Mark

Is It Okay To Love You?

-----5 years later-----

“BamBam told me that Mark came back from LA last night” BuRin said over the phone.

 

“oh did he?” I pretended to sound like I am not bothered by it or interested.

 

“____, it’s been five years… you’ve been single for the past five years” BuRin pointed out the obvious.

 

“I just can’t find anyone special…” I sighed at the fact that we are having this conversation again.

 

“So many guys have come running towards you, but you keep turning them down. It’s not that you can’t find anyone special, you already have someone special in your heart”

 

“can we not talk about this right now?” I pleaded quietly as I got onto the bus.

 

“Admit you are still in love with Mark.” Burin blew my cover.

The bus today is extra packed because it is a Friday and it is rush hour right now. Everyone wants to go home and party after a long day of work. I’m not surprised that there are no seats available. I just adjusted my large tote on my shoulder as I kept my phone pressed in between my shoulder and ear while I held onto the one of the poles.

 

“...no I’m not” I denied the truth.

 

“Yes you are.” BuRin said sternly.

 

“how are you so sure of how I’m feeling?” I asked, trying to shut her up.

 

“because you said it yourself on the night of JB’s birthday.”

 

“what do you mean?” I tried to recall that night about a week ago.

 

“you drank…” BuRin began and I already mentally slapped myself.

 

“Someone brought up Mark…” she tried to help me with my memory of that night.

 

“you started to cry… you grabbed JB and started to sob and told him how you miss Mark so much, and how you wish that you could’ve stopped him that night at the airport.”

 

“.....”

 

“Jr quietly asked about Jackson and you shook your head while still crying, you said and I quote: My heart told me that I need Mark...it told me that it’s him and no one else...Mark Tuan! "

 

Feeling a lump in my throat and tears fogging my vision, I swallow and tried to blink my tears back.

 

“____, I’m not trying to tell you how you feel, but I just want you to realize that you already know who it is that you want. The reason why you can’t choose earlier is because you felt like you owe Jackson something. You thought that you made two guys fall for you so you think that you should be fair. Love is never fair, you always have to have sacrifices.” BuRin finished up. I feel like a huge boulder just got lifted off my chest. All this time…I knew who I wanted, but at the same time the sober me didn’t.

 

“but it’s too late…” I whispered through my raspy voice that is at the verge of breaking.

 

“no it’s not. Trust me, I’m going now, call me when you have time. Bye!” she said and hung up. Just as she hung up, the bus reached the stop that I am supposed to get off. I held my phone tightly in my hand as I squeezed through the people, saying sorry every second for bumping into them until I finally made it out of the bus. I took a deep breath of the crisp autumn air and walked down the empty streets at 5:30pm to my house. The fallen leaves crunched underneath my somewhat worn out combat boots, while keeping my hands in the pocket of my navy green utility jacket. The cold breeze blowing my baby hair and strands of hair that has fallen out of the messy bun that is now hanging low at the bottom of my head when it started off on the top. I could care less about my hair right now because I’m almost home anyways.

So Mark is back in Korea… and I do like him..no scratch that, I love him. Now what? Should I go look for him? Or should I wait for him to look for me? What if he is over me? Then what do I do? Live the rest of my life married to another person who I don’t love?

I stopped in my tracks and looked ahead of me, where my house is. All the questions that was just in my head are now all solved. In front of house stood a tall and lean figure. The setting sun behind that person made it difficult for me to have a clear look at that person. But even if that person stood a hundred meters away I would still recognize him. Tears have already begun to roll down my face without noticing.

We probably stood like this for about five minutes, just to make sure that this is reality and to process everything. As we stood a couple meters away I continued to cry silently. I have no idea why I am crying, I don’t feel sad or anything and I don’t know how to feel happy yet. I guess these are tears of..relief..? Feeling a weight lifted off my heart, I can’t help but to crouch down and continue to cry with my hands on my chest, pressing against my knees. I was so scared that I was too late… I was afraid that I might have to live a life with him always in the back of my mind. I was so scared to see him with someone else. But no, he is just standing in front of me right now. After five long years… he waited for me…

 

“____” his voice rang in my ears and it made me feel warm and safe again. I then feel his arm wrapped around my fragile body and his scent just engulfed my entire body. I looked at him through my teary eyes. He looks the same as how I remembered. Perfect.

