Galbi and Roses

Bridging Gaps

“Buy half a dozen roses, get one stem free!” the salesman outside a mini flower boutique shouted at the crowd. His hoarse voice was barely audible that people only walked past by him but somehow he caught the attention of a young man passing by.

 

“I’ll get half a dozen roses ahjussi,” the guy said, grinning from ear to ear.

 

“Is it for a special someone?” the salesman teased as he arranged the roses into a bouquet.

 

The guy just smiled and replied,

“I hope she’ll be.”

 

Krystal’s POV

 

“Remember, your pain meds are here in the pink box, also your meds for dizziness,” Jessica unnie told me for the thousandth time. Geez, I’m not a baby anymore. She doesn’t have to treat me like one.

 

“I know unnie. It’s called MY meds you know,” I reminded her.

 

“Okay fine Miss Perfect, I’ll be back in the afternoon.” She patted my head and kissed my cheek then left for med school. Seriously, who would go to school on a Saturday afternoon? She must be going to see her good for nothing seobang again even after I declared my disapproval of their relationship. Psssh.

 

Who would have thought that my beautiful sister would fall for that Kwon Yuri? I can’t believe someone like her has thawed The First Ice Princess.

 

I leaned back into my bed and grabbed the TV remote control on my bedside table. I the humongous TV and flipped channels until I saw my favourite drama, The Heirs, airing on SBS.

 

“He ki-ki-kissed Lee Bona! Ohmygod! So sweet!” I fanned my face as the feels overflowed. I was enjoying the lovey dovey scene of Chanyoung and Bona when suddenly the screen turned black.

 

“Aish, I missed the best part,” I hissed. My hand started to search for the remote but it was no longer where I left it. I flipped my pillows here and there to find it but I was startled by the presence of a strikingly tall guy, the remote control on his hand.

 

“Yah, what the—give me that!” I exclaimed at the guy. I tried to reach out to grab the remote but faltered when I realized that I might fall of the bed.

 

“Hello, Lee Bona-shi. I think you just broke the TV,” he teased, plastering a stupid smile on his face. I gave him the death glare that he deserved until he surrendered the remote to me. “Really, anyone can be defeated by those stares, Lee Bona-shi,” he said.

 

Ignoring what the guy said, I just hurriedly pressed the ‘on’ button and to my relief, the TV sprang to life. But this time it was displaying BB cream commercials.

 

Aish. This guy ruined it.

 

“FYI, I’m way prettier than Lee Bona. And who are you to barge in my room?”

 

“You don’t remember me?” he asked while looking straight into my eyes, searching for an answer.

 

“Should I?” I asked, looking away.

 

“I guess not. But I’m Minho anyway. And I bought you these.”

 

My eyes widened when the guy brought out from his back a beautifully arranged bouquet of red roses and gave it to me. Out of excitement, I grabbed it from his hands and pulled them closer to my face.

 

The smell is so heavenly.

 

“Thank you…Minho-shi,” I said, hiding my pink shaded cheeks behind the roses.

 

“You can call me ‘Oppa’ you know,” he chuckled as he took the bouquet once more and transferred them to the vase on my bedside table. My blushing face was all out in the open at the comment.

 

Maybe we were close before all of this happened?

 

A small throb started at the back of my head.

 

“Have you eaten, Krys?” he asked. On cue, my stomach grumbled in reply. He laughed. Gosh, that laugh is so adorable. “Well, let me buy you some food,” he said before stepping out of the room.

 

And he didn’t even ask me what I want.

 

Minho’s POV

 

From what I remember Krystal likes meat, lots of them. That princess just turns into a monster at the sight of meat that Amber used to order three portions of beef for Krystal alone. I walked along the streets of Gwanak, looking for a good restaurant that sells tasty galbi. Upon reaching the end of the street, I saw Sung Jin Ramyun Shop, the place where I first met Krystal.

 

Who would think that I would actually get a second chance at her?

 

I entered the nostalgic Sungjin and took a look at the new menu which offers a variety of Korean cuisines from bibimbap to tonkatsu. I ordered two portions of galbi and sogogi-gukbap, which is some sort of porridge, of course for Krystal.

 

As I waited for my orders, I looked at the walls where our photos were hanged, Vic noona and Nichkhun hyung with the rest of the Sung Jin family, only one person missing. I partly remembered the different antics we did at Sung Jin, late night acoustic sessions and even dance offs. Of course, we were slightly drunk during those times after numerous soju bomb shots. It was during those times when everyone thought that Amber left Krystal for good. It was during those times when I tried so hard to make Krystal smile and she did.

