Chapter 1: Meeting the Boss

In Between

Since the start of your probation period, your colleagues have ordered you around. You were busy bringing them files or buying them coffee. Today wasn’t any different. You rode the elevator down to the parking lot to get your car. The drinks were always picky, and they had to be from a café 30 mins away. ‘There goes your job’ you thought for the 100th time this week.

As you drove out of the underground parking, you suddenly skidded to a stop. In the next second you were out of your car; there was a man grabbing his belongings from the cement floor. Your heart was still beating, you were relieved you hadn’t hit him. You walked towards his papers and picked one up. It had the XX Corp. logo stamped at the corner.

“Thanks,” he took the sheet from you. You looked up to see the CEO of XX corp. ‘, I almost killed him’

“I’m so sorry sir,” you bowed your head. “I really need this job, please don’t fire me.” You heard a small laugh,

“Don’t worry about it, what’s your name? I haven’t seen you around before.” He patted your shoulder which surprisingly gave you a comforting feeling. You looked up to him and saw that he was from actually very young, mid-twenties, the oldest. He picked up your ID car that was hanging from your neck and studied it for a bit.

“Ah, Charlotte Kim. A member of the marketing department. It’s nice to meet you” you shook his hand in awkwardness. “I’m Bang Minsoo, the CEO of XX Corp. if you don’t mind me asking, why are you out from your position in the middle of day? Do you not have anything better to do than try to take the life of your boss?” He laughed out loud, his voice was so mesmerizing, ‘that’s why he’s CEO, I guess’

“I’m buying coffee for my colleagues, would you like anything sir, my treat?”

“That’s very nice of you, hmm sure.”

“Get in”

You drove towards Latte Café whilst being bombarded by business questions from Minsoo. You learned that he was new to the company because the President was ill at the hospital. Soon you arrived at the café. As you ordered the drinks for Minsoo and your colleagues, Minsoo found a table at the far corner.

“Over here” he waved you over.

“Here sir, your coffee.” He took a sip and heaved a sigh.

“Is something wrong?”

“Huh? oh nothing. It’s just that the coffee they make, has helped me through a lot. Ever since I started working at the company, this coffee has been with me through different obstacles. It may sound weird, but it has a special taste. Try some.” He passed you his coffee. You were hesitant at first, but took at after shrugging off the awkwardness. The coffee was special indeed, it made you think of your family and everything that made you happy. You let out a sigh and smiled.

“I have an idea,” you said, “You can be the main character of the promotional video. It would be perfect.”

“Hmm. Maybe, I’ll have to talk with my secretary.” He grabbed your phone and punched in a few numbers, his phone suddenly began vibrating. “When I have made a decision, I’ll call you.” He scrolled through his phone looking at a text message.

“I have to get somewhere, I’ll see you later?”

“Do you want a ride sir?” you asked politely.

“Nope, my driver is outside. And stop calling me Sir. My English name is CAP.” He winked at you and walked out of the café. You looked at his back profile and thought, ‘thanks for giving me inspiration.’ Unknowingly, you were smiling ear to ear at just the thought of CAP being in your advertisement project.