Chapter 4

You Belong To Me

 

 

~~~

 

"...But I still don't get it "Yoong...There's only one more week to the competition.... How can you practice?" A rather skeptical Jessica prompted the much distracted young girl."Hey,Yoona?Earth calling to Im Yoona?"

"What?" As she snapped off her trance. "Did you hear me at all? I said so much!" The preppy ice princess whined.

"Not my fault...I hadn't had much sleep last night..." Yoona mumbled sleepily.

"Why?" Sica folded her arms.

"Yuri..."She murmured."Wha? I'm not Yuri! I'm Sica, remember?!"Sica looked confused.

"No no, as in, it was Yuri..."

 

*Flashback*

/Beep Beep/

"Who the hell is it?" Yoona grumbled, grabbing her phone. She rubbed her eyes groggily, peering blearily at the lit screen. "Yuri? When in the world did she get my phone number?"

 

[1 New Message]

[From Yuri]

[Hi, please remember to practice the song I assigned you earlier, we don't have much time left. I want it perfect when we rehearse again once more tomorrow. ]

 

"What does she think I am? Her pet? A dog?" Yoona muttered. Stretching her arms,she gave a big yawn before proceeding to practice. After hours of practice, she finally manage to get the tune.

*Flashback ends*

 

"So that's what happened! I'm going to find Yuri now!" Jessica tried to stand up, but got restraint by Yoona's arm."No, don't! Besides I'm going to find her anyway."

"Im Yoona!" A familiar voice drawled.

"Oh? Yuri-ssi!" Said a much surprised Yoona. "I was about to find you!"

"Ok, nevermind. Now,let's continue with our practice!" Yuri replied briskly.

 

~~~

 

"No! Your voice is too high! You're going out of tune!"

"Sorry-"

"That's all you can say! Why can't you sing it perfectly?!" The arrogant queenka demanded. Seeing the much disappointed and frustrated look on the younger girl's face, she turned her back and smirked proudly. Stage 1 of my plan succeeded. Placing a hand on the door knob, she replied in an annoyed tone.

"I want to see you perfect the lyrics when I come back. I'm heading for the restroom." With a sharp nod and a look of disapproval, she strutted out.

Yoona breathed,"I knew I shouldn't have agreed to her. Jessica unnie is right. Aish should have listen to her. But I can't refuse now, or God knows what she'll do to me." Hearing a soft rapping of knuckles on the door, she immediately jerk up. It must be Yuri...She pretended to hum quiet to the lyrics as if she had been practicing.

"Can I come in?" the person asked with a slightly muffled voice. "Of course you can Yuri," She frowned. "Why do you need to ask?" The door opened, and someone she wasn't expecting appeared.

"Lee Donghae?"

"Im Yoona?"

"What are you doing here?" Donghae asked curiously with furrowed brows. “None of your business. Shouldn't I be asking you that anyway?" She snapped. "Hey, you don't need to be so bad" Donghae protested.

Giving him a 'whatever-I-don't-give-a-damn', withering look, she shook her head. "You know that I don't care about people like you!" She said. He shrugged, "I don't have time for you now. I need to find Kyuhyun and Jonghyun. Anyway what are you doing here?”

"N-Nothing... I'm just tired..."Yoona yawned hugely,her body aching and throat sore."I've practiced for lots of hours already....I'm worned out."

"Then why don't you rest then?" Donghae asked. Yoona threw him a look of disbelief. "The competition is a few days away! How can I rest?" Just then, the door swung open. "Oh, hi Donghae Oppa!"

"What do you want Yuri?" Hae replied, slightly annoyed by her sudden presence. Ignoring the disgusted look given by Yoona, she strode towards him, trying to hug him. "Get off! What are you trying to do monster?"

"I know you love me-" Yuri tried to hug him.

"I don't!" Donghae yelled.

"Guys, if you don't want to stop your lovey-dovey stuff here, I'm outta here." Yoona said with a grossed out expression, and headed to the door. "Wait! Yoona! Help will ya? Stop it woman!" Donghae yelped.

 

~~~

 

A blonde hair girl came running down the stairs, her hair streaming backwards. She looked around frantically in the cafeteria, perhaps in search of someone. After minutes of scanning through the mass crowd, she finally gave a squeak of relief. "Yoona!" She spotted a lone girl, sitting by herself at the bench.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Said the weary girl, rubbing her eyes. The older one looked at the tired girl, her eyes pitiful. "You don't seem ok. Tired?" She asked, concerned. Yoona nodded slowly, her eyelids drooping. 

"Yuri-ssi made me sing until my throat hurts...since yesterday. I can hardly talk now."

Jessica paused for a moment, before standing up. "Where are you going?" Even in a dazed state, Yoona demanded.

"To see Yuri, of course."

 

~~~

 

"May I speak to Yuri-ssi?" Sica frowned, seeing someone surrounded by drooling boys and jealous looking girls. A dark skinned girl sat elegantly in the center, as if used to the attention given to her. Peering at her pocket mirror, she asked in a bored tone, "What is it? Is it another love letter again?" ‘What a narcist.

"Ahem,'' Jessica cleared loudly, catching the attention of other students.

"Oh, it's you. What do you want?" Yuri asked mildly.

"I wish to speak to you privately, Yuri-ssi." Sica asked. Yuri looked at her, irritated, and then she told the other students to go away. "What do you want now?" She enquired sharply.

