To The 'Old' House

Run Devil Run!!!

“Hyung, please …. Let’s go home …. This place is scary …. I’m scared ….”

Jongin keeps tugging the sleeve of Kyungsoo’s sweater but his brother doesn’t bother a bit to care. He literally has been whining since the first time they stepped his feet to this place.

He should have known this.

It was literally very suspicious of his brother to suddenly talk to him, not after he literally acted like Jongin didn’t exist in the world. Jongin had repeatedly apologized to his hyung, but it was taken like a stinky fart. He tried to open a communication but it failed, miserably. He had no idea what to say or do to his brother. He tried to call his parents before, asking them to help him buy a new phone for his brother but the response was really disappointing.

“No, Jongin, I don’t have money. Our restaurant is throwing up a party for a celebrity and only half of the budget has been paid yet. I don’t have that much money to give you.” His father refused.

“It’s your own fault, Jongin. If you didn’t behave so badly, that incident would not happen. You are not a little children again, you are adult now. You have to be responsible for ….”

Bla, bla, bla. Jongin didn’t listen to the rest of his mother's advice. It made his ear hot and red. The point was they didn’t want to help him.

He sighed. If he thought again, he should have been more grateful that he has a brother like Kyungsoo. Surely he is really like their mother, his favorite thing to do is nagging Jongin anytime he sees him lazing or messing up around. Kyungsoo really sometimes, forcing him to buy some groceries when he was playing PSP or making him clean the house after his hectic dance club at school. However, deep in his heart Kyungsoo is a really caring brother. He didn’t ask many things when Jongin came to his flat a year ago, crying after running away from home. He didn’t scold him and tell him to go back to live with their parents. He instead let him go living with him.

Jongin knows that his brother’s life is not easy too. He works after college in a restaurant for paying the bills they are having. It’s true that Kyungsoo’s college fee and Jongin’s school tuition are covered by their parents, so is the flat they are living now. However, all the food they eat every day and his pocket money are from Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo has been trying to be independent since he left their home two years ago, he has been struggling with everything. He keeps trying to stand on his own feet, going to college at day and working part time in a restaurant after that. He excels at college and works hard, something Jongin doesn’t see much from his brother’s peers.

Jongin should have been more considerate, thoughtful. If only he gave more time for Kyungsoo to relax, if only he didn’t force his will to watch that show, if only he weren’t so coward ….

That’s why he was so happy when his brother came home and finally talked to him. Kyungsoo just asked him to get into a car and together they picked Joonmyeon up at his home. Again, he should have been more suspicious, asking where the Kyungsoo got a car from, what Joonmyeon had to do with all their issues, and more importantly, where the hell they were going. But he didn’t ask. He was glad that his brother wanted to at least correlate with him once again, though stingy with words. He was trying to be cheerful and even more when Joonmyeon had been into the car. He was feeling bad about Kyungsoo’s occasionally hidden smirk, but he ignored his feeling. He didn’t care about the entire haze, he just lived up the situation in car, smiling, chuckling, laughing, trying to make his older brother crack into smile.

And it was a huge mistake.

He thought they were going to a cottage or such place. He kind of felt familiar when they got out of the main road and passed the winding path on the grassy hill. He somehow had seen this scene. The flowery bushes on the edges of the path, the huge camphor trees, the tall weeds, everything on the path. He had seen this somewhere but he couldn’t remember.

However the familiarity turned into creeping fright when he saw that gate. It was a big, rusty metal gate. It was brownish red, consisting only with pillars, without any door gate. On the top of each pillar there stood a hog statue, looking down at the trespasser with such vicious look. Joonmyeon yelped on the back, knowing already where they were, which only made Jongin feel more uneasy.

And he felt his heart ripped out of his chest when they stopped in front of that building.

It's Deokyong House, the house he saw on TV last night!

 

 

Jongin is looking at the surrounding. It is sunset already. The house is just few meter before them, already exposing devilish aura to them.

“Where is Joonmyeon-hyung?” Kyungsoo asked Jongin. Jongin shook his head. Terror is on his face.

“He might be taken away by ghosts already!”

“Nonsense, Jongin!”

And his brother face-palms himself when he gazes at his car.

“Of course he is in the car! What a scaredy cat!”

