be found, and I arrived at school. I walked to Daehyun's locker, waiting for him to come, and turned the corner. 
    I stopped, pulling back hurriedly at what I saw and poking my head around the corner. Youngjae and Himchan had Daehyun backed against a stone wall, talking to him in low voices. Daehyun listened, looking first angry, then nodding in understanding.     
    "Okay. I understand. I'll do it." Daehyun said. Youngjae and Himchan turned to go, and I quickly walked back a few steps. I wondered what was going on with the boys, and went up to check on Daehyun. 
    "Hey, Dae." I smiled, bouncing up to him and turning his head carefully. His eye was still purple, the cut over his eye red, but he looked slightly better. He didn't move as painfully as yesterday, and looked up when I called. 
    "Hey." Daehyun said shortly, closing his locker and looking away. I frowned, hurrying to catch up with him.  
    "What's wrong?" I asked. Daehyun shook his head, cold eyes meeting mine for a moment then flicking away. 
    "Nothing. I'm fine." Daehyun said, sounding very un-fine. I frowned again, putting my hand on his arm to stop him and he jerked back. At first I thought I'd hurt him, but I saw no pain in his face. 
    "What's going on?" I asked, confused. Daehyun was treating me as though I had done something wrong. 
    "You should go to class." Daehyun said, apparently forgetting we had science together this morning. 
    "We have science. Aren't we walking together?" I asked, looking at Daehyun and biting my lip. He looked away, shouldering his backpack and shrugging it into place. 
    "I'd prefer to go alone." Daehyun said coldly, walking off down the hall. I stared after him, wondering what I had done now. First Yong Guk, Zelo, now Daehyun?
    "Jong Up!" I called suddenly, seeing him walk down the hall. He turned quickly, looking confused and dropping the books he was holding. I sighed, going over and helping him pick everything up. 
    "Ne, noona?" Jong asked, looking at me warily. I handed him his books and he nodded his thanks. 
    "Do you know what's going on with everyone?" I asked. Jong Up looked away, shifting nervously and cracking his knuckles. 
    "I have no idea about Youngjae and Himchan." Jong Up said, not mentioning the other three. I looked at him expectantly and Jong Up frowned. 
    "What's wrong with Yong Guk and Zelo?" I asked. Jong Up finally relented, nodding and spilling it all. 
    "Yong Guk's just really protective. And Zelo really likes you and doesn't want Daehyun to hurt you and just kind of got mad. They're both really sorry. They want to talk to you." Jong Up said. I nodded, never realizing how much Zelo cares. 
    "What about Daehyun?" I asked. Jong Up thought for minute, shrugging finally. 
    "I don't know. I don't really talk to him much." Jong Up said. I nodded, going off to class when the bell rang. 
    I saw next to Daehyun in science, but he didn't so much as look at me. He stared ahead, attitude and anger in the hard curve of his mouth and the coldness of his eyes. I was miserable all through class, my thoughts swirling in circles about reasons for Daehyun to be mad at me. By the end of class, I had made no progress and I was driving myself crazy. 
    "I'm going to the library. Do you want to come?" I asked Daehyun, frowning when he shrugged. 
    "Do whatever you want. You don't have to tell me about it." Daehyun said angrily, making me widen my eyes. He had never been so mean to me!
    I turned, grabbing my backpack and rushing out of the classroom. I ran to the library, losing myself in the labyrinth of shelves and bursting into tears. I covered my mouth with my hand, trying to stop the sobs that kept trying to escape. I was so wrapped up in myself that I didn't notice the startled boy watching me from the floor by the bookshelf. 
    "Are you okay?" he said timidly, making me jump. He looked at me, pushing his hipster glasses up higher on his nose and clutching the camera around his neck. 
    "What? Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry for bothering you." I sniffed, tears still slipping down. He shook his head, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a tissue. 
    "Here. You're not bothering me." he said. He held out the tissue, and I took it gratefully, trying to recognize him. Finally, I put it together. 
    "You're Taemin." I said, looking for confirmation. Taemin nodded, bowing a little, and shifting.
    "You're Hyowon. You're a year older than me, right?" Taemin asked. I nodded, wiping up the last of my tears. 
    "Yeah." I said, sitting down next to him. I remembered Taemin only hung out with three other people, and I looked around. 
    "Where are Jonghyun and Onew?" I asked. Taemin shrugged, looking away and fiddling with his camera. 
    "Studying. Why were you crying?" Taemin asked innocently. I shrugged, shaking my head.
    "I don't want to be burdensome." I said. Taemin shook his head, nudging me on. 
    "You won't be. I'm just curious." Taemin shrugged. I managed a small smile, nudging his shoulder. 
    "You're so curious." I smiled. Taemin smiled sweetly, his eyes narrowing to crescents. 
    "Tell me. I don't mind." Taemin said. I sighed, leaning back against the lockers and telling him everything. 
    "I just don't know why he's being so mean!" I exclaimed finally. Taemin nodded understanding, carefully considering before he answered. 
    "You said you saw Youngjae and Himchan talking to Daehyun. And before that he was fine, right?" Taemin asked, continuing when I nodded. "Maybe they said something." 
    "You mean them too?! Now I only have Jong Up!" I exclaimed. Taemin laughed, and I laughed too. 
    "But seriously, it might be that. Ah, jinja?! Those idiots." I said, wondering again why boys couldn't just get along. 
    "Thanks for your help." I said seriously. Taemin shrugged, smiling at me and waving over two boys. 
    "Hey, I mean, people underestimate my psych skills!" Taemin joked. We laughed, and Jonghyun and Onew walked over slowly. 
    "Whatcha doin'?" Onew asked. Taemin shrugged, introducing me. Both boys bowed, Jonghyun still looking half-asleep.  
    "The bell rang." Jonghyun stated sleepily, jerking his thumb towards the hallway. I leapt up, realizing I was gonna be late. 
    "Bye, thanks for all the help! Good to meet you!" I called back, rushing off to class. 