"It's regarding Yoona." The elegant girl stiffened, glaring at the other one. "Apparently your 'singing practices' have left her energyless and tired. May I know what are you planning?"

"I don't know what you are referring to you, ice princess, but all I know is that whatever that is between her and me is none of your business," She replied smoothly, staring idly at her fingernails. Jessica clenched her teeth, trying to stop herself from slapping Yuri.

"I may not know what you're up to, but I hope it does not have to include him." Sica folded her arms, eyeing Yuri suspiciously. "Drop your icy glare princess, of course it has to be because of him. I mean, I won't waste my time to help a snotty brat with her singing. I do things with a purpose."

"Shut up, Kwon Yuri. I think your 'purpose' has gone too far. And besides, I kinda know why Donghae fawns over her so much. She's much better that you." Sica smirked, hiting the bull's eye with her words. Yuri tossed her hair, stubborn as usual.

"I don't care, and I don't have time for you.Oh wait,if you don't want to see your precious darling bestfriend suffer or get embarrased by me," She leaned forward, smugness on her face.

"Make sure she stays away from Donghae."

 

~~~

 

"What happened just now?"

"Nothing," Replied the older girl. The shikshin frowned. "Fine then, if you don't want to tell me," She stuffed the barbecue flavoured potato chips hungrily, even though she had just eaten lunch. Yuri glared at Sooyoung before snatching the chips away, but earning a smack from the taller one. "Hey! Give me back!"

"No, the competition is starting in a few days’ time; it’s time for my plan to start!" Yuri smirked evilly. Finally being able to snatch back her chips, Soo rolled her eyes.

"So, where was I?Oh right, the plan, I've to get ready."

"I still don't get it Yul, why must you plan this? You wouldn't waste your time for her," Soo stated matter-of-factly. "It's so that she would back off and not touch my Donghae," She said through gritted teeth.

"So what is your 'plan' then?"Soo asked.

"My plan? Oh you'll see," Yuri smirked.

 

~~~

 

-A week later-

The hall was filled with anticipation, and the chilly air blown from the air conditioners only brought more goose bumps to the anxious and excited audience. The entire hall was quiet and you could hear a pin drop. Despite it, a nervous looking young girl, all dressed up in her costume, was searching high and low for her partner.

"Kwon Yuri-ssi? Where are you?" She took a deep breath, calming herself down. She exhaled loudly, trying to comfort her pounding heart. Where is she when you need her?

"Ladies and gentlemen,  boys and girls! Put your hand together for the first contestant! A duet sung by Im Yoona-ssi and Kwon Yuri-ssi! The song 'Way Back Into Love' !" The MC's deep low voice rang through the enclosed hall, and the audience clapped and cheered enthusiastically.

"This is it.I'm dead. If she doesn't come in two minutes, I'm gonna be so screwed." Yoona uttered softly, her palms sweaty. There was no sign of anyone coming onto to stage, and the audience was getting edgy.

The MC spoke, "I'm sorry, apparently there's something amiss." He bowed, before heading backstage. "What is this Yoona-ssi? Why aren't you out? Where's your other duet partner?" He asked sharply. The frustrated girl could only shrugged, realising the hope in winning this year's competition is gone.

"Looks like we'll disqualify you from this-"

"Wait,sir!" A tall firgure came running towards them, his hands clutching over his chest and panting. Taking a deep breath, he started," Sir, I'll replace Yuri-ssi." Yoona stared at him, shocked from the sudden appearance.

"Yuri-ssi is not feeling well; I'll help Yoona in the duet." He replied firmly, while the MC gave an exasperated sigh. "Whatever, just go on stage and do your thing." He patted his arm, gave Yoona a nod and went to the stage. The doe-eyed girl closed her eyes, her head shaking.

"Kyuhyun-ssi! What are you doing here? What do you mean Yuri is sick and that you're replacing her?" She demanded.

Kyuhyun heaved a sigh, pulling her on stage, "Perform first, then I'll explain. There's not much time."

 

~~~

 

Cho Kyuhyun scratched his head, trying to find the way to the dressing room. Im Yoona...Where are you? I need to wish you all the luck before you perform. Passing by a room, he overheard someone's converstaion. Hiding behind a tall and wide pillar, he peeked from behind, seeing two tall girls giggling and chatting. Curious, he squinted to see Yuri and Sooyoung both from his class.

"...Haha, so I decided not to attend!" Yuri smirked. Soo stared at her in amazement.

"Now I know why the Almighty Yuri won't waste her time over trivial stuff. The whole school will laugh at her and Donghae oppa won't like her anymore! Then he will go to you!" She smiled gleefully. "Such a smart plan!"

"Donghae hyung... I don't get it, Hae hyung is currently interested in someone, could it be her? Surely it's not-" He strained harder trying to hear everything. Oh no, don't tell me...

"Just curious,what song are you supposed to sing anyway?" Sooyoung prompted. "Way back into love...I kinda find that song lame... I already have my Donghae oppa so I don't need to care about love songs." Yuri tossed her hair, giving a grin.

"I still find the whole plan absurd. Let me get this straight, you decided to trick her that you want to do a duet, then in the end, quit last minute, so she'll not win. Wow," The shikshin shaked her head in disbelief. "Bingo," Yuri snapped her fingers.

"The Im girl is really stupid....what an airhead..."

But Kyuhyun did not care what Yuri said after that, he stood up abrubtly, then sprinted off. He's mind was too preoccupied to say anything, but one thing in his mind....was to find the doe-eyed girl.

 

~~~