Kyungsoo walks to the car and Jongin can only follow him, well clutch to him actually. When they arrive at the cab’s door, a shivering Joonmyeon is visible under yellow blanket.

Kyungsoo opens the door. It is locked.

“WOAAA!!! Stop! Stop! Stop! Don’t take me! I am just a lost soul! My meat is not tender and yummy! Please, please! Go away! Leave me alone!”

“It’s I, hyung!”

Kyungsoo’s scream stops Joonmyeon’s shrieks. He peeks under his blanket and sighs when he sees them. He then open the door and grabs Kyungsoo's collar.

“Kyungsoo-ah! Why did you bring me here?”

Joonmyeon voice is piercing like knife.

“I brought you here because I want to sort everything with both of you. I am tired with all of your antics! I am sick of it! You are obsessed with ghost, right? So here we are! We will proof that there is no ghost! So you two will lose your interest with it!”

Kyungsoo shrugs his collar off of Joonmyeon's hands. Both Jongin and Joonmyeon whine.

 “I don’t want to come in there! I want to go home! Bring me home, Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “No, we will stay here tonight. We will be testing our courage and rummaging through the house to find out the so-called ghost in this house.”

“No way! Just turn on the car and we leave now!”

“Well, you can drive yourself, Hyung.”

“I, I, haven’t got my license.”

Kyungsoo chuckled. Joonmyeon is so law follower. He will never evade the law even though he is literally about to die. Joonmyeon’s frown grow sourer as he is witnessing Kyungsoo’s smirk.

“I want to go home! NOW! Take me home or I will call the police that you are kidnapping me!”

Jongin shakes him too.

“Yes, Hyung! Me too! I don’t care if you are my brother, I will tell to the police that you bring us here to kill us.

Kyungsoo smirks.

“Really? Too bad …. Well, I guess I have no option but taking you both home. Shame …. I have invited Kris already. He promised me to bring his cousin Krystal too. Well, no one’s on board with me, so …, I think I will just cancel this.”

Kyungsoo slowly and exaggeratingly takes his phone out.

“Wait! Kris is coming here too?” Joonmyeon asked.

“Yeah. With Krystal,” Kyungsoo playfully glances at Jongin. He can see that both of them are intrigued with the news.

“So, this is it then? We cancel this?”

Both Jongin and Joonmyeon sigh. They hate this but they are attached to it at the same time. Joonmyeon admires Kris since the first time he saw him, while Krystal is Jongin’s crush for a long time. Both of them are too shy to approach their targets and this occasion will probably give them chance to get closer to their respective love.

"Okay ...." Kyungsoo presses his phone but is halted by Joonmyeon’s hand.

“Wait …."

Kyungsoo frowns.

"What?"

"I guess, we can still stay here. Kris will be disappointed if you cancel this. Besides, I think it will be less scary if he comes along.”

“Really? Jongin, you want to go home, right?”

Jongin’s cheeks turn rosy as he speaks. “Well, I guess Krystal will be disappointed too if we cancel this.”

Kyungsoo has to suppress the urge to laugh and roll his eyes. He instead nods calmly, fist clenching in his attempt to stay cool.

“Alright. We are here tonight, spending our time in this lovely place. So …,” Kyungsoo opens the car’s trunk and lifts a sleeping bag from it, “while we are waiting for them, we can start unpacking everything. We will make it cozy for the sake of the ‘ghost’.”

Both Joonmyeon and Jongin shiver hearing that word. They look at each other with the same giving up expression.

“This is for the sake of our love, Hyung.”

“Yeah, we do it for them.”

Kyungsoo has already moved into the house, making both of them gasp. They grab their sleeping bag quickly and flashed to Kyungsoo. It will be terrible if ghost takes them away. They haven’t met with Kris and Krystal yet.

 

* * *

 


2014/04/05

 

I literally frown when I compose this chapter. It is far too different from what I initially visualize. However, this interests me so much and I can’t stick to the first image anymore.

If anyone is curious about the house, I take the inspiration from Yongdeok House (you can pretty much see the name :D). It is rumored as one of the scariest places in South Korea. However, it will be far too far for all of them to the actual house. Besides, it has no hog statues there (guess in what movie I took inspiration from!), so I end up creating a made up place.

So, enjoy the story. Please give feedback. I need more response or I won’t continue this. Hahaha. :D

 

Schandelierre