 

“I missed you…” he breathed. Right after he said that I just threw my arms around him. Nobody knows how long I’ve been waiting for this hug. Every night I wish that I am in his arms and when I cry I want his shoulder to cry on.

 

“you’re...you’re here…” I stuttered, finding it very difficult to realize that this is reality.

 

“I am...I am right here with you” he gently my head.

 

“...why..?” I asked a rather dumb question. But this question will also help me with double checking if this is reality, just to make sure that he is here for me.

 

“I came back for you…” he breathed, making me melt into his arms some more.

 

“Living without you is like living without oxygen. For the past five years there was never a day that goes by without you on my mind. I tried to convince myself that you are living happily with Jackson and I want to be happy for you. I really tried. But knowing the fact that someone I love so much is not by my side just kills me. I want to do nothing else but sleep, because the only way I could see you is in my dream.” he admitted, which made me feel even more guilty, which lead me to crying even more.

 

“..I’m sorry…” I whispered. Mark pulled away to look at me in the eyes. The both of us are crouching down in the middle of the sidewalk, holding each other with tears in our eyes. People must think that we are crazy.

 

“no..I’m sorry for not telling you how I really felt when you confessed. If I did then you wouldn’t have to go through all the pain and tears.” he clenched his jaws.

I shook my head to tell him that its okay and it is not his fault.

 

“Mark...is it okay to love you?”

 

“It was always okay” he smiled. “can I ask you a question now?”

I looked at him, waiting for him to ask me. Before he asked whatever he wanted to ask, he helped me stand up and he kneeled one knee on the ground as he looked up at me. My eyes widened and my mouth dropped open, barely functioning I placed my hands over my mouth and more than half of my face. Only my eyes are visible because I want to make sure that what I think is going to happen is happening.

 

“...When I promised that I will protect you, I meant it. So please let me be your superhero for the rest of your life.” he stuttered a bit due to how nervous he is, but I don’t blame him. I am just as nervous.

 

“_____, will you marry me?” he asked the question that I’ve been dreaming of since I was a kid. Well of course when we were kids, we would play pretend and he would be my husband, but now...it is real. I can’t believe my childhood best friend just asked me to marry him. The one I grew up with is going to be mine, he is going to be in the rest of my life.

 

“..y-yes…” I whispered through my hands and hot tears replaced the old and dried up ones.

Mark held out his hand and I slowly placed my shaky hand on his. The warmth of his hand is just so comforting, it almost feels magical at a time like this. When I wanted him, needed him the most, he appears. Mark Tuan put the ring on my finger and it feels like I could fly. After all this time he was the one for me all along. We went through so much and here we are right now in this fantasy like moment that I never want it to end.

My prince charming stood up and pulled me into a hug, securing his arms tightly around my waist as I lock my fingers together behind his neck.

 

“thank you...thank you for waiting for me” I breathed beside his ear.


 

----2 years later----

 

The squeals and giggles of Mark’s niece and nephew could be heard in the washroom from the living room.

So after we got married, we moved into a nice apartment together and he opened his own martial arts school while I stayed as an interior designer. Today is our two years anniversary since we got married. Typically this type of event should be celebrated with just the two of us, but Mark’s sister needed us to help babysit her kids. I honestly don’t mind at all, in fact I’m glad that they are here because I want to see how Mark really is with kids. Is he ready to be a dad yet? Even if he is not ready he will have to prepare himself and get ready.

 

“auntie ____!” Kylie knocked on the door a little louder than necessary.

 

“coming~” I sang and put the pregnancy test into the trash can. I washed my hands and opened the door to see that Mark’s niece is standing right in front of the door, waiting for me to play with her.

 

“where is Kyle?” I asked the three year old for her younger brother.

 

“sleeping!” she shouted and I held her little hand while I walked out to the living room with her. I looked at Mark who is sitting on the couch with baby Kyle in his arms. He looked at his nephew as he breathed steadily on his chest. I can’t help but to melt at the sight of this. I can totally see Mark as a dad.

 

BzzBzzBzz

 

Mark’s phone vibrated in his pocket and he immediately held his breath, hoping that it didn’t wake Kyle up. He slowly reached for his phone and checked the message. After reading the text he pouted a little and looked at his nephew again. He secured his arms around the little baby boy and stood up slowly. As he turned around he saw me standing there with a smile across my face. He smiled back and placed the little boy in his luxurious stroller.

 

“their parents are here” he said quietly.

 

“awwe already?” Kylie pouted.

 

“you can always come back to play” I bent down so that I am at her height.

 

“okay!” she jumped up and down.

 

*knock Knock*

 

“your parents are here” I held Kylie’s hand while Mark pushed the stroller to the front door.

I opened the door to greet Mark’s sister and her husband.

 

“thank you guys so much!” his sister flashed the brightest smile.

 

“no problem” I smiled back and let Kylie go so she could go to her mom.

“I’m so sorry, I heard from Mark that it was your two years anniversary today” Kylie’s mom knitted her eyebrows together with pure guilt.

 

“oh no it’s fine, we didn’t have anything to do anyways” I assured them and they smiled back.

 

“when you guys have kids, we will help you guys babysit for sure” Mark’s brother-in law chuckled, making me blush a little at the fact that they mentioned about us having kids.

 

“thanks” Mark chuckled and handed the stroller over to his brother- in law.

 

“anyways, thank you guys so much! I hope you guys have a nice night” they both smiled before walking away.

I sighed with a smile and closed the door. The moment I locked the door, I feel Mark’s arm wrap around my waist.

 

“happy anniversary babe” he breathed in my ear, giving me goosebumps.

 

“no gifts?” I raised an eyebrow at him jokingly.

 

“hold on” he said and rushed into our room and within seconds he rushed out again with something behind his back.

I walked to the couch and sat down and he followed.

 

“happy anniversary” he pulled out a teddy bear from behind his back. An extremely familiar teddy bear. It looks old and worn out, but this is the most special teddy bear. The one that he gave me when we were kids. The one that I slept with every single night. The one that I left behind at my mom’s house because I forced myself to move on. How did he get it back? I told my mom to donate it or throw it away.

 

“...how did you…?” I asked while I am still looking at the bear.

 

“your mom returned it back to me. She told me to keep it safe until you want it back” he explained. I completely melted at his words and at the fact that my mom knows me so well.

I reached for the teddy bear and flipped it around to see that some words are stitched on the of the bear.

 

Belongs to: My everything <3

 

Tears of joy and guilt fogged over my eyes as I looked at him and leaned in to kiss him softly on the lips.

 

“thank you, I love it” I smiled and hugged the bear tightly.

 

“now what did you get me?” he chuckled. I hesitated before taking a deep breath and sat up straight, making sure that I am directly facing him.

 

“... a baby” I finally let it out and now I am waiting anxiously for his reaction. At first his face is blank, then confusion and then a spark of excitement.

 

“...a baby..?” he inched closer to me, just to confirm with his gift.

 

“mhmm” I nodded as I bit my lips, still feeling nervous about this whole thing.

 

“wait...a baby..??” he pretended to hold a baby in his arm, rocking it back and forth.

 

“do you not want one?” I knitted my eyebrows together at his lack of joy about this whole situation.

 

“no no no..wait no I mean yes..wait no are you pregnant?” he stuttered nervously. I kept my eyes on him and nodded a yes. His eyes widened and looked down at my tummy, then back at me.

 

“I’m going to be a dad..?” he asked, still having a hard time processing all of this.

 

“do you want to be a dad?” I asked, just to make sure that he is ready for the child and most importantly he wants the child.

 

“Of course I do! Ever since we got married. I was just afraid that you weren’t ready for a kid, so I never mentioned it.” he began to spill everything out in excitement while still in shock.

 

“when did you find out??” he asked.

 

“a week ago…” I mumbled, knowing that he would be unhappy about the fact that I didn’t tell him.

 

“why didn’t you tell me??” he asked.

 

“I wasn’t sure… I took another test again today and it was positive.” I tried to explain.

 

“____, remember in our wedding vow we promised each other to tell each other everything.” he held my hands in his.

 

“I wasn’t sure if you are ready to be a dad…” I pouted, feeling a bit guilty for not telling him the moment I found out. “but after I saw you playing with Kylie and taking care of Kyle, I know you are ready”

 

“this is the best present ever...thank you..” he pulled me in for a long and gentle hug. I can’t help but to let a few tears slip out of my eyes, just because all of this seems like a dream. I married my first love, now our baby is on the way.

 

----3 years later----

 

It is 12:30 am and my family of four just arrived at the Incheon airport from LA. Yes, family of four. I gave birth to an adorable little girl almost three years ago, her name is Mia. She is the most gentle girl ever, I’m pretty sure she picked that up from Mark. I am currently pregnant with a baby boy and his name is Mason.

Mark carried Mia in one arm and he pushed the cart of luggages with another. Of course I insisted on helping with either one, but being the gentleman he is he told me to just walk by his side. As I walked freely in my flowy black maxi dress with a denim jacket over it, I hear a little boy giggle and scream as he ran around in the airport.

 

“Jason Wang! get back here!” an extremely familiar voice boomed, but before I turned to look for the owner of that voice, I immediately reacted to the little boy who was about to run in front of a luggage cart full of luggages, and the person does not seem aware of what is in front of him. I quickly approached the little boy as quickly as a 8 month pregnant woman can manage. But then again it was only a couple steps.

I swiftly swept the little boy off his feet and carried him by his armpits.

 

“gotcha” I smiled at the little boy and he giggled.

 

“_____, you okay?” Mark walked up to me.

 

“yeah, I’m fine. Just saved this little one” I showed my husband the extremely giggly little boy.

 

“thank you so much” a woman’s voice approached us and we turned around to see a very pretty young lady dressed in a floral maxi dress and a pair of sunglasses planted in her hair. Coming up behind her is someone I did not expect to see. Jackson Wang. Then this little boy must belong to Jackson.

 

“no problem” I handed the little boy back to his mom.

 

“long time no see” I smiled at Jackson  and he smiled back.

 

“hey” he nodded his head back at the both of us.

 

“oh you guys know each other?” his wife asked.

 

“yep” he nodded his head and I let out a chuckle under my breath, even Mark cracked a smile. It’s just hard to imagine that everything that happened 8 years ago brought us here to this exact moment.

 

“this is my wife SoJin” Jackson introduced his wife. She is a very petite girl, but she has a very elegant face.

 

“hello, I’m ____ and this is my husband Mark” I smiled and shook her hand, then she shook Mark’s hand.

 

“And this is Mia” Mark turned our daughter around to face them.

 

“Mia say hi” Mark bounced her up and down to wake her up a bit.

 

“Ann..saeyo” she mumbled sleepily and bowed her head a bit lower than necessary.

 

“annyeonghasaeyo” SoJin giggled and shook her little hand.

 

“you are so cute” Jackson also took her little hand in his.

 

“say hello to uncle Jackson” Mark said in english.

 

“hello uncle Jackson”  Mia said in perfect english. At Mia’s current age, she knows how to speak a little bit of Korean and Chinese, but mostly english.

 

“she is so smart!” SoJin beamed.

 

“Jason show them what you got” Jackson nodded his head at his son. His son giggled and gave us a little wink. I think my heart just died. That was the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. Both Mark and I bursted out laughing and I reached over to pinch his chubby cheeks.

 

“you’re so cute” I smiled at him and he smiled back, giving me a flying kiss.

“you are just like your dad” Mark comment and we all laughed because it is true.

 

“and who could that be?” SoJin pointed at my large bump.

 

“this is baby Mason” I rubbed my belly.

 

“looks like he is going to come out any time now” she commented and I nodded my head.

 

“anytime” I sighed and looked at Mark, he smiled and wrapped an around around my waist.

 

“we should get together sometime and let the kids play together, maybe they will become great friends” SoJin suggested.

 

“we’d love that” I smiled.  “I think we should get going now, Mia is really tired. but it was so nice meeting you and to see you again” I smiled at Jackson and his wife and they both smiled back.

We both walked separate directions with our kids and other half. I have this strange feeling inside of me. I feel so accomplished and successful. I picked the right person to be with. I just feel so blessed that I am married to my bestfriend.

 

“why are you smiling like that?” Mark asked me and I looked up at him and smiled even brighter.

 

“because I love you” I simply replied and that also made him smile as he began to load our stuff into the trunk of our car. I helped with strapping sleeping Mia in her seat at the back and I strapped myself in at the front. Shortly, Mark got into the driver’s seat and buckled himself in before driving out of the parking lot.

 

“you seemed pretty happy when you saw Jackson” I commented and he casually took my hand in his as he focused on the road ahead of us.

 

“why wouldn’t I be?” he asked.

 

“...well..I don’t know…” I mumbled. In fact I do know, I was expecting some awkwardness in the air between those two because after all they did try to get the same girl.

 

“because he used to like you?” Mark read my mind.

 

“...yeah I guess” I shrugged, pretending that I don’t really care.

 

“you think I should’ve been jealous?” He continued to read my mind.

 

“well yeah..I mean your wife just bumped into someone she used to like. Shouldn’t you be jealous?” I decided to spill everything.

 

“babe, he has a wife and you are my wife. Why would I be jealous?” he asked.

 

“I don’t know...because I liked him at one point” I mumbled, feeling a bit annoyed that he isn’t really reacting the way he should. Don’t judge me, I’m pregnant, my emotions and feelings are going crazy. That is just how I think he should feel.

 

“you liked him at one point” he quoted me.

 

“do you ever get jealous??” I looked at him. His perfectly pointed nose, pouty lips and chiseled jawline.

 

“yes” he replied shortly.

 

“like when?” I asked.

 

“when you were with Jackson” he said casually and a wave of guilt hit me.

 

“...but you weren’t jealous back there” I pointed out.

 

“that is because I trust you and I’m sure that you are mine now” he explained.

 

“so you didn’t trust me back then?” I asked.

 

“you know that saying when you love something you must let it go?” he asked.

 

“yes…?” I said sounding a bit confused.

 

“Well I loved you back then and I still do” he made sure to add the last part “I let you go because I figured that you should be happy and be with someone that you really love”

 

“do you remember when I told you that I was counting down when I hugged you at the bus stop?” he asked.

 

“...mhmm…” I tried hard to recall that memory.

 

“I was trying to count how many real hugs it would take before it becomes a forced hug or it is just out of the routine.” he said “I was counting down to when you completely lose your feelings for me through our hugs. Everyday I would look forward to hugging you but at the same time dread it, because I was afraid that it won’t feel the same anymore. But I would get really happy when I could tell that you still feel the same about me. That was when I realized that I have a spot in your heart, but if you ever decided to leave me and go to Jackson, I would’ve just let you go because I love you”

 

“.....”

 

“you know I’m not good with words, but what I’m trying to say is that, Yes, I do get jealous but I love you too much to do anything about it just in case I hurt you” he simplified everything.  Feeling a lump in my throat I blinked my eyes a couple times and looked down at his hand that is wrapped around mine. The way my small hand fit perfectly in his is just such a comforting feeling. I thought there was no way I could love this guy even more, but clearly I am wrong. So instead of saying something super romantic, I have no other choice but to say this.

 

“...babe...my water broke…”

 

“..what?!” he quickly looked at me and down at my legs, then back on the road then back at me again.

 

“I’m sorry I ruined the moment, but bring me to the hospital” I said as I tried to control my breathing. I immediately feel the car speed up on the highway as I gripped his hand tightly.

 

“does it hurt??” he asked, his voice full of panic.

 

“...yes...we’ve been through this” I reminded him of the time when I gave birth to Mia. The usual calm and collected Mark Tuan turned into a panicking and clueless person.

 

 

“okay okay..just breathe…” he panicked.

 

“you need it more than I do” I chuckled and then felt a pressure down there.

 

“stop joking around! You are going to give birth any second!” he yelled and I can’t help but to smile at how frantic he looks right now. It’s cute.

 

“you’re cute” I spoke my mind and I could see that he calmed down ever so slightly at my comment and his cheeks turned a little pink. This guy is so freaking adorable. We’ve been married for almost five years and he still blushes at my compliments and touches.

 

--------

 

“Mia look it’s your baby brother” I showed Mia his new born baby brother as I laid on the hospital bed, feeling as weak as ever but at the same time I feel so energized. My son is finally in my arms after such a long time.

 

“give your brother a kiss” Mark brought Mia closer to me and our son in my arms.

Mia willingly lean closer with the help of Mark and gently placed a kiss on Mason’s cheek.

 

“daddy’s turn” I smiled and Mark gave his son a kiss and then gave me a kiss. Is it weird that I still get butterflies because of him? He blushes and I get butterflies even though we are a married couple. I still feel like I’m a little girl who gets nervous when she sees her crush. I guess this is a good thing right? My feelings for him never changed, still so strong.

 

“Mia, sleep on that couch, let’s stay with mommy for the night” Mark set our extremely sleepy daughter down and she wobbled over to the very comfortable looking couch. Mark helped me place Mason back into his little crib that is placed beside me and he took a seat on the chair by my bed.

 

“you feeling okay?” he asked softly as he my cheek.

 

“mhmmm” I smiled just as soft as his voice.

 

“you should get some rest” he suggested but I shook my head.

 

“I want to stay with you”

 

“I’ll be right here” he assured me.

 

“no.. I don’t want to leave you alone” I explained and he chuckled.

 

“trust me, I’m not alone” he looked at each of his children.

 

“let’s talk” I suggested as I got comfortable on the pillow, so that I am looking directly at him.

 

“what do you want to talk about?” he asked, laying his chin on the railing of the bed.

 

“hmmm...who is your favourite now??” I asked with a devious smile. Before Mason came, Mark spoiled Mia. So obviously Mia likes her dad more, but now it is going to be more difficult for her because we can’t give her all of our attention.

 

“you” he simply replied.

 

“between the kids” I helped him out.

 

“but without you I wouldn’t have these kids” he pointed out which is true.

 

“good answer” I nodded my head with a proud smile. Proud of myself that is.

 

“your turn to ask” I said and he just shook his head.

 

“I don’t need to ask you anything”

 

“hmmm...nothing at all?” I raised an eyebrow at him.

 

“what else is there to ask? I already asked you the most important question of life and your answer was yes.” he mentioned his proposal and I smiled.

 

“do you still get butterflies when we kiss?” I asked out of curiosity.

 

“do you?” he asked.

 

“I asked you first!” I pouted like a child.

 

“so?” he shrugged, making me feel a bit annoyed on purpose. I’ll just find out myself.

 

“come here” I beckoned him to come closer and he did as he was told. I leaned in to give him a soft but passionate kiss, then pulled away.

but wh

“I got my answer” I sang and he snapped out of his shocked expression and went into a defeated smile.

 

“why do you get butterflies when you kiss your wife??” I asked, making it seem like I am judging him, but the truth is I am just trying to get him to explain to me why I get butterflies.

 

“the same reason why you get butterflies when you kiss your husband” he replied an unexpected answer.

 

“I also got my answer” he winked at me, making me blush.






 

HELLOOOOO so that was the Mark chapter!! Hope you guys like it!! I’m sorry if I disappointed you! It was more difficult to write Mark’s ending because he is more quiet and calm, but I still managed to do it! Thank you so much for waiting this long for this chapter!! I won’t be posting my original ending because i accidentally deleted it… D: but I’m sure a lot of you could guess that ____ does not end up with either one of them, but she still has feelings for them. So it is a rather sad ending, but that is how the real story ended. (based on true story). But my Mark fans out there! Tell me how you felt about this chapter!!! Did you like it?? TELL MEEEEE

Anyways, this is the last chapter of this story!! Thank you guys so much for all your support!!! LOVE YAAAAAA <3


The end.