Notes

Save Me

DAEHYUN'S POV

    I woke up slowly, blinking my eyes open on the couch. Kris was asleep with his mouth open in the chair next to me and I could hear Tao rattling pans in the kitchen. He appeared a few minutes later balancing three plates of breakfast. 
    "Here, eat. You need to keep your strength up." Tao said. I pushed away the plate he put on the table in front of me, shaking my head. 
    "I'm not hungry." I muttered, not feeling like eating at all. My heart ached dully with each beat, my eyes gazing emptily at the wall. 
    "I'll eat it!" Kris volunteered, scooping my food onto his plate. Tao stopped him with a sharp rap to his wrist from his wooden spoon, and Kris put my food back. 
    "Daehyun, EAT." Tao said, giving me a look that could terrify a dragon. Apparently it did, because Kris shifted back nervously, watching us carefully and scooping food into his mouth.   
    I obediently put a tiny bite in my mouth, chewing slowly. The food tasted like ashes, and burned its way down my throat. I choked down most of my food, under the watchful eye of Tao.  
    "Here." Tao handed me a glass of juice, which went down easier. I nodded my thanks, offering the rest of my food to Kris. He took it, disappearing to go get ready for work. 
    "Alright, tell me what happened." Tao said. He sat next to me, fixing me with a hard stare. I took a deep breath, knowing he wouldn't leave me alone. 
    "I'm leaving now! Daehyun, don't let him pester you too much!" Kris said, straightening his jacket and walking past. Tao kissed him, shoving him playfully towards the door. 
    "Go, you're gonna be late!" Tao said. Kris laughed, walking out. Tao sat back down on the couch, motioning for me to start talking. 
    "Her brother doesn't like me." I started. Tao raised one eyebrow, but I kept talking. "He told me to stay away from her. His friends also want me to stay away from her. They think I'll break her heart or something." 
    "Jongchan, Youngdae and Himwoo?" Tao broke in. I gave him a look like he was an idiot and rolled my eyes. 
    "No, Jong Up had nothing to do with it." I said. Tao nodded thoughtfully, motioning for me to continue. 
    "Then the Jung's told me they're moving me to Daegu. They found a family they think 'will be able to deal better with my unique situation'." I spat. Tao stared at me incredulously, shaking his head. 
    "Then what did you do?" Tao asked. I shrugged, cracking my knuckles one by one. 
    "Then Himchan and Youngjae approached me, said they had a plan. I agreed to it. This way Hyowon won't worry about me when I leave, and she can move on with Zelo." I shrugged. Tao gave me a knowing look, shaking his head. 
    "I take it Himwoo and Youngdae's plan isn't going so well." Tao said. I sighed in frustration, knowing he would never get their names right. He was terrible with remembering Korean names. 
    "I should be happy she's happy. I should be glad she has Zelo, he loves her and they'll be happy." I sighed. 
    "But?" Tao asked gently, watching me intently. 
    "But I'm not. I'm selfish, I want to be able to stay with her. I don't want to make her hate me like this, but I have to." I said sadly. I flinched when Tao smacked the back of my head, frowning at me. 
    "You pabo! You cherish this time with her, you don't waste it! You're running out of chances, better start making them count!" Tao said frustratedly. I rubbed my head, frowning. 
    "It won't work now. She hates me, she thinks I was cheating on her." I said. Tao sighed, folding his hands in front of his chest and thinking. 
    "This will take planning, but I might be able to get you two back together." Tao said. I shook my head, giving up. 
    "What's the point? I'm leaving when school gets out in two weeks." I said miserably. Tao shook his head, thinking.
    "We can do it. We'll just need some help. Call Jongchan, we'll need his help." Tao said, holding out his phone. I dialed in Jong Up's number, greeting him when he picked up on the first ring. 
    "Yoboseyo?" Jong Up said. Tao leaned forward eagerly, holding his hands out for the phone. I swatted him away, and he frowned, reaching forward again. 
    "Jong Up, can you help me with something?" I asked. Jong Up's happy voice immediately responded, and I could imagine him smiling. 
    "Of course, hyung! What do you need?" Jong Up chirped. 
    "I need help getting Hyowon back." I said, fearing he would hang up on me right then and there. 
    "Oh good! She's been miserable since you cheated on her!" Jong Up said, not accusingly at all. 
    "I didn't cheat on her, it was all a mistake. Listen, my friend has a plan, I'm gonna pass him the phone. Hold on," I said. I handed the phone to Tao. 
    "So, Jongchan, here's my plan..." Tao started rattling off instructions so quickly even I didn't catch all of them. Poor Jong Up must be so confused! 
    "Okay, I'm giving Daehyun the phone now." Tao said, handing me back the phone. I took it, fearing for the Jong Up's sanity. 
    "Jong Up?" I asked, hearing silence on the other end. "You okay?" It took a few seconds, but he finally responded. 
    "...just a few questions." Jong Up said nervously. I said to go ahead, and frowned when I heard the first question. "Hyung, who's Jongchan?" 
    This was gonna be a long week.  

