To Fly Like a Bird

The Art of Following the Sun

“Luhan, what day is today?”

“Thursday, dad.”

“Oh, that’s nice.” Then it was just the sound of munching. Outside, birds were greeting each other and the sun was high in the cloudless spreadsheet of a sky. “Hey, Luhan?” At the sturdy old table, three wooden chairs were present but only two were ever used. There was no difference this morning. At one end, the neatly dressed and clean boy sits properly and softly munches away on cereal. On the other end, the stubbly old geezer, with messy uncombed hair wearing only a dirty tank top and boxers loudly munch away at his cereal.

“What?”

“So, you know. I’m suppose to get a call today about whether or not they want me...” I finish chewing and glared up. Dad grins, stupidly, scratching his head.
“Dad, when was the last time you took a shower?”

His grin disappears. Dropping his spoon in the bowl, he pauses to think. “I don’t remember,” he admits.

I sigh, “Take a shower asap. You stink.”

He throws his head back and laughs, “Hahaha. Sure. What would I do without you Luhan? You’re a good son.”

I stood up and dump the rest of my milk into the sink. “Call me at lunch to tell me whether or not you got the job. I’m going to school.”

 

In Government’s Class

“What the answer to the next question?”

“Uh, I think it’s B?” Baekhyun guessed.
“I thought it was D,” said John.

“Yeah, I think it’s D.”

“It’s D then,” the short hair girl who’s name I don’t remember declared, quickly scribbling it down. I frown. The answer is actually B. But this is just a group practice, and since it wouldn’t count towards our grades, I didn’t say anything.

“Hey, did you see the _____ show last night?”

“Aw man. Totally, it was so cool.”

Baekhyun excitedly chimed in, “I saw it too! Can you believe _____ said she hated _____? She’s going to get into so much trouble with her manager.” He shakes his head, laughing.

No one answered him, everyone was dead quiet. The other three members of our group were busying themselves with imaginary things on the walls. The short hair girl who took charge was mumbling to herself.
But then as if nothing has happen, in the blink of an eye, they resume their earlier conversation.
Baekhyun exhaled a knowing sigh, the brightness in his eyes went dim. His cheerful expression was replace by a melancholy smile. He turn his attention shamefully to his desk, drawing circles with his petite index finger.

“-right Luhan?”

I refocused my attention back at the other three. “What do you think of last night’s show?” the short hair girl encouraged.

Baekhyun had looked back up, waiting for my answer like the rest of the group. I shrug and pretend that something outside the window caught my attention.

The three laugh welcomingly. “Uh, maybe Luhan doesn’t watch things like that,” John guessed.
“Oh that would make sense. Well that’s cool.”

“Luhan probably only watch high quality stuff. Stuff that only intelligent people would get,” another one offer.

“Yeah, yeah.”

After that I stop paying attention. It’s fine as long as wasn’t concerning me. But people always have to be a nuisance and turn the conversation on me. Outside the window, three robins rested on separate branches. It’s best like that. I wish I was a bird. Then I would be able to fly away whenever things go bad. I would be able to fly anywhere I want and it would just be the sky and me. The sky wouldn’t pester me about unimportant things. I would be left alone on trees, other birds would find their own branches. Then we could all share one tree together, but respect each other’s private space like those robins. I smile at the thought.

The thud of something brought me back into the classroom. It was the table next to us.

Rainbow hair. He was rubbing the side of his head and the teacher quickly rush over, worrying excessively.

“Oh gosh. Sehun sweetheart, are you okay dear? Would you like me to help you? Do you need anything?” She abruptly grab his head and press his face into her bust. “Are you okay sweetie? Oh my, oh my.” She starts rocking his head back and forth.

“I’m fine,” he gently prives her hand off him and leans away.

“Wait, are you sure?” the teacher questions desperately and tries to grab his head again, unsuccessfully.

“I think that’s called ual molestation,” Baekhyun comments. Sehun’s eyes instantly flickers over to my table. The teacher tries again, reaching out only to have Sehun slap her hand away. Sehun turns his attention back to the teacher.

“Are you really okay Sehun?” the teacher fretted. Baekhyun was cracking up now. Like reflex, Sehun’s attention immediately shift over to my table. Baekhyun starts banging his fist on the table, his laugh rising, reminding me of hyenas.

Rainbow hair was still staring at our direction. Then it clicks, Sehun has a crush on Baekhyun.

 


Hello! So at the beginning of the class, the group self introduce themselves. That's why Luhan knows Baekhyun and John's name. I had to make that clear. Okay, bye! Thanks for reading!