 

Sung Jin family used to be fine without you, Am. I’m sure Krystal will be fine too.

 

“Minho-shi?” I turned around when an elderly voice stopped my train of thoughts and found Vic noona’s mother at the counter.

 

“Oh, Eommoni! How are you?” I greeted her with a bow.

 

“I’m fine, young boy. How about you and your friends?” she asked.

 

“Things are a bit…out of place Eommoni,” I replied, quite embarrassed.

 

“That’s okay, things can’t always go the way you planned them. If that were to happen, you must be God!” The elder woman laughed. I laughed along with her, feeling a bit better about all of my problems.

 

“Here are your orders. Remember, let the pieces fall into place, don’t rush them,” she said as she gave me my orders and scooted me off to the street.

 

She didn’t even let me pay for the food.

 

I walked back to the hospital and passed by the convenience store, grabbing juice for the both of us and entered the hospital once more, carrying the food and drinks.

 

As I reach the floor where her room was located, I saw a small boy sitting on one of the benches, crying.

 

“Where is your Eomma?” I asked. He just shook his head, so I decided to take him with me to Krystal’s room. As soon as I opened the door to the room and the boy saw Krystal, he ran towards her and shouted “Eomma!” He clung to her, hugging her tight.

 

“Eomma?” I heard the tone of surprise in Krystal’s voice.

 

“I guess you look like each other,” I said as I opened the food I bought on her bedside table.

 

“WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!” Krystal and the boy exclaimed.

 

Typical Krystal.

 

I watched the two eating galbi together, Krystal feeding the child with small bits. A part of my heart clenched as I looked at Krystal, reminding of what we could have been if I pushed hard enough.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“Bro, it’s not what you think!”

 

And I punched the bastard’s face hard without hesitation.

 

“Amber!” I was hurt to see Krystal running over to raise Amber up and nurse her bleeding mouth.

 

I walked towards Krystal but she stepped backward and turned sideways. Her expression changed to what looked like as her typical ‘It’s none of your business’ kind of thing. That’s when I suddenly felt very low. Maybe you’re not really important to her, Choi Minho. The thought made me even more furious this time.

 

“Look at me, Krystal Jung. Look at me!” Krystal retained the same expression on her face. “I said look at me!” I unconsciously grabbed her by the shoulder with my shaky hands then it suddenly hit me. Even if she kept the truth from me, at least she’s always honest with her expressions. I couldn’t be angry from what she truly feels.

 

“Minho, stop that! You’re hurting her!” Amber held Krystal and stood before me. “Don’t you dare hurt her! You’ll have to go through me first!”

 

“So now I’m the antagonist here, huh? And you’re the victim?” I scowled in disbelief.

 

It was unfair to think that I was the one tormenting others while in fact I was the one with the worst heartache here. A fraction of a second later and I knew tears would fall from my eyes and I didn’t want them to see me in that state. So I ended up doing what I would never do in my life; I walked out and found my way out of the building.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

We could’ve been together. I would’ve proposed to her and we could’ve been married by now.

 

“So you’re my Appa!” the child suddenly said which brought me back from my thoughts. “You’re my Eomma,” the child pointing at Krystal. “And you’re my Appa!” he said, pointing at me this time.

 

I saw Krystal looking at me like she was measuring my reaction.

 

This could be my chance. You can’t let this slip, Choi Minho.

 

I lifted the little boy and looked at him. “So if I’m your Appa…I can do this!” And I tickled him nonstop. He laughed as I tickled him more until I heard another laugh join in. I immediately stopped, surprised by her voice.

 

“What? Am I not allowed to laugh?” Krystal asked and pouted like a child.

 

Amber must be lucky getting to see your cuteness, Krystal.

 

I smiled at her remark as I helped the child up onto the bed and started to clean up the mess from the meal. The child slowly fell asleep beside Krystal while the latter covered the child with some of her blankets so that he wouldn’t get cold.

 

I was too late to react when Krystal caught me looking at her, a frown on her forehead.

 

“You were someone important to me in past, am I right?” she asked.

 

I don’t know Krystal. But I will make sure that I will be important from now on.

 

“Important isn’t really the right word for it,” I replied.

 

“Then what is the right word?”

 

I’m sorry, Amber.

 

“You loved me Krystal, I was your boyfriend before any of this happened.”

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey guys! Somelove here~ I can just feel the Minho hate overflowing already! Sorry if this chapter took too long, a certain other author had a hard time editing/writing this MinStal chapter XD Plus,its the start of our Final exams, so expect either short updates or longer waiting periods :( Sorry T.T

PS. Me no likey Minho too :P