Green with envy

Love and Pain and Everything in between (On Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BGM: SNSD - Mr. Mr.

 

“What the hell!”  Donghae groaned as the sunlight slivered through his window and found its way to his face.  But that wasn’t the reason why he covered it with a pillow and cursed.  He was awakened by the shouts of their neighbours.  It’s only 6am for crying out loud but the Jung couple began to bombard their subdivision again.

Donghae was not a morning person but he gets up early because of this free alarm clock.  Even if he had hang over or not.  This has become a routine for two years now.  The Jung’s argument would start over little things until it complicates.  At times, he’d be itching to throw eggs or stones to their house just to shut them up.  But he chose to ignore them instead.

He walked to the balcony of his room and stared at the window covered with lilac curtains.  That is the room of the Jung’s daughter.  Basically, they’re living in the same street, rooms only 8m apart—but they’re neither friends nor acquaintances.  Just plain neighbours.

He doesn’t hang out with goody-good kids like her.  He had his gang called Super Junior, with lads of his age who loves brawls and has vices—drinks liquors, smokes cigarettes and weeds, and bullies weak people.

Lee Donghae is a gangster—a bad guy.

He and she don’t complement each other.  For starters, he doesn’t even know her name and don’t give a damn about knowing it.  But he wonders how she’s able to put up with her parents arguing nonstop.  Don’t mistake him for being nosy.  He was simply curious.  Can’t she just tell them to shut the up because their causing noise pollution in their subdivision?

 

 

“Yah!  I told you not to put too much cream on my coffee.”

“Why are you still complaining?  If you don’t like it, go make yourself one!”

“That’s not what I meant.  We’ve been married for almost 18 years and yet you still don’t know what I want and not.”

“Geez.  Are we going to talk about this again?”

“Oh come on—be a better wife so I’d stop this .”

“You are one to talk.  It’s not like I wanted to marry you in the first place!”

“May I remind you that I only married you for the sake of my child?  She’s the sole reason why I’m still here.”

“If you want out, just say so.  Give me those divorce papers and I’ll sign it right away.  I didn’t force you to be my daughter’s father.  You volunteered.”

Jung Jessica balled her fist until her knuckles paled.  Her parents were at it again.  She was standing near the island but they didn’t notice her for they were busy quarrelling.

This is her life—she belongs to a dysfunctional family filled with strife and brokenness.  She is the fruit of an unwanted pregnancy.  She is a mistake.  Now’s not the only time they talked about getting a divorce.  They mention it every day as if it was a normal topic in a conversation.  As their only child, she bore the most burden of her parents’ relationship.

She hid the pain in her smiles and grew up as an obedient girl but still lacked and craved for parental affection.  She can’t help but be envious of Lee Donghae, her neighbour.  Yes, she knows him even though she doesn’t talk to him.  He had loving and understanding parents despite being a problem child.  If possible, she’d like to switch places with him because life is unfair.  How can she have the short end of the stick in this cruel world?  How can fate be this indulgent to her?

“M-Mom?  Dad?” she called them.  Their bantering stopped instantaneously.

“Come here, Baby.  Breakfast is ready,” her mom’s expression softened.  She prepared her plate.

“You’re going to feed your daughter with a burnt toast?” her dad snorted.

Jessica let out a noncommittal growl.  Though she’s in front of them, they still fight.  When will this ever end?  “It is okay, Dad.”  At least, she could swallow the bitterness of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter