Chapter 2: Borrowed

In Between

A few nights after, you were talking to sister on the phone. She was telling you how she was going to get married and hoped you would go to her wedding. When you asked who the groom was, she began sobbing over the phone. It was a man that she didn’t love, and that the marriage was arranged due to the impact it would have on the family business. Before hanging up, she warned you that you would be next in a couple of years.

That night you dreamt of a man, back facing you, waiting for you at the altar. You were in all white wedding gown, somehow you were able to see your reflection, you were smiling, but behind that smile was grief. You woke up suddenly forgetting the dream altogether, you were distracted by your career, and how CAP had still not contacted you yet. You looked up at the clock, ‘5:30am.’ You decided that a jog would help you clear your mind.

The sun was just beginning to rise when you got out of your apartment, the autumn breeze was calming your mind. After jogging for a few blocks, the wind picked up and blew the cap you were wearing off your head. You chased after it and was suddenly knocked down by what seemed like a big rock. You closed your eyes waiting for pain and broken bones, when an arm wrapped around your waist and positioned you up straight. You opened to see a hand waving in front of your face, trying to get your attention. You quickly shrugged out his is grasp after realizing the situation.

“Are you alright?” you looked into his eyes, they were mesmerizing and you couldn’t help but stare.

“Y-ye-ah,” you stuttered. A smile formed on the man’s face as he began to speak,

“Good, then I’ll be going.” He walked off in the opposite direction. You realized, on his head, was your cap.

“Hey!” you called after him, he stopped abruptly and turned to face you.

“My hat!” he pointed to his head and laughed.

“I’m borrowing it.”

“I don’t even know your name, how can you just take it?”

“Joe. L.joe.” A few seconds later he was out of site. You looked at your watch and headed back towards you apartment. As you showered for work, flashbacks of L.joe’s eyes kept on appearing. You remembered clearly there were 2 moles on his left eye. You thought he was special, and you were hoping to see him very soon. Your mind were in fantasy until your phone vibrated.

~Come to my office when you get to work.

It was CAP. You checked the time and quickly dressed for work.