Game Over

Entangled Web (The Spiderweb Of Love II)

 

SEUNGRI's POV
 
“You didn't tell me this was a big dinner party,” I whispered.
 
“What are you wearing?” she asked.
 
“Clothes?” I answered, raising my brows.
 
“Come, let's change that. I forgot to inform you that this is a formal gathering,” she said.
 
“I'm fine. I'll just stay here out-”
 
“No, you're coming inside,” she insisted.
 
I sighed heavily and followed her through the backdoor. She led me to a room- or is this another house inside their house?
 
After changing into a more formal wear, I stepped out of the dressing room. CL smiled as she saw me.
 
“That's more like it,” she said.
 
I became more uneasy as I joined the conversations of the other guests. Or should I say, as I listened to their conversations. All I could hear from them are shares, stocks, the latest trends in the market, etc. I mean, what the hell?
 
Then there's this Hyun Joong. I don't know him but he's quite a personality. The older women obviously adore him while the older men obviously had some respect for him.
 
“Such an achiever for a young age,” one man said.
 
“I taught him well”, another said, who I presumed is Hyun Joong's father.
 
“He also taught me some tricks with girls,” Hyun Joong beamed, making everyone laugh.
 
“Ha ha!” I quietly joined in. I felt CL squeezed my arm lightly. I glanced sideways at her. She gave me a sweet smile, then rolled her eyes. I silently laugh for real this time.
 
“So, tell me. Has someone caught your picky eye already?” a lady in her 50's, I think, asked.
 
“Well, there's this particular girl but I think she's already taken,” he said, looking at our direction.
 
“Aww. Don't worry dear, it's her loss.”
 
Hyun Joong shook his head. “I'm at greater loss.”
 
The others, especially the older women, started expressing their sympathies and blah blah blah.
 
“Oh, enough about me. Let's talk about my partner-to-be in spearheading the merging of the Kims' and the Lees'. The future of the Lee's itself.”
 
“Me?” I asked in surprise as all heads turned towards my direction. CL chuckled beside me.
 
“He loves to joke,” CL said. The others chuckled lightly.
 
“So, can you introduce us to this young lad, Chaerin?” one of the elders asked.
 
“Oh, this is Lee Seungri,” CL introduced and glanced at me. “He's my. . . .”
 
“Her boyfriend,” I finished for her. I felt her squeeze my arm tightly.
 
“I told you he loves to joke,” she said again.
 
“So, Seungri. Tell us, what's your family into? You must be from a very powerful family to capture CL here,” Hyun Joong said.
 
“Well, not really. We're just-”
 
“Tsk, Hyun Joong sunbaenim, you are very sly, aren't you?” CL cut off. “You're obviously turning the spotlight on others.”
 
Hyunjoong chuckled. “Ah, I'm busted.”
 
And so, they continued talking. Hyun Joong was obviously flirting with CL, though I doubt the others noticed. I was becoming uneasy with how Hyun Joong kept on mentioning the “Kims' and Lees” merging plans, not to mention it made me feel small and ignorant. It sounded like a big thing and it obviously meant so much to both families. I was starting to have difficulty in breathing, so I excused myself, saying that I need to go to the washroom.
 
The moment I reached the washroom, I bent over the sink and splashed water across my face.
 
“Hey,” a voice behind me said. I looked at the reflection in the mirror and saw Hyun Joong. I just looked at him and didn't answer. “Can we talk?” he asked.
 
 
 
CL's POV
 
Where the hell is that loser? He's been missing for quite some time now. I excused myself and looked for him. I peeked through the washroom and called out his name. But no one responded. I started looking for him in the other parts of the house, asking anyone I come across with.
 
“Have you seen Seungri?” I asked Hyun Joong when I saw him.
 
“I think he's in the kitchen,” he answered.
 
“Oh, thanks,” I mumbled and quickly went towards the direction of the kitchen. Before reaching the kitchen, I bumped into Mom.
 
“Chaerin! Whare are you going? Hyun Joong-”
 
“I'm looking for Seungri,” I said then went passed by her.
 
I stopped as I saw his back facing me, head bowed.
 
“Ya, loser! What are you doing here?” I asked. He slowly turned around and faced me, wearing an expression I can't quite comprehend. He just looked at me then sighed.
 
“It's too crowded,” he said. I chuckled.
 
“Want to take a walk outside?” I offered.
 
I led him out of the house. I smiled a little as I saw the swing. I went to it and took a seat.
 
“Care to push me?” I asked. He didn't answer as he went behind me. He then started pushing me gently.
 
“You're so quiet. Did your tongue eat you?” I chuckled.
 
Again, he was silent.
 
“I knew you were rich. But I never imagine you're this rich,” he started.
 
“Pfft. So? Like that matters!” I scoffed. He stopped pushing the swing.
 
“This is. . . . a mistake,” he said. I frowned then stood up, facing him.
 
“What are you talking about?” I asked.
 
He shook his head. “I'm sorry but this is a mistake. I'm backing off.”
 
“Backing off?” I asked again, confused.
 
“I'm backing off from our two-day bet.”
 
“W-what?” I stammered. “You can't just backout from a bet! A-auntie Mi said-”
 
“Maybe she made a mistake. You said so yourself, not all predictions come true. Sorry if I was too assuming.”
 
“Ya! If this is your way of making me say yes, then you got a hell long way to go! This isn't funny and cute anymore!” I burst out.
 
He snorted then looked back to the house. “You should go inside. They're probably looking for you.”
 
I fell silent. What the hell is he playing at? Grr, I hate it when he starts playing around with that stupidly and annoyingly little games of his.
 
“What are you talking about? You're coming with-”
 
“I'm not going in there again,” he interjected.
 
“But why?”
 
“I don't belong there,” smirks, “I should go home. I'm just wasting my time here.”
 
He started walking away, but then, he stopped and turned half-faced to me. “By the way, you and Hyun Joong really looked good together.”
 
“Stop this game already!” I shouted.
 
“The game's already over, Chaerin. I just ended it.”
 
~o~
 
 
 
AUTHOR's POV
 
“Stop following me!” TOP burst out angrily to the girl.
 
“Don't be so mean!” the girl pouted.
 
“You'll get more than that if you don't stop following me!”
 
“Ooooh, why do I feel excited about it?” Bom winked.
 
TOP cursed to the wind, slowly giving up to the girl's persistence. “Don't you have work or anything to do? Or classes?” he asked.
 
“I wouldn't be here if I have,” she beamed.
 
“What do you want?” he asked.
 
“I already told you what I want,” she quietly answered.
 
“And I already said no!” he gritted.
 
“Exactly why I'm here,” Bom winked again.
 
“Ugh! If you don't stop following me, I'll file a restraining order against you!”
 
The girl laughed. “Yeah, right. Like you would really do that!”
 
“And what made you think I wouldn't?”
 
“Two things. First, because I'm Dara's friend. Second, because you already like me.”
 
TOP looked at Bom like she's a crazy person then he shook his head. “You're crazy” he said then turned around to leave.
 
“You don't have to be scared,” Bom suddenly said, stopping him in his tracks.
 
“What?” TOP asked, turning sharply towards her again.
 
“I know why you're acting like this. It's because you're scared.”
 
“I'm not-”
 
“The first time you put your heart in the line, it ended up broken. And so, you don't want to experience that again,” Bom knowingly said. “I know that behind that tough, sarcastic and careless facade of yours lies a vulnerable person. The truth is, you're weak. That's why you can't just let Dara go because you needed her strength. You-”
 
“Shut up!”
 
“You don't like how I'm making you feel. You don't like how I seemed to know how you really feel. You don't like the fact that I can see right through you because the first time you let your guards down, you ended up being rejected. You-”
 
“Enough!” TOP burst out angrily, grabbing the girl's arm roughly. His nose flared as his eyes squinted. “I had enough of your mind games, Park Bom. If you like torturing people, then go ahead. The hell I care. But NEVER act like you know me, NEVER even for a second think that I just used Dara!”
 
He let go of her arm forcefully and turned to leave again.
 
“You should know that I'm risking a lot of myself here. I'm not going to hurt you, Seunghyun. But I know I'll be in a lot of pain because of you. But still, I'm willing to risk everything. Remember that.”
 
With that, Bom quietly left, leaving a confused TOP behind.