Chapter 3: The Dark

In Between

“Excuse me, I’m here to see CA- Mr. Bang Minsoo.” The secretary looked up and pointed to the closed double doors behind her,

“Charlotte right? He’s waiting for you inside.”

You opened the door to a large open room, on your right was the sitting area, with two leather sofas facing each other, with a glass coffee table in between. On the wall an art from Picasso, in the background, Yiruma’s River flows in you was playing. Somehow you felt a romantic setting. Your eyes shifted to the left, where CAP was standing ready to greet you. His desk was a dark mahogany with matching leather chair. Your eyes finally met his, and a smile crept up you face. He was holding the coffee you had drank with him for the first time. He gestured for you to sit down

“Sir, it nice to see you again,” you tried to be polite, “have you decided on the role in the commercial?”

“Ahh, well yes on one condition,” he paused, “Only if you play the lead actress.”

“Sir, but”

“CAP for you,”

“CA-PP, I can’t act, no never”

“And yet you have confidence in my acting? I’ve been sitting behind a desk with documents starting from such a young age. Charlotte, if you believe in me, you can believe in yourself”

“There is a difference though,”

“Enlighten me”

“Well, have you not looked in the mirror recently, you’re handsome, you have a good complexion, you’re well built. Overall you’re attractive.” There was a long silence. ‘Omg Charlotte, did you just say that’ you thought to yourself. CAP walked towards you, making you step back towards the wall. He leaned in towards you, whispering into your ears,

“Look at all those lies you just told, and you think I’m gonna believe that you can’t act” he chuckled and stepped away. You were still in a daze when he asked,

“So when do we start filming, I read over the script I believe that there should be a few changes,”

“Ugh… Uhm… next week, I still have to contact the director and lighting directors, I’ll tell your secretary when everything is set”

“No just text me,” he waved his cell in the air, “Want to go for lunch? We should start bonding,” he turned to grab his jacket.

“I just got to work though,”

“So?”

He led you out towards the elevator, holding onto your waist. As the elevator was heading down, workers from every department were gossiping about your relationship with CAP. You weren’t sure if he just didn’t hear it, or he didn’t mind it. He led you to his Ferrari and drove off. When you got to the restaurant, he ordered a medium rare steak for you and himself. When the food came, he helped you cut the steak into pieces and was very gentle. You began to find yourself more attracted to CAP and looked forward to acting the commercial together.

You walked into your after lunch and was immediately called in by your supervisor. He lectured you for disrupting the order of the company and not telling him first before reaching out to the CEO. He yelled at you for being inconsiderate and taking all the credit for what you did. As you walked out of his room he ordered you to get him coffee and said you had to work overtime.

Colleagues all around were talking about you and the CEO, you just couldn’t take it. You ran into the washroom and started to cry. After 15mins or so, you began the pile of work that you were assigned. As the evening came, the office became quiet and you could finally relax and be yourself. Realizing you had left a file in the storage room, you went back to go get it.

As you went in the storage room, the door closed behind you. You turned the door knob but it was locked. Someone had locked it from the outside. You banged on the door hoping for freedom but it was no use. You tried opening the lights but they were broken. You were terrified. You hated the dark and you were alone. You knocked harder on the door, this time screaming “help!” After screaming for a good hour, you lost your voice and tears began streaming down you face unconsciously. You begged the door to open, pleading to whoever had done this to stop.

“It’s not funny, Stop please.”

After sitting alone for a long time, your phone began to ring, you jumped in shock.

“I had this all along, Aish”

It was CAP, you picked up right away

“H-hhello?”

“Charlotte? What’s wrong, why do you sound so scared?”

“Save me. Come save me,” your emotions gave in and you cried to him over the phone. “Please come…”

“Where are you…?”

“Storage on the 14th floor, please come save me,”

The line went dead, a few minutes later you heard footsteps running towards your door. Soon loud breathing sounds could be heard.

“Charlotte, are you in there?” he knocked.

“Minsoo, help”

He joggled the keys looking for the right one. Moments later, the door opened. You threw your arms around him, and cried onto his shoulders.

“It’s okay now, everything is going to be okay” He rubbed your back like a child. As your sobs began to calm he moved his hands from you back up to you head, patting it. You could hear your breathing steady. His soothing touch made you realize how tired you were. You were fast asleep after a while.