HYOWON'S POV

    I stretched in bed, sitting up and picking up the book on my bedside table. I read for a few hours, then padded into the bathroom. After I'd showered, I dressed in some clean clothes and went outside to do some gardening in the front yard. I was planting tulips when Jong Up skateboarded up. 
    "Hello, Moon Angel!" I smiled. He smiled back, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a piece of paper. 
    "For you, noona." Jong Up said, holding it out mysteriously and rolling away as quickly as he'd come. I looked down at the note, wondering what Jong Up was doing. 

I'm sorry. Meet me at the park at 12:00; I'll explain everything. —Daehyun <3

    I frowned, crumpling the note into a ball and throwing it into the can used for plant clippings. I went back to gardening, ignoring the blur of angry tears and planting viciously. After I'd worked up a good sweat planting, I went inside and took another shower. 
    I fixed myself a healthy lunch, watching 12:00 come and go, the minutes ticking by. I didn't care about Daehyun at all, I wasn't going to meet him anytime soon. I decided to go on a short bike ride around the neighborhood, taking in the spring Saturday afternoon. 
    Without realizing it, I took myself right by the park. I checked my watch, and found it was 1:30 by now. Daehyun was long gone, and I rode through the park. I stopped for a moment on the bench we had sat at so many times, and sat down for old time's sake. 
    I unscrewed my water bottle, taking a long drink. I dropped the cap under the bench and sighed in frustration, reaching underneath for it. Instead, my fingers brushed a piece of paper, and I pulled on it out of curiosity. It was taped to the bottom of the bench, and I carefully brought it out. 

I knew you would come. Meet me at the coffee shop at 3:00. —Daehyun <3 

    I crumpled this note too, tossing it in the park trash can and pedaling away. Daehyun knows everything, does he? I won't go to the coffee shop today then! Then I remembered I promised to pick up a sweatshirt for Zelo he left there. Crap. 
    I'll just go at 4:00. I started pedaling home, and met Jong Up sitting on his skateboard outside my house with Zelo. I greeted them, and Jong Up waved a greeting. 
    "Stop giving me notes!" I said. Jong Up gave me an innocent look, the kind that says he knows exactly what I'm talking about but doesn't want to admit it. 
    "What notes?" Jong Up asked. I growled in frustration, going inside my house. I showered yet again, desperate to get the sticky feeling of sweat off, and froze at a familiar voice. 
    "Who showers three times in one day?" Himchan was sitting on the couch when I came down in shorts and a tank top. I froze, wondering how long he had been there. 
    "Why are you here?" I asked. I was quickly losing patience with everyone, from Jong Up's sneaky notes, Daehyun's cheating, and Himchan's greasiness. 
    "It's hot outside." Himchan said, flipping through channels. He was on a piece of ice, and he offered me one from the cup on the table. 
    "Where's your shirt?" I asked, looking away and refusing the ice. Himchan shrugged, and leaned back on the couch. 
    "Somewhere over there." Himchan gestured vaguely behind him and I huffed in frustration. 
    "Don't you have your own house?!" I exclaimed. Himchan smiled at me, winking suggestively and waggling his eyebrow. 
    "But you're so much fun to tease, I'd rather come here!" Himchan smiled. I threw my hands up, walking outside and finding Jong Up and Zelo gone. 
    It was 3:45 now, late enough to go to the shop. I walked inside, looking around warily, but I couldn't find Daehyun. I walked into the back, picking up Zelo's sweatshirt and looking cautiously at the note that fell out. 

