Chapter 5

You Belong To Me

 


~~~

 

"Now put your hands together for Cho Kyuhyun and Im Yoona! They'll be singing a duet song called 'Way Back Into Love!' "The audience cheered, relieved that the performance was starting. Walking on the stage nervously, Yoona bowed her head down, afraid to look at the massive crowd. Kyuhyun followed behind, apparently oblivious to the hundreds of pairs of eyes staring curiously at them.

"Are you alright? You seemed worried," Kyuhyun whispered in a low voice, concerned. Yoona refused to look up, just nodding her head. "I'm scared," She replied, body tense.

"Don't be," He said warmly, putting a hand on her shoulder. As if it's a stimulant, she looked up. Just then,the music started. Nudging Yoona, Kyuhyun gave a small grin, as if saying "You can do it".She took a deep breath, then sang in a small voice.

 

I've been living with a shadow overhead
I've been sleeping with a cloud above my bed
I've been lonely for so long
Trapped in the past
I just can't seem to move on."

Kyuhyun gave a thumbs up sign,as if encouraging her. Then, he continued in a deep voice.

 

I've been hiding all my hopes and dreams away
Just in case I ever need them again someday
I've been setting aside time
To clear a little space in the corners of my mind.


Mesmerized, Yoona stared at him, his voice echoing in her head. I didn't know he had such a lovely voice. His voice was melodious, husky and sounded absolutely brilliant. Gaining courage from it, she gazed deeper into his eyes.

 

All I want to do is find a way back into love
I can't make it through without a way back into love.


 It was as if something within them exploded, as their voices harmonized. The audience gasped in awe, amazed at their wonderful voices. Both of them were standing face to face, not caring where they were. It was as if everything disappeared, only them. The background music sounded far far away, it seemed to mush together. But they didn't mind.


I've been watching but the stars refuse to shine
I've been searching but I just don't see the signs
I know that it's out there
There's got to be something for my soul somewhere.
 

Yoona sang softly, her fears and worries vanished. She wasn't scared anymore, wasn't embarrased or nervous. Her voice was not the best, but she felt more confident.

 

"I've been looking for someone to shed some light
Not somebody just to get me through the night
I could use some direction
And I'm open to your suggestions."
 

It was Kyuhyun turn to sing, and his strong powerful, yet gentle voice rang throughout the enclosed hall. Some of the audience were also mouthing the lyrics, others were enjoying the music. Few were moved to tears, sobbing quietly.

 
All I want to do is find a way back into love
I can't make it through without a way back into love
And if I open my heart again
I guess I'm hoping you'll be there for me in the end
 

There are moments when I don't know if it's real
Or if anybody feels the way I feel
I need inspiration
Not just another negotiation

All I want to do is find a way back into love
I can't make it through without a way back into love
And if I open my heart to you
I'm hoping you'll show me what to do
And if you help me to start again
You know that I'll be there for you in the end.

 

The song ended on the last note, the music was turned off immediately. Applauds filled the air and loud cheers could be heard. Abruptly,Yoona broke the eye contact with him, blushing furiously when she realized she had stared at him like an idiot. Yoona gave Kyuhyun a little wink, as if giving her thanks to him. Beaming, both of them went backstage, once again oblivious to the audience.

"Thank you Kyuhyun-ssi, I'm really grateful," She breathed, bowing at him.

"No problem, drop the formalities, call me oppa," He smiled widely. He turned his head, ready to leave.

"W-Wait! O-Oppa! Don't go yet!" She stammered while Kyuhyun stopped and raised an eyebrow. "N-No, what I meant was, the results will be out soon, um, so don't go yet!" She said, nervous. He nodded. As soon as he did, the MC called into the speaker.

"All the contestants please gather on stage!"

She gave a small shrug. "I guess that's the cue to go."

 

~~~

 

"And so the winner of this year's talent competition is..."

The MC's voice boomed through the microphone. Everybody was nervous, their bodies rigid and palms getting sweaty. It was a really tense atmosphere,and the MC paused to create more tension.Yoona bit on her lower lip anxiously,afraid yet determined to win.

After what seemed hours to the contestants,the smiling MC announced.

"The winner is...Cho Kyuhyun and Im Yoona! Congratulations!"

Looking blank, she turned to the ecstatic Kyuhyun."W-We won?"

"Yes pabo didn't you hear?" He exclaimed over the loud incessant shouts from the audience. She still looked puzzled.

We won.

We won.

Wait, we won?

"We won?"She repeated, stunned. Kyu nodded vigorously.It took her a few moments to register this spontaneous news. Finally,she jumped."Yay! Thanks Kyu oppa!!!" She gave him a tight hug. A surprised expression flitted through his face. Kyuhyun inhaled deeply of her lavendar scented perfume,filling his nose. He wrapped his hands around her small waist.

"Yes,you're welcome." He replied,a tinge of smugness in his tone.All of a sudden,Yoona finally remembered about someone. "Wait a minute, where's Jessica unnie?" She frowned,breaking the hug.

"I didn't see her either. She wasn't present at the competition." Kyuhyun said. ‘That's weird. It is not like Sica unnie to disappear like that all of a sudden,’ Yoona thought. Her phone beeped all of a sudden, which brought her back to her senses.

"Excuse me for a moment oppa," She bowed, walking a few steps away. Yoona peered at her phone screen,reading the text slowly.

 

[1 New Message]

[From: Ice Princess Sica]

[Mianhae yoongie, I'll be missing your competition! I've some urgent family matters to attend to, I'll be okay, don't need to worry! I'll explain to you once I'm back! Bye~ :D ]

 

Yoona laughed at her message. Typical Sica. "She said she needed to go somewhere. She'll be ok," Yoona shrugged at Kyu, who came searching for her. The taller guy strolled towards her, looking rather flushed. "Are you ok? You look kinda red," Yoona pointed out. He touched his face awkwardly, then shook his head.

"I'm alright. Anyway, wanna go with me and grab something to eat?" Kyuhyun grinned slightly,grabbing her arm.

"Sure."

 

~~~

-Earlier on, when Yoona was on her phone-

"Congrats." Someone from behind tapped on Kyuhyun's shoulder. He spun back, facing a rather sulky guy.

"Yeah, thanks fishy." Kyu grinned.

"Hmm-mm."

"What's with the frown? You alright?” Kyuhyun asked,curious. Donghae frowned even more,his eyebrows furrowed.

"You're really weird...Are you sure you are Kyuhyun? When have you been so......Nice?"

"Uh...What's wrong with being nice?" Kyuhyun scratched his head as Donghae punched his shoulders playfully.

"Nothing. Is it because of," Donghae noticed how Kyuhyun would stare at that familiar figure. "...Her?" Kyuhyun flailed his hands in denial, blushing beetroot red. "A-Aniyo...I'm just......happy." Facing his hyung, he patted Donghae's back.

"Anyways, cheer up. Don't be so sad. I'll be going now, bye." With a last wave, Kyuhyun stalked off.

Seeing him walk towards the petite girl, Donghae felt a really weird feeling in his heart. It wasn't those nice feeling, but a rather pained one. What's wrong with me? He tried to ignore the tightening of his stomach. Swallowing an imaginary lump, he shook his head. It wasn't because of his best buddy, but his enemy.

 

~~~