    I went into the coffee shop, not talking to Zelo as I took my spot at the register. Our rhythm was off today, we kept bumping arms and spilling things. I avoided eye contact, finally being forced to look at Zelo when he grabbed my arm and led me to the back room. 
    "Look, I'm really sorry. I was being super stupid, I shouldn't have done any of that." Zelo said meaningfully, looking at me. His eyes begged forgiveness, and I nodded. 
    "Okay. But don't ever do that again." I said. Zelo nodded, smiling, and I looked at his face. He had a bruise on his cheekbone and a cut on his neck, but he looked much better than Daehyun. 
    "You got him good." I said. Zelo nodded regretfully, looking away. I hugged him, glad I had gotten one friend back. I understood Zelo didn't intentionally beat up Daehyun, his temper just got the better of him. Yong Guk was still another story, though. 
    "Come on, we have a customer." I said, hearing the bell on the door ding. We went back out, and I paused when I saw Daehyun. 
    "Do you want me to?" Zelo asked. I shook my head, taking a deep breath and walking behind the cash register. 
    "I got it." I said. Daehyun looked up at my face, carefully making his a blank mask. He walked up briskly, looking at the chalkboard menu on the wall behind me. 
    "Hey, Daehyun. How are you?" I said carefully. Daehyun gave me an annoyed look, stuffing his hands in his pockets. 
    "Can I just order?" Daehyun asked rudely. I nodded, looking down at his tone and fiddling with my apron. 
    "Of course." I cleared my throat, poising my finger over the register. "Your usual Caramel Macchiato?" I asked. 
    "No. Not something sweet today. It's a bitter day; one Americano." Daehyun said shortly, looking at me. I nodded, slightly surprised by his word choice.  
    "Oh—okay. Coming right up." I said, motioning for Zelo to make it. He pushed his long body off the counter he was leaning on, watching Daehyun while he made the Americano. 
    "Here you go." I wrote something quickly on Daehyun's cup, handing it to him. He took several napkins, thanking me shortly, and went to his usual table. I could see the writing on the cup from here—Talk to me—and I hoped my message would work. 
    I felt my heart deflate when Daehyun finished his coffee silently, not reading the side, and stood up. He cleared his table like he always did, looked side to side, and left one napkin in had center of the table. I looked back, seeing Zelo in the kitchen, and saw Daehyun blow me a quick kiss and walk away. 
    I froze for a minute, not sure what to think, then went to scoop up the napkin. I read the short message on it over and over, not believing it. 

Can't talk here. Tonight, 9:00. In front of your house, don't tell anyone. —Daehyun <3

 

Gosh, what's up with all the boys? Yes, I was listening to Coffee by BTS when I wrote this, acknowledge the caramel macchiato and Americano switch please! Everyone, please comment subscribe and upvote! Kamsamnida!

Dedicated to my unni, who's working hard studying! I know you won't see this tonight, but good luck on everything! Hwaiting, saranghae!

—Taoris95