Grocery Bags

The Art of Following the Sun

This feels amazing.

I calmly exhaled before the kick, and next thing I knew, I was in the sky, flying.

How do I describe this feeling? The sharp wind coursing through my hair, everything blurs and dissapears and that high. This can definitely be compared to drugs, the intensity and the euphoric high. I wouldn't mind if I died this moment. Right here, right now.

That's how I feel everytime I get on my board. That's how I feel everytime I kick off and speed through time and space.

"Hey, isn't that Luhan?"

Wait, who?

"Crap! Are you okay?" I blinked a few times, and it takes a while longer for the numbness to go away. When that happens, I realize I'm pressed against hard concrete floor. I hear my skateboard rolling away somewhere and the left side of my face seems to be on fire.

But that doesn't matter right now. I frantically tried to sit up, using my arms to pull myself up.

Where? Where is he?

And then I saw him, his slender body gracefully moves by on the otherside of the fence. Someone approached me but I shoved them out of my way.

Why is he here?

I could make out his large blue jacket with white sleeves. I noticed during school how big it fitted on him, but it somehow still managed to bring out all his features. His beautiful hair dances along with the soft breeze, bobbing up and down as he casually strides by. And in his hands were... grocery bags?

"Yooooo, who's that?" asked a deep voice behind me.

"Luhan! You don't know Luhan?" another kid answered.

Those who were resting by the fence were whistling, laughing and trying to get Luhan's attention.

Luhan didn't even turn his head. No acknowledgement whatsoever as he continuned walking by. And then he was gone. He dissapeared around the corner and the guys by the fence quickly dispersed.

"Sehun! You okay? That was a nasty fall."

"Huh?" I jumped back when I became aware of the tall body that was just inches away from my face. It was Chanyeol. "Wow, Chanyoel back off."

"Your arm! And the left side of your face is bleeding!" I glanced down and realize the streak of red. Oh crap, this was a new shirt.

I sign, just as Kai approaches with my board. I thank him and take it.

"So.... I wonder what caused that fall...." Kai grins.

"Shut up," I mumbled. And that was when I realized how late it was getting. The sun was already gone and the darkness was settling in.

'I'm off early tomorrow so come home by six. We'll have dinner together, we haven't had that in a long time'

", I gotta go guys. My brother's gonna kill me. See you later," and I was out of there.

 

Fifteen minutes later...

Seven more blocks. Just seven more blocks. I hope he doesn't get too mad. Dear God, don't let my bro kill me. I'm not a bad person, I'm really not. I swerved around the corner. Empty streets are the best for skateboarding. Maybe getting home late isn't so bad.

"Hey, what you got there?" I cruised by, glancing at the two bodies standing on the otherwise deserted sidewalk. A pretty buff guy in hoodie was the first that I noticed. He had his hood up and almost blended in with the dark. Wow, shady much? At least try to look decent if you're going to going to mug people.

I knew immediately he was one of the gangsters. There were way too much of those around here. After my brother and I moved away from home, I quickly became familiar with the gangs around here. It didn't take long for me to realize who I should avoid in this neighborhood.

'Don't pick a fight with them. Oh Sehun, are you listening? Those guys are dangerous and they carry guns and knifes with them. If you mess with one, their whole gang will come and find you. We don't want that. We're just starting anew and you're not going to bring on more trouble. Do I make myself clear?'

Mugging, beating, killing, etc. This happens more than it should. The police doesn't even care anymore. At least not in this neighborhood. The deal was that everyone looks out only for themselves. If I saw someone getting mugged, I should just mind my own business. Calling the police would be useless. As soon as you tell them the address, they just laugh and then hang up. If I was the one getting mugged, stabbed, killed, no one would even pay me any attention. Passerbys would keep walking, as if nothing has happened. That's how it works around here.

I didn't have much of a choice. I turned away from the soon to be crime scene. But that was after I caught a small glimpse of the other person on the street. He was carrying grocery bags in both hands. His ivory clear skin glowed where his hair ended. In the dark, the shadows almost made it looked like his sunset hair had dark highlights.

It was Luhan.