On the rocks

Love and Pain and Everything in between (On Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BGM: SMTOWN - Dear My Family (Make sure to play this song while reading!)

 

“Can’t we just ditch the program and go somewhere else?  !  We’re not like kids anymore to celebrate Family Day and bring our parents to school,” Kyuhyun ranted.

“Language, please,” Seohyun said calmly to stop him from cursing.  “It’s a part of the school fair; thereby, we are obliged to comply, Kyuhyun-sunbaenim.”

“Oi.  Listen to Ms. Righteous, Kyuhyun-ah,” Shindong playfully whacked his head.  The latter only scoffed.  “I’m going to swear to the seven seas of hell as much as I want to—Aish!—How can I possibly drag my parents from their ing business trip?”

“Tell them it’s an emergency,” Ryeowook suggested.

However, the maknae grunted again.  “By emergency—it meant I have to break my bones and bruise my body—all over—for them to believe it.  They aren’t as dimwit as you all are.”

“!  You can fake those using cosmetics.  The girls can help you out with that.  Now, who’s dim-witted among us?” Heechul retorted.

Before the petty quarrel would evolve into a fist fight, Leeteuk butted in.  “Don’t settle on that solution, Kyuhyun-ah.  For sure, your parents will ask the school about it.   They’d suspect that we got into another fight and won’t effing hesitate to kick us out.  Remember that we’re under probation.”

“Urgh.  It’s un-ing-believable."

Jessica ignored the colourful cussing of Super Junior.  She was busy making up a script on how to encourage her parents to attend the school activity.  This Family Day would be her last straw to patch up their relationship.  If it won’t work, then maybe…she’d stop.  That’s what fate had in store for her.  She must accept it.  Life just worked that way for her.  She had no right to complain.

“What are you thinking?” Taeyeon called her attention since she was spacing out.  But it can’t be helped.  Jessica had a lot going through her mind these days.  As if there was a running lane in her head, Donghae frequented popping out there—same with the G-Dragon guy.

“I’m thinking of not coming to school tomorrow.”

“Eh—but why?  You still have us, Sica.  We’re also your family.”

What’s the essence of celebrating Family Day without Mom and Dad?  It’s totally pointless.  “I’ll give it a shot.”  She’ll try convincing them when she gets home.  There’s still a silver lining for her beneath those clouds.

 

 

“Sica!  You’ll come tomorrow, promise me…” Taeyeon said before they parted ways.

“I’ll see.”

She pouted, extending her little finger for a pinky promise.  “Oh come on—promise me.” 

Her childishness caused her to giggle.  “Alright.  I’ll be there—alone or with my parents.”  After saying such, she went home.

Repeatedly, she recited her lines, then changes it if it doesn’t sound right.  She was undecided on her final speech because a bothersome feeling kept pressing against her chest.  It made it hard for her to breathe.  The air was cold and still that late afternoon.  It felt weird that it seemed to crackle in tension in a bit.

She was already at their front porch when she heard the breaking of porcelain wares.  With hurried steps, she went in their house only to see her parents fighting—yet again.  The only difference is that now involves physical force.

Mrs. Jung slapped her husband hard.  “Don’t you think I won’t find out about your mistress?  Well, newsflash, Mr. Jung!  The walls have ears.  You can’t keep your stinking secret forever.”

Fear gripped Jessica’s heart when she noticed the luggage her mom carried downstairs.  Panic and doom rushed in her.  “Mommy?  W-Where are you going?”

“Away from here.  I couldn’t bear living with your Dad anymore.  His infidelity is too much for me.  I need to breathe some air—”

“Go on!  No one’s stopping you—”

“Daddy?!”  Jessica cut him off but what he said enraged his wife more.  Mrs. Jung strode hastily to the door, threatening Jessica’s tears to fall.  “Wait—Mommy!” she followed her out.  “Don’t go.  Don’t leave me.  Please.  You have to go with me and Dad tomorrow at school.  Please.  I need you to be there,” she choked.  “It’s our family day,” she begged.

Screw the speech she prepared.  Now, this was impromptu.

Mrs. Jung brushed off her tears and caressed Jessica’s face.  She hated seeing her daughter suffer just because her marriage was on the rocks.  But this has to end now.  “I’m sorry, Baby.  But I’m already fed up with your dad’s doings.  I love him but I’ve reached my limit.  When you came to us, I thought he would learn to love me too.  But he only married me to give you a name, Baby.  I was stuck in this loveless marriage for so long.  I want to break free.”

“S-stay please,” her voice broke as teardrops raced down her cheeks.  She hugged her mother tight—without intention of letting her go.

“I’m going, Sica.”

She sobbed heartbreakingly when her mom pushed her away.  It stabbed her heart zillion times.

“Take care of yourself.  If you need something, just call Mommy, okay?”

“No.  Don’t go, Mom.”

“I’ll see you someday…” she said before getting inside her car and driving away from their place.

“Mommy!  Come back, Mom!” she ran but her fragile body surrendered half-way.  Her vision was clouded by her tears.  She felt weak and was so helpless.  She couldn’t get a big enough breath to scream.  Only a muffled ‘kajima’ came out from her lips as she watched the car disappear from her sight.

 

 

Donghae glanced at Jessica’s alarm clock.  It sai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter