Apologies Don't Always Fix Mistakes

Is It Okay To Love You?

My phone buzzed beside my pillow, waking me up from my much needed nap. Muttering some words that I don’t even understand, I reached for my phone and swiped to check my message. The bright lights are killing my eyes while I struggle to adjust my vision.

From: Mark Tuan

I’m outside

Crap.

I completely forgot about tonight’s party. I checked the time and it is 5:57pm. I shot up from my comfortable position and ripped my warm blanket off my body.

To: Mark Tuan

Crap. I just woke up!

From: Mark Tuan

LOL it’s okay take your time

To:Mark Tuan

Do you want to come inside?

From: Mark Tuan

sure :)

I quickly ran down the stairs to open the door for Mark. He is in a nice black suit and his orange/ red hair is styled messily, just how I like it.

“What time is the party?” I asked as I stepped aside to let him in. He politely walked in and removed his shoes. Making me realize that he is actually wearing sneakers.

"six" he replied casually as if there is nothing wrong with being late.

"what?! OK give me like 5 minutes" I said and rushed up the stairs in full speed. I dashed into my room and grabbed my dress that was laying on my chair. I ran into my washroom and stripped my pajamas off to put on my fitted dress. Just when I was about to zip the back up, I remembered that I needed my mom's help with the zipper. I tried all sorts of positions to zip the dress up, but I just couldn’t reach. I checked the time on my phone and it is already 6:01. Deciding to leave the dress ped for now, I moved onto washing my face and even brush my teeth, since I did take a nap. I wiped the cold water off my face with a towel and took my hair out of the messy bun. Impressed with the nice soft curls that it created, I brushed it out a bit with my fingers and let it drape over my chest. I checked the time again. 6:06. I quickly applied some moisturizer on my face and tried again to zip the dress up. No luck. I feel so bad for being late for the party. Especially when they are adults that I respect.

With a sigh and a nervous heart, I walked out of the washroom and out of my room to look at Mark who is scrolling through his phone on the couch.

".... Mark" I called and he immediately turned around and looked up.

"ready?" he asked and stood up.

"um no.. I need some help" I said quietly but loud enough for him to hear..

"with what?" he asked and walked up the stairs.

This is so embarrassing..

"I can't zip my dress" I mumbled. He froze mid way up the stairs and just looked at me.

"didn't you try it on when you got it?? " he asked, with a hint of tease in his voice.

"I did! It's not that I can't fit the dress, I just can't reach the zipper"  I said completely offended that he thought I am too fat for the dress.

"..ok" he chuckled and finished the last few steps up the stairs. With a deep breath, I swooped all my hair to one side so that he would not zip my hair into the dress. I turned my half back towards him. His fingertips accidentally made contact with my back as he tried to zip my dress up. After he got a hold of the small gold zipper, he pulled it all the up to the back of my neck.

"thanks" I turned around and placed my hair back to its original position after feeling that he is done.

"you look... Cool... " he stuttered, his cheeks turning pink. I raised an eyebrow at his choice of words.

"cool?"  I chuckled and he looked up with cute puppy dog eyes. This guy can easily melt my heart without even knowing it.

".. I'm sorry.. I've just never seen you like this.. " he stuttered, making me want to pinch his cheeks even more.

"wow.. You really at complimenting people"  I chuckled again and began to walk back into my room to grab my heels.

"I mean.. You look beautiful.. " he said from outside my room. I stood in my dark room for a moment with my heels in my hand, letting my butterflies take over my tummy. Taking a few deep breaths to calm the butterflies, I walked out, pretending that I didn't hear his actual compliment.

"let's go" I said and led the way down the stairs. I placed my heels down onto the floor and slipped my feet into them. I already feel uncomfortable and I just put them on.. How am I supposed to survive the night in these?

"should I bring a jacket or something?"  I asked him and myself. Debating whether or not I will need it.

"we're busing right?" I asked.

"Nope, I'm driving" Mark shook his head. I turned to him, kind of shocked that he could drive now. Well I can drive too, but I choose not to, unless I really have to. I just feel like we are all growing up too fast and I'm not used to it.