I knew you wouldn't meet me just yet. Too stubborn, my love. Last chance, meet me at the ice cream parlor. I hope you'll come, I'm running out of paper and hope. —Daehyun <3

    I shifted from foot to food, debating. I should just give Zelo his sweatshirt and go home, leave it at that. But I wanted to see Daehyun. Sure, he was a lying, cheating , but maybe I should listen to what he has to say. Or tell him in person what I think of his notes. 
    "Fine! I'll go!" I said out loud, sighing in frustration. I noticed Daehyun didn't list a time, so I just started walking to the ice cream parlor. 
    I finally reached it and went inside, looking around. I saw a very depressed Daehyun slurping a chocolate milkshake moodily in the corner with Tao and Jong Up. The other boys were trying to talk to them, but Daehyun ignored them. He actually looked really sad...but I don't care!
    "Daehyun!" I called angrily, walking over and planting my hands on my hips. Daehyun looked up, a stupid grin spreading over his face when he heard me. It was quickly replaced by his broken look, but I hadn't missed it. Tao and Jong Up stood up, brushing past me, and I caught Tao's arm. 
    "I'll deal with you later." I hissed. Tao gave me an innocent look, nudging Jong Up on. 
    "Who, me? Come on, give him a chance! Remember when I said he had a reason?" Tao asked, leaning in close. "I was right, as always. He does, and it's a good one." 
    "Shut up!" I said, not as angrily as I intended. Tao gave me a knowing look and a wink, flashing me with the 'call me' sign and sashaying away. 
    "Hyowon, sit down. Let's talk." Daehyun called timidly from the table. I sat down, but he shook his head.
    "Not here. There." Daehyun pointed towards the same patio we had sat at during our first date. He stood up, beckoning for me to follow. I did grudgingly, sitting down in the seat he pulled out for me. 
    "Now, just wait." Daehyun said, turning around and disappearing. He appeared later, holding a bouquet of flowers. I scoffed at the pitiful attempt, way too hurt for flowers to fix. 
    "Don't do that just yet. Please, just listen." Daehyun said, holding up a guitar and sitting down. I crossed my arms, going for nonchalant anger, but failed when he started playing. 
    It was a song I'd heard before, Coffee by BTS, but this time it sounded different. I'd never noticed how beautiful Daehyun's voice was before, or how much this song spoke to me. When he was finished, I was close to tears. 
    "What do you think?" Daehyun asked carefully, setting aside the guitar. I took a deep breath, trying to stay angry. 
    "Why were you with that girl?" I asked, making Daehyun look down. 
    "I wasn't. I was trying to make you hate me." Daehyun said. I huffed in frustration, twirling a piece of hair around my finger. 
    "Why? I thought you weren't going to do that anymore." I said. Daehyun looked down, fiddling with his hands. 
    "I'm—I'm moving to Daegu." Daehyun said. I froze, unable to believe what I'd heard. No matter how mad I'd been at Daehyun, I never stopped loving him. Now, he was moving away?
    "What?" I said. Daehyun looked at me seriously, frowning. 
    "The Jung's don't want me to live with them. I'm going to go live with the Kim's in Daegu. I thought it would be easier if you didn't have to live with wanting me to stay and seeing me go." Daehyun said. 
    "How can they just give you away like that?" I asked in disbelief. Daehyun shrugged, looking away. 
    "They were just foster parents. It's not like they adopted me. They obviously didn't care about me very much, and I don't really care about them. But I do care about you." Daehyun said, leaning forward. 
    "I didn't mean that. I meant, how can they be so stupid as to try to give someone like you away?" I asked. Daehyun lifted his eyes to meet mine, looking strangely hopeful. 
    "What?" Daehyun asked. I looked at him, thinking carefully. Was I going to do what I thought I was going to do? Yes. 
    "That girl meant nothing?" I asked, looking for confirmation. Daehyun nodded vigorously, not daring to look hopeful. 
    "Yes! I don't even know her name." Daehyun said. I leaned forward, smiling. 
    "Then I forgive you."