To Know Her Place

Imprinted

Dear  Mom,

About two weeks ago, Suho invited me to watch an interview that EXO was to be featured in; Fortune. There was a live audience and of course, the audacious Suho wanted me to be a part of it. I told him that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it, especially since I was busy studying. Sometimes, I feel as if he forgets that I'm still in college trying to get a degree. He recklessly calls me and invites me as if I have all the time in the world. Speaking of which, he's literally a celebrity so I should be the one wondering how he has the time to be annoying me every second of the day.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like it, I find it rather cute how he's always fussing about the smallest things or how he becomes frenzied whenever EXO is greeted by success. I love supporting him and I know he feels the same but sometimes, I have a hard time meeting up to his expectations of "support."

Turns out, I was able to go since it took place on a Saturday and I didn't have any major exams to worry about. Suho was ecstatic once I told him the news. Another one of his cute attributes is how his face immediately resembles that of a frog whenever his mood lights up or whenever he seems to be in a passionate state of singing, which was the face he gave once I told him I could go.

There I was, first row on the right side, third seat from the last. I wasn't exactly in the middle but I couldn't complain since I could definitely see everything from where I was.

It was a cute little stage; bean bags thrown everywhere and one gigantic cream sofa along with a mahogany coffee table set up in the middle. Across from the sofa was two white stools presumed to be the seats of the hosts. Fortune was my first show and my last. Attending variety shows weren't my thing but this particular one was exempted from the rest only because I was invited by him.

Five minutes before the show was about to start, I finally looked up from my phone, only to notice that the entire place was packed. There were mostly fangirls and almost everyone was holding up cards that read various messages either directed to one specific EXO member or all of them. The ones dedicated to Suho didn't particularly irritate me. I guess you could say, I was pretty familiar with their fame at this point and I knew they didn't mean harm; unless I was standing face-to-face with a sasaeng.

Sasaeng, that very word embodied fear and etched implacable images into my mind. I couldn't understand their craze for the members and why they would go through all that trouble just to cause anxiety in their lives. Even though I hadn't spoken to anyone about the sasaengs, I knew the members were bothered by them and concerned for the fans that support EXO wholeheartedly and those who never mean to cause any harm.

I pushed these thoughts aside and thought to myself, just enjoy this Kimi, you're just here for Suho and everyone else. As I finished these words in my mind, I felt a breeze pass me. Undoubtedly, it was a person and normally I wouldn't have cared but for some reason my head turned and my eyes darted towards the figure who was now fixing themselves into the seat next to mine. It was Minji.

"Hi Kimi! Nice to see you here. And we even sit next to each other!" she exclaimed while brushing her hair through her fingers.

"Oh hi Minji. I didn't notice you there at first. Plus, I didn't know you were interested in variety shows."

"Haha I'm not," she chuckled. "I was just invited here by Suho. I'm sure you were invited by him too I presume."

"Yeah. I wouldn't be here if he didn't. Variety shows don't really interest me. Guess we're on the same boat then," I said lightheartedly.

"Except it would be better if I wasn't sitting by you," she murmured.

What? Did I just hear that correctly?

As I was about to open my mouth to ask her to repeat what she had said a moment ago more clearly, the lights flashed on the stage and dimmed on the audience. Music blared from the surround sound system and one-by-one, each EXO member came out, smiling and waving to the audience.

Each took their place on the sofa and surprisingly, it fit all 12 members. It didn't look like a big couch from far away but I guess looks can be deceiving, just like Minji. I didn't feel comfortable sitting next to her, especially when I wasn't clear about the words she said.

The MCs started speaking and introducing themselves. Soon, the introduction from each member passed and information was being dragged out wherever it could be found. There were questions ranging from their album to their ideal types.

Everyone answered truthfully. Kris said that she had to be filial, good at cooking, and resemble that of an angel. Good job at being practical Kris, was the only comment I thought of at that time. Kai was way more realistic than Kris. He revealed that he wanted a passionate girl who was gentle and affectionate. It was interesting watching them answer the obviously unwanted questions but I felt like I was enjoying it a little too much because karma hit me right back.

Once it was Suho's turn to answer the question, I felt a cool, malignant breeze, one of immense humiliation.

"And finally, leader Suho, please describe your ideal type."

"Oh that's easy," he blushed. "It's Kimi."

"U-um, excuse me? Did you say Kimi?"

"Yes!" he proudly proclaimed.

"Well is she here? Could it be that she's sitting right here in the audience?" he ushered a hand out to the audience.

"Of course. I invited her here tonight," he smiled as he pointed in my direction.

I started waving my hands furiously at him and kept giving him death glares but he merely kept laughing and pointing towards me. The light shone on me and I could feel daggers coming from the person next to me. I didn't know what emotion it was I exactly felt at that time. It was a combination of confusion and anger. Anger was towards Suho while confusion was everything else.

The MCs kept whooping and whistling while I shamefully tried hiding my face from everyone else. Then the MCs asked me to go up on stage.

"What are you doing there? Come up here!"

I just pointed to myself, as if I was asking for permission, before making my way up to the stage. I didn't really have a choice and as I walked up to the platform, I could feel the piercing glares coming from different directions.

