A Secret Little Garden

The Art of Following the Sun

"Here!" Chanyeol booms across the cafeteria. He then somehow decides its a smart idea to use the chair as a stepping stool to get in top of the table, waving his hand around in the air like a maniac. I chuckle, shaking as my head as I walk over with my lunch.

Everyone else was already at the table. Kai, Lay, Tao, and Xiumin were defensively protecting their lunch from the dirty soles of the brown hair boy. Tao was screaming at Chanyeol because his juice box was knock over and was currently spilling all over the table.

"Oh sorry! I'll buy you a new one!" Chanyeol apologizes, then proceeds to run across the long table and jump off at the edge. I found my seat next to Lay and lays my tray down.

"Well there goes my lunch," Lay pushes his lunch, which now contains the footprint of Chanyeol's sneakers.

"Yeah me too," Xiumin agrees.

Kai smirks. "He didn't get my lunch," and takes another bite.

Chanyeol quickly returns, and presents Tao with a new juice box, before returning back his own seat. "Sooooooo Sehun."

I look away from my lunch, "Wassup?"

"How's the Luhan thing going?"

"WHAT?" Everyone's attention turns to Tao, who was squeezing so hard onto the new juice box that it explodes, spilling it all over Kai. Kai glares at Tao who was too busy to notice. "LUHAN? WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME ANYTHING? YOU MEAN LUHAN RIGHT? AS IN LUHAN?"

"Yeah, Lay didn't tell you? Sehun's got the hots for Luhan. Don't you, Sehun?" Xiumin winks in my direction.

“Wow. You actually like Luhan? How’s that working out so far?” Tao questions me with big eyes.

I start picking my food, suddenly I wasn’t hungry anymore. “Eh,” I mumble, trying to not think about it.

“Sehun’s never been rejected before though…” I smile gratefully at Chanyeol. At least someone thought I had a chanc- “But I guess there’s a first time for everything! HAHAHA.” Scratch that. I pick up a piece of chicken and threw it at the giant freak. It made contact with his shirt before falling onto his lap. He gladly picks it up and toss it into his mouth.

I growled at him.

“Oh Sehun. Forgot to tell you. We’re meeting after school by the garden today,” Kai remembers. Glad at the change of subject, I happily went along.

“Uh, sure. But why? Don’t we usually meet at the entrance?”

“No reason. Just a change of pace. Only for today,” Lay answers.

“Why didn’t anyone tell me about this earlier?” Tao frowns.

 

After School

Using my skateboard as an armrest, I prop myself on the wall of the school building.

In front of me sat the little garden bed. Since it was still winter, I expected all the plants to be dead. But surprisingly enough, some were actually growing a little. Here and there, small buds were peeking out of the soil.

Who takes care of them? I suddenly realize that there was no garden making class. This school had teachers, a janitor, and that’s all. So who takes care of these plants?

I try to think back to the beginning of this year. Were there plants growing in this garden?

Yes, yes there were. I recall the ripe tomatoes that were growing here at the beginning of the year. But they disappeared by Thanksgiving. That was the first snowfall. I was playing with the guys around here and there were Camellias.

Kai was still dating Krystal at the time and he picked a few for her. But those flowers were not grown here. Already grown Camellias were probably brought to this garden to bring color to it. But they were gone by mid-winter break.
Xiumin had forgot to buy flowers for his girlfriend’s birthday and remember the ones that were here. I came with him but all the flowers were gone. In it’s place were just dirt and a few new labels.

The same labels here right now. Curioused all of a sudden, I moved closer to examine the wooden labels. Tomatoes, basil, sweet herbs, and daisies. But who was taking care of these plants? One by one, every staff was crossed off. It must be one of the teacher’s then.

The distant chatters of students brought me back to reality.

I check my phone again, thirty minutes late. Is this a joke? I quickly type out a text to Chanyeol. Then I wait about two minutes. I glance down at my phone again and frown.

That hyper giant usually replies immediately. Where is he today? No way these guys ditch me here and went somewhere my themselves.

Buzz.

I look back at my phone. It was Chanyeol. His reply was a single word: Sorry.

I stare at my phone in fear. Okay, something was definitely up. I’m gonna leave.

But then, just as I got up, a figure appeared at the corner.

It was Luhan.

 


Bamn! I didn't really know where to go with this but I finally got it. Thanks for reading! I hope you all have a good day!