“...we’re all grown up now…” I said in a motherly tone, making him chuckle.

“we’re only 18..” he said as he held the door for me to walk out. I slowly, and unsteadily wobbled out onto the porch in my uncomfortable shoes.

“but still...we can drive now…” I said.

Mark opened the door of his car for me, waiting patiently for me to get inside as I struggle with not flashing my in this dress. This is why I dislike wearing dresses. After settling down, Mark closed the door and walked over to the driver’s side. This kind of feels like we are going to prom or something. Come to think of it..Prom is in two months..! What the hell?? Why is everything happening so quickly?! It felt like it was just yesterday when I entered high school, now I’m graduating??

“Prom is in two months…” I said, still shocked that prom is coming up and after graduating we would most likely never see anyone from our school ever again.

“mhmm” Mark hummed as he focused on the road ahead of him.

“but that’s not far from now..” I mumbled.

“yeah are you excited?” he asked.

“..not really..?” I said honestly.

“why not? Don’t all girls dream of prom?” he asked.

“I’m scared..after prom, we would never see each other again..” I said quietly.

“of course we will” he assured me.

“I might see you guys..but we won’t be as close...we will eventually drift apart..” I mumbled under my breath, feeling a rush of sadness hit me. What if Mark and I drift apart again? Just when we got closer.

“don’t let that happen” he said in a gentle tone.

“It’s hard..” I said, referring to my past experience with him and our friendship. He and I both know that this topic is something that we are both sensitive with, and I always end up running away or crying.

BzzBzzBzz

My phone buzzed in my hands and BuRin’s face appeared on my screen. Feeling a rush of relief and disappointment at the same time. Relieved that we don’t have to continue with this conversation, but disappointed that we can’t continue at the same time. I just want to clarify the entire situation and the past.

“hello?” I placed my phone by my ear.

“where the hell are you guys?!” BuRin screamed on the other line, making me pull away from my phone.

“We’re on our way, are you guys there?” I asked.

“No sh*t. Do you know how awkward I feel right now??” BuRin panicked.

“calm down!” I laughed.

“I can’t! BamBam’s mom is so friendly! Too friendly!” BuRin said dramatically. I rolled my eyes with a smile on my face.

“where are you right now?” I asked, curious of how she could speak so loudly.

“washroom, second stall” she gave me more information than I needed.

“...get out of the washroom and just stay by BamBam’s side..” I told her.

“It’s so awkward!” she whined.

“Deal with it! They are going to be your in-laws!” I teased.

“I am going to kill you.” she muttered.

“yes yes I love you too” I grinned even though she couldn’t see. After I said that, the line died indicating that she hung up on me.

“when is BamBam going to confess??” I asked the moment I pulled my phone away from my ear.

“I don’t know..” Mark lied.

“Don’t lie..” I glared at him.

“I’m not lying!” he said, pretending that he is offended by the fact that I said he is lying.

“oh please, do you think I can’t tell?” I raised an eyebrow.

“he’s planning to ask her out to prom..” Mark spilled everything. My mouth dropped open and my eyes became squinty due to my inner fangirl coming out.

“that is so cute!” I screamed and whacked his arm. He parked his car into a tight spot between two other cars in the underground parking lot.

“don’t say a word to BuRin about this” Mark warned me.

“Of course I won’t. I can’t wait to see her faint” I flapped my arms like a chicken to express how excited I am right now.

“still the same..” Mark chuckled and got out of the car while I still sat inside, trying to contain my feels. He opened my door and I unbuckled my seat belt. Mark offered me his hand. Taking a few seconds to look at it. I finally placed mine on his and he wrapped his long fingers around my hand, pulling me up from his low car.

“thanks” I smiled with my hand still in his.

Okay, I admit that I don’t want to let go and I don’t think he does either. No matter how much I don’t want to let go of his hand. I have to. We are just friends. Even though the both of us know that we want to be more than friends, I can’t just let myself do that. Especially when I am still confused with how I feel. I unwilling pulled my hand out of his gentle grip and began to walk into the fancy restaurant that the party is held in. There are more than one table in the large decorated room. There are at least seven tables that are full, everyone is chatting away with one another. I scanned the room to look for BamBam and his parents. Just as expected , they sat around the table at the very front. I looked behind me to see Mark, pointing my finger at the table with the guys and BamBam’s parents I began to walk up to them with Mark following behind.

“____! You’re here!” BamBam’s mom exclaimed. I gave her an apologetic smile and walked up to her.

“I’m so sorry that we’re late” I apologize as I let BamBam’s mom embrace me.

“It’s okay, as long as you guys are here” BamBam’s dad smiled.

"happy anniversary" I smiled as I took a seat beside BuRin and Mark.

"thank you sweetie" BamBam's mom smiled.

"noona, you look amazing" Yugyeom flashed his adorable smile.

"awwe thanks" I smiled back at the adorable maknae.

"hey.. I said you look beautiful.." Mark whined, sounding like a five year who wants mommy's attention.

"you said I look cool.. " I raised an eyebrow and the guys burst out laughing, including BamBam's parents.

"wow hyung.. You really at complimenting girls"  Jr. laughed.

"and then I said you look beautiful" Mark pouted his lips a bit, making my heart go crazy.

"oh OK, you look beautiful too" I smiled teasingly.

"you guys are adorable! " BuRin blurted out. I glared at her for not containing her fangirl feels. I am containing mine pretty well.

"_____, why didn't you bring your boyfriend?" Mr. Bam asked. Yes, I call BamBam's parents Mrs. and Mr. Bam. Their last names are too hard to pronounce. They are fine with me calling them that.

"dad." BamBam nudged his dad. He looked at his son who is giving him a very strong eye conversation, but he doesn't seem to get it. Everyone else is also looking at him.

"oh um.. We are no longer together.. " I said awkwardly. Mr. and Mrs. Bam both looked at me with eyes as wide as saucers.

"I am so sorry"  Mr. Bam apologized sincerely.

"_____, you are beautiful. You can do so much better" Mrs. Bam gave me an assuring smile.

He can do so much better. He deserves someone who only loves him and no one else.

I only smiled and looked down at my food in front of me. Out of the corner of my eyes, I see everyone shoving each other and making eye contact, having their own little silent conversation. Probably about me.

"we must go greet our guests, please excuse us" Mrs. Bam got up from the table along with her husband.

"you okay?" BuRin whispered.

"mhmm" I hummed and began to eat the Thai food in front of me. Of course I’m not okay, I’m still healing and it is not helping when someone brings it up every other day.

 

After eating, the lights became dim and slow music came on. The first couple to be on the dance floor is obviously Mr. and Mrs. Bam. They swayed happily to the rhythm of the relaxing melody. I really envy them. I know I'm only 18 and I don't need to find my soul mate yet. But seeing them so happy together just reminds me that I could be like them too if I didn't fall for both of my best friend.

Soon enough, couples started to join in on the dance floor. I looked at BamBam to see that he is looking at BuRin. I can't help but to smile at how adorable he is. He caught me looking at him and quickly looked away from BuRin. I rolled my eyes at his failed attempt on making me believe that he wasn't looking at my best friend. BamBam looked back at me and I moved my eyes to where BuRin is and I also leaned my head towards her. Telling him to ask her to dance. He knitted his eyebrows together worriedly, afraid of rejection and embarrassment. I know for a fact that BuRin won't reject him. She is waiting for him to ask right now. From a eager look in my eyes, I turned it to a glare. Telling him to hurry up and just ask her to dance. He pulled away, a bit afraid of my intense eye contact. I watched closely under the dim lights to see that BamBam is getting up from his seat and slowly approaching BuRin. I held my breath and leaned towards Mark as if I needed support, just in case I faint from cuteness overload. Placing my hand over my mouth to stop me from screaming, I watched closely.

The moment BuRin noticed her man approaching, she straightened her back and also held her breath. BamBam mouthed a few words that could not be heard over the music. He probably said something like: may I have this dance? I see my best friend tense up, but nodded. She then placed her hand on BamBam's hand and got up.

My feels. I can't.

BamBam then escorted her to the middle of the dance floor to join everyone else. Only JB, Jr, Mark and I are left at the table.

"you can breath now"  Mark's deep voice rumbled right behind me, making me realize that I was actually leaning quite far back. As he instructed, I released the breath I held in and gasped happily for air.

"did you see that?!" I whipped my head around to ask Mark. I held my breath again noticing that our faces are only inches apart. His tall nose almost touching mine. It's like time has stopped. I could hear nothing but my heart beating loudly and my blood rushing to my ears. All I see are his dark brown eyes, that looks so gentle and kind. All I smell is a fruity with a hint of mint scent from his breath. Making me want to taste that flavor with my lips.

"may I have this dance?" his fruity breath blew gently on my face. He slowly pulled away and stood up. Leaving me still in the same position with the same look on my face. Shocked. Being the gentleman he is, he offered me his hand and it took me a while to function again. I eventually managed to place my hand on his, feeling a shock and a rush of comfort and relief. He helped me up and led me to the dance floor. Couples swayed happily to the soft music, making me want to do the same. Not really fighting my strong urge to let myself wrap my arms around his neck, I closed some more distance between us and let my arms rest on his shoulders with my eyes looking down at our shoes. His black sneakers and my black pumps looks good together. He gently s his arms around my waist, pulling me a bit more closer to him. I can almost hear his heartbeat. That's how close we are. I continued to look at how feet move to the rhythm of the song, not wanting to make any eye contact.

"hey.. " Mark's deep voice rumbled over the soft music.

"you look beautiful"  he said in a much more confident and almost y tone. I slowed my little 'dance'  and slowly let my cheeks over heat.

"thanks" I looked up to meet his eyes with a smile.

"I like that smile" he said quietly, making me feel a bit awkward.

"uh thanks?" I raised an eyebrow at him along with a confused chuckle.

"it's real" he said sounding more serious. My curved lips dropped into a straight line. I'm surprised that he noticed my other 'smiles'  were not very sincere. I just feel like it's not right to smile after breaking someone's heart.. My eyes welled up with tears of guilt and gratitude. Guilty that I am smiling with another guy, but thankful that Mark managed to make me smile sincerely after all the things I had to deal with.

"thank you" I smiled once again.

-----

So the night went by with a few more dances and a dance battle between got7 and BamBam's cousins. I must say that it was a close one. They were all equally amazing.

"here" Mark placed his warm jacket over my cold shoulders.

"what about you? " I turned around to look at him.

"I might look a bit scrawny, but I'm actually pretty buff"  he smirked. Something I don't see from him everyday. I only giggled at him and walked out of the restaurant with everyone else.

"noona, you're spending the night" BamBam reminded me.

"oh I really don't need to" I shook my head, not wanting to disturb his family.

"no no, your mom said she is working late" BamBam said.

Something is fishy here..

"can I at least go home to get my pajamas? " I asked.

"uh..."  BamBam stuttered.

"no." BuRin said, I looked at her. Surprised that she is part of whatever is going on.

"you guys are being weird... " I gave each and everyone of them a suspicious look.

"I have some pajamas for you to borrow"  BamBam's mom suggested.

Okay everyone knows something.

"Umm okay.. " I said, completely unsure of what is going to happen.

"let's go"  Mark said as he held the door open for me. I stepped inside and buckled myself in. Everyone began to leave the restaurant as well.

"what's going on? " I asked Mark the moment he got inside.

"what do you mean?"  he asked with a confused face.

"come on, you know something" I said.

"I really don't know anything.."Mark kept his eyes on the almost empty road ahead of us. It is almost 1am so it should be expected that the nightlife has died down. He seems to be telling the truth, but I can't really see his eyes so I'm not sure. But something tells me that he is hiding something. Failing to push the suspicion aside, I looked out the window as Mark drove into my neighborhood, to get to BamBam's. I looked ahead at my house and the lights are on. Weird. Is my mom home? As we got closer, Mark sped up a bit, but something caught my eyes.

"stop." I demanded without taking my eyes off the familiar car parked right in front of my house.

"I said stop." I grumbled and already began to unbuckle my seatbelt. Without  any other choices, Mark pulled to a stop in front of my house. I quickly got out of the car and approached the familiar silver jeep parked in front of my house with shaky hands and a nervous feeling in my tummy. I hear the door of a car open and close.

"______, come back" Mark said and I hear his foot steps approach me. I ignored him and made my way onto my porch. I pulled my keys out from my clutch and nervously inserted the key into the lock. Every little action is taking a lot more effort than required. The click of the lock is a lot louder than usual and the creak of the door rang in my ears as I pushed the door open. I stepped inside and saw a pair of male shoes. My eyes are already starting to burn and well up with tears. I turned around the corner to look into the living room. To see someone I was afraid of seeing all my life. A middle aged man sat on the sofa across from my mom. His hair is short, with specks of grey and there are wrinkles forming around his mouth and his eyes. His lips are chapped, the same lips that used to kiss me Goodnight. His nose is tall, the same nose that I use to put mine against. His eyes are big and round, just like mine. The same eyes that I would look into when I cried or when I laughed. The man sitting in my living room with my mom right now used to be the owner of this house. This man is my dad. The same man that left my mom and I.

"______... " my mom stood up with a surprised look on her face. I ignored her and kept my eyes on the man that I used to call my superhero.

"______-ah... You're all grown up now.."  my dad has the same gentle but mysterious voice. I looked hard into his eyes through my teary eyes.

“get out.” I said through my gritted teeth and a tear rolled down my cheek.

“____. he is your dad.” my mom hissed as she grabbed my hand with her cold shaky hands.

“This man is not my dad. How could you let this monster into our house?” I grumbled.

"____, I'm so sorry" my dad said in a voice full of sorrow.

"get out now."  I pointed at the door, also where Mark is standing. My used to be dad, walked to the door with his head hung low. Mark greeted him with a bow and he nodded his head once in return.

The moment he left, I released my breath and a couple more tears rolled down my face.

"I'm not coming home tonight" I told my mom and removed my hand from her fragile grip.

Yes, I'm pissed off at my mom right now. I'm mad at her for letting the monster into our house. I'm mad at her for crying because of him again. I also don't want to see her cry. I can't handle it. I left my mom at home alone, while I walked out with Mark following behind. I just continued to walk in the dark night,  the only lights are from the street lamps. My heels clicked on the concrete sidewalks and my heavy breathing is the only thing that could be heard. I walked and walked and walked until my sore feet gave up on me. I fell onto the rough side walk, scrapping my hands and my knees. Mark rushed to me and grabbed my hands gently to examine them. Using the excuse of falling to let myself cry freely, I just sat on the cold side walk and began to let my tears fall. It's like the walls I've built to keep myself up is finally broken. It has fallen down. It wasn't very stable after Jackson left me, but Mark began to strengthen it again. But now that I saw someone that traumatized my life in my very own house, it just pushed me over the edge.

"let's go" Mark said after examining my wounded palms. Feeling anger boil, I jerked my hands out of his grip. He knew that my dad was at my house and he didn't bother to tell me. Everyone knew that he came back. They all lied to me. The people I trusted the most lied to me.

".. You.. Lied.. " I stuttered through my sobs.

"_____, I'm so sorry.."  Mark apologized sincerely, but that can't stop me from crying and feeling betrayed.

"why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"because I knew you would be like this. We all knew." Mark stated.

".. And you think not telling me would be any better?" I stuttered, the years are finally slowing down. Now I'm just tired and pissed off.

“I'm so sorry.." he apologized once again.

"no. Stop it. Stop apologizing. Apologies don't always fix mistakes." I fought through my tears to speak a bit more clearly.



HELLOOOOO MY BEAUTIFULSSSSSS!! So how was this chapter???? Many of you guys expected cute moments at BamBam’s house, bet you guys didn’t expect this!!!!!!! MUHAHA Mark and _____ are getting closer..! And BamBam and BuRin are adorable aren’t they???? Who misses Jackson?!??!?! HEHE He might return in the next chapter...who knows?! Thank you guys so much for all your comments!!!!! <3 KEEP COMMENTING XD