The MC's face lighted up with glee as he held the mic out to me, asking me to introduce myself. I turned to face the crowd, bowed slightly, and waved my hand.

"U-um, hello, I'm Kimi. Nice to meet you all."

It was awkward but the silence was broken quickly as the other MC suggested we all play a game.

Some of the members became excited while the others groaned. They were sick of games and looking foolish but of course, they couldn't object to their manager's words.

They all agreed to join and the MC's told everyone to get with a partner.

Suho furiously grabbed onto my arm as Chen reached out for mine.

I was stuck in the middle now, with Suho and Chen glaring at one another. The audience gasped at the sudden turn of events and the MCs didn't miss a chance to call it out.

"My, my, it seems there's a predicament here. I guess the both of you want dear Kimi as your partner."

Suho didn't take his eyes off of Chen and he didn't loosen his grip either. It felt like his hand was definitely going to leave a mark, and as it tightened with Chen's words, I started wincing in pain.

"She was mine first. Let go."

I guess the audience and MCs took this as a proclamation of past love and soon the whole room wound up in chaos. One of the MCs hurriedly positioned themselves right next to Chen and asked him a follow up question.

"What do you mean 'she was yours first'? Did you two used to date?" he pried.

Chen, who never removed his eyes either from Suho's stare, calmly said, "Oh nothing."

The MCs stared at each other in confusion, shrugged it off, and continued to coax them into settling on a decision. They suggested to use rock-paper-scissors as a way of determining who was going to be my partner.

Suho won and he happily held my hand as we stood next to the other groups that were already formed minutes ago. Luhan and Xiumin, Sehun and Kai, Tao and Kris, Chanyeol and Baekhyun, and Lay specifically stood out as the medium. Chen was Kyungsoo's partner but he didn't seem to mind at all.

The MCs then brought out a stack of pepero and explained that each teammate had to stand at either side of the pepero stick and eat it until there was barely any left. The team with the least amount of stick left was declared the winner. The object of the game was the MCs' hopes to snag a kiss from at least one of the teams. Things would get heated, camera's would flash, and news would spread.

Why didn't I see this coming? I thought to myself. I honestly wished at that moment that Suho hadn't pointed me out. Then, I wouldn't have to go up on stage, awkwardly introduce myself, and be stuck playing a risky game with Suho while him and Chen ignored each other from the little incident a while ago.

The MC's showed no mercy as they handed each team a green tea stick. Suho smirked at me and I playfully punched his arm. He could be so cheeky at times and I loved it but right now was not the best time.

He positioned the stick between us and as the MC's said "GO!" we started to carefully work our way closer and closer to each other.

I glanced to my right and saw Chen and D.O. horribly struggling trying not to get too close.

To my left, Kris and Tao, being stupid as always, dropped the stick after about two seconds of beginning.

I was about to laugh but I concentrated more on what was happening. It was strange because I started to feel a little nervous.

It was hard not to, I mean, Suho was staring right at me. His dark, brown orbs gazed right through me and I slowly started to feel my temperature rise.

He kept his eye contact with mine, never breaking it. He slowly inched his way closer, careful not to make any sudden movements. I could tell he was enjoying my expressions. I probably looked confused as hell.

Next thing I knew, the stick dropped as I heard a crack on the floor. Suho's lips met mine as we crashed right into each other. The meeting of our lips was soon greeted by a loud gasp coming from the crowd and unanimous chuckling from the MCs. The members stood there with smirks plastered all over their faces.

I literally turned bright red, frantically looking at anyone and everything. I could see our faces at a close up on the screen. There was no point in hiding it now. The whole entire world knew that I belonged to Suho, and he belonged to me.

Suho grasped this idea as well and refused to break the kiss. Instead, he gave a few seconds to breathe but soon attached his lips to mine once again. He deepened the kiss and kept his eyes open, intently staring into my soul as if his eyes searched for an answer in mine. The only thing I could do, was to stare right back at him. I didn't kiss him back, nor did I pull away, but I could feel with each passing second, it felt like an eternity.

I realized that he was a notorious, risky brute. He knew Minji was there. He purposely invited her to the show. He knew the game the MC's would throw out a game that would be something along the lines of this. He knew Chen only did that to spark up some heat, just so when he did this, the crowd would go nuts and Minji would know her place even more.

It worked.  She was now fuming, ready to thrash out and damage anything and everything that stood in her way. Her true aura came out as she clenched her teeth and curled her fists. She swore under her breath and I knew it involved my name. She hated me even more, now that Suho was determined to let people know we were together, let alone share it on live television for all to see.

As soon as I realized this as well, my eyes fluttered closed, and I kissed him back, relaying the answer he wanted all along. A smile crept up onto my face and I whispered, "You sneaky jerk."

As we pulled away, Suho still kept that smirk on his face but his eyes never wandered from mine.

I didn't even know what I was doing at this point. My face was definitely still flushed red but I was completely mesmerized by his eyes; the way they spoke out loud without him having to utter a single word, or the way they glistened with such affection that I was ready to melt right then and there, or the way they had my name written all over them, as if my name was the only word he ever knew.

With much